supercharger or turbocharger - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
supercharger or turbocharger
Monday, May 30, 2005 6:42 PM
Anyone got a rsmracing stage 1 supercharger for a 2003 sunfire 2.2L ecotech..... or the turbo from cavalierconnection.com???
Or anyone know some people that rob some people?
Thanks, I live in alabama btw.

Re: supercharger or turbocharger
Monday, May 30, 2005 7:24 PM
robbing people is stupid... just thought i'd throw that out there.

kits are kits but with turbo kits, it's more fun to build your own. superchargers of course offer you instant throttle response and a lot of torque. turbos sound cooler, offer a wider area of tuning ability and upgradability in my opinion, and it's fun because turbo lag is just a gracious head start.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, May 30, 2005 7:49 PM
If you have any mechanical skills id also suggest building your own turbo kit. Even if you buy a kit your going to need to do some tweaking, and add on more parts. I just finished buying all the parts for my eco turbo. Cost about 2k including a $300 wideband gauge. I do wish I had one of cav connections turbo manifolds, they look pretty sweet. If you want to know more about what I bought hit me up on aol im or email. Im ushually pretty bored.
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 10:42 AM
Ok, heres how it breaks down, turbos can be tuned to the engine, you can use smaller sizes and get instant boost, you can use larger sizes and get more cfm, turbos build boost early and will alter the powerband of your car giving you much more power much lower and building upon that, you can make the most power with turbo engines, and tune them more effectivly...that being said you need to be very careful because building boost at lower engine speeds increases cylinder pressure by dramatic numbers, you'll blow thru headgaskets in a hurry and possibly destroy rings if you pressures are to high thats if you dont detonate before and have a piston turn to mush...be careful and turbos are great fun and a very useful upgrade.

Superchargers on the other hand are a linear boost, they start making boost further up than turbos because they are crank driven, you have some parasitic loss but the total output makes up for it, the power band will also remain pretty close to stock but will be bumped up as soon as the supercharger makes boost, so if you like how your car drives now and pulls, just want more power the supercharger is for you, its a smoother form of power adding. it also has the added benifit if creating peak boost at peak rpm of the engine creating boost up this high is good because it lowers cylinder pressure and on high compression motors that are already under some stress this is a great thing. the J's dont have this issue to the best of my knowledge.

The real negatives are that superchargers are EXPENSIVE, only a handful of companys make them, the kits are overpriced by alot in my opinion but they have the market cornered what can you do?

Turbos on the other hand are made by a few more companies, have been around a long time in the aftermarket and have a wide availability, if you were to spend 3 grand on a supercharger you would be dissapointed eventually because theres a limit to how much boost you can run, the pulleys will limit your boost to a max of say 6psi...well you can get a smaller pulley and run 8psi or 10psi but you really have to be careful because you can overwork the compressor and cause more heat, roots blowers will not make more than 6psi without substantial heat created and as far as i know you cannot intercool them on the J's

Centrifugals are much nicer, give better power output and can be set to run up to i beleive 50 pounds of boost on the bigger models so theres some room to grow, but like i said very expensive and your limited

turbos if sized right can be adjusted so you can run as little as 5psi or as much as 25psi, most wont have an issue with that but the smaller ones like mitsu t-25 on the 2g eclipse dont build high boost well at all because it passes peak effeicency to quickly and creates more heat than power. so watch the smaller turbos and be realistic, if you want a fast spunky car get a conservative sized turbo, if you want a drag car then get the biggest snail you can get to spool on your car, ALWAYS call the place your gonna get the parts from talk to them, tell them your setup and what you realistically want to do with the car and they can help you out alot. and run an intercooler if you have any plans to crank up the boost, it'll save you headaches in the long run to just go ahead and install it now.

J~
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 10:43 AM
J~ wrote:Ok, heres how it breaks down, turbos can be tuned to the engine, you can use smaller sizes and get instant boost, you can use larger sizes and get more cfm, turbos build boost early and will alter the powerband of your car giving you much more power much lower and building upon that, you can make the most power with turbo engines, and tune them more effectivly...that being said you need to be very careful because building boost at lower engine speeds increases cylinder pressure by dramatic numbers, you'll blow thru headgaskets in a hurry and possibly destroy rings if you pressures are to high thats if you dont detonate before and have a piston turn to mush...be careful and turbos are great fun and a very useful upgrade.

Superchargers on the other hand are a linear boost, they start making boost further up than turbos because they are crank driven, you have some parasitic loss but the total output makes up for it, the power band will also remain pretty close to stock but will be bumped up as soon as the supercharger makes boost, so if you like how your car drives now and pulls, just want more power the supercharger is for you, its a smoother form of power adding. it also has the added benifit if creating peak boost at peak rpm of the engine creating boost up this high is good because it lowers cylinder pressure and on high compression motors that are already under some stress this is a great thing. the J's dont have this issue to the best of my knowledge.

