question about SCs for 2.4L cavys - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
question about SCs for 2.4L cavys
Monday, May 30, 2005 1:13 AM
im kinda new to the whole "boost" area of car modification, and i had a few questions i was hoping you guys could help me out with.

1) first, what is THE BEST supercharger on the market for 96-00 2.4L z24 engines, and where is a place i can get one?

2) assumming i built full internals, including rods, pistons, rings, headers, full exhaust, full injection and programmed the ECU, what do you guys think the most PSI i would be able to run is with the same SC?

3) what are STOCK internals of the z24 capable of running? how much pressure can a STOCK 2.4L engine take at the track without blowing up? anyone have some ballpark figures for me?

thanks guys!

Re: question about SCs for 2.4L cavys
Monday, May 30, 2005 1:39 AM
Look at the Sticky on the top of the page it gives you all the info you should need.

1. I think RSM offers a kit and so does GM I think you can get it at pace performance.

2. The GM Supercharger would be one of the best superchargers if you are looking at low boost and realiable.

3. I think a few ppl have ran 12-15 psi on a stock motor but that is pushing the engine to its breaking point. I have heard the rods start to snap around 250 hp not totaly sure tho and that was on a turbo. The GM Charger is prone to heat soak because of the powder coating but you can get it polished and it helps keep it cooler. The most I have heard on the GM charger for boost has been 8psi, there might be some others with a higher boost pulley tho.

Thanx Charles
Monday, May 30, 2005 2:18 AM
the only problem with the GM charger is that its not intercooled. so anything more than 6-8 psi and the ecu starts retarding the timing so much that it wont make any more power at those higher boost levels. i dont know as much about superchargers that i do about turbos, but i 'm pretty sure you can use alcohol or nitrous injection to cool down the charge temp and not have the computer go retarded at higher boost levels, that way you can make more power...someone correct me if i'm wrong..

Monday, May 30, 2005 9:04 AM
Basically, with the sorts of internal mods you're looking at, the RSM supercharger kit would be your better bet.

The GM one is best if you just want a nice boost for a low cost, but not if you're looking to make the car fast as hell. If you're looking to get the most power you can, you're going to want an intercooled RSM kit or a turbo.

Monday, May 30, 2005 1:11 PM
i kno Mr. Pute is running 10 psi on the GM s/c but he is also running alcohol injection an many other things not required when running the regular pulley.

it really all depends on wat ur lookin for, im with Wild Weasel, reliability-- GM s/c an good for about 200whp with a few other bolt on mods.. still fast from wat i hear.. the RSM setup is def good if you plan on running a fully built motor, u can intercool it an hit full boost at higher rpm's. but then again you have to compare the price tag's.. GM- $2200 from www.paceparts.com an around $3500 from RSM.. even removing the powdercoat from the GM s/c it only cools it bout 25-30 degrees. good luck. search around too, you'll find a lot of info in different posts.. thats wat i did

www.OverloadCars.net
Monday, May 30, 2005 4:15 PM
Mr Pute only has the Alcohol injection with the 2.5" pulley... no other internals, every thing in the engine like pistons and such are stock (as far as i know)
and as for good for 200hp... i think its good for more then