The real negatives are that superchargers are EXPENSIVE, only a handful of companys make them, the kits are overpriced by alot in my opinion but they have the market cornered what can you do?

Turbos on the other hand are made by a few more companies, have been around a long time in the aftermarket and have a wide availability, if you were to spend 3 grand on a supercharger you would be dissapointed eventually because theres a limit to how much boost you can run, the pulleys will limit your boost to a max of say 6psi...well you can get a smaller pulley and run 8psi or 10psi but you really have to be careful because you can overwork the compressor and cause more heat, roots blowers will not make more than 6psi without substantial heat created and as far as i know you cannot intercool them on the J's

Centrifugals are much nicer, give better power output and can be set to run up to i beleive 50 pounds of boost on the bigger models so theres some room to grow, but like i said very expensive and your limited

turbos if sized right can be adjusted so you can run as little as 5psi or as much as 25psi, most wont have an issue with that but the smaller ones like mitsu t-25 on the 2g eclipse dont build high boost well at all because it passes peak effeicency to quickly and creates more heat than power. so watch the smaller turbos and be realistic, if you want a fast spunky car get a conservative sized turbo, if you want a drag car then get the biggest snail you can get to spool on your car, ALWAYS call the place your gonna get the parts from talk to them, tell them your setup and what you realistically want to do with the car and they can help you out alot. and run an intercooler if you have any plans to crank up the boost, it'll save you headaches in the long run to just go ahead and install it now.

J~

that should be a sticky! nice post

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 11:07 AM
kick @ss post!!!!

i have the rsm 2200 v9 blower
they say its rated for 8 psi but everytime i go it rides up to 10psi

with that said i lose my power after like one run or if i am at a stop i lose my power by the time i am up to 80 or so. i have an intercooler kit that will fix that. along with an oil cooler to also help

the roots blowers from gm get heat soaked.

i should have wwent with a turbo, but i got the rsm charger for less that a turbo set up would have cost.......... but of course i got it on ebay used =)

if craig happens to read this i heard something about there being a 2 stage kit for the 2200 engine the 2stage is 10 psi i read..... i dont know how true this is but if someone can verify.... i never saw it on there webpage

so here is how my expenses broke down
$2700 for the rsm kit ebay =)
$800 for an intercooler kit from cavalierextreme.com
$130 i think for the oil cooler kit from turbotechracing.com
$38 for the b&m shift improver from turbotechracing.com

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/sinrocker/0061-2.JPG
check it
2000 Cav 4speed auto
rsm vortec v9 blower 8 psi, venom 270cc injectors, front rk strut bar,rear vibrant strut bar, jdm
floor bar stablizer, altezz tails, rsm ligthened crank pulley, upper/lower poly engine mounts,
msdingition coil packs, b&m shift improver, cooltek oil cooler, kick ass stereo with sirius,
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 1:01 PM
I love my supercharger even though its only 6 psi

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 1:46 PM
i tried to keep that post unbiased, but thats hard to do, superchargers are a good choice for most people, but hp junkies need turbos, in my opinion turbos are a much nicer way to make power, the superchargers are good on high rpm cars or daily drivers,especially when the kit comes with a reflash or a clutch setup(toyotas trd supercharger has an electric clutch to limit its spool up around town or at low rpm) because you mpg arent effected greatly till you romp on the gas, any form of boost is fun, turbos just get you there and give you options on the way .

J~
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 6:17 PM
J~ - very well said.... seems like your leaning a bit to the turbo side but hey it was still very well put. Only thing i might add would be that the GM kit is fairly cheep... i got mine for $2850 CDN and that was with all the shipping (final cost to my door) and it only took about 9hours to put in (me and my dad put it in) and there was no extra parts needed for this kit (if you wanted you dont even need gauges) and all your fuel mods are taken care of as well in the kit. And one other thing is that there is a way to intercool a GM S/C kit... It works as good if not a little better then a intercooler and its Alcohol / water injection and its good for about 10psi on the GM kit (not sure what it will do to the RSM kit since no one has tried it yet) but it is more expensive as your needing to fill the tank were as a intercooler is there, you buy it, put it in and its done... But yea if you want full brute power and know about engines, turbo is your way to go... if you want some boost and dont want to worry about any thing after its in, go with the GM or RSM supercharger kits (both are about even, they have their good and bad points)

Supercharged 2.4L
Friday, June 03, 2005 1:05 PM
...wow and I thought I knew it all, nicley put
Saturday, June 04, 2005 7:32 PM
sigh.. i wish i could afford a turbo kit

http://www.cardomain.com/id/killboxz24

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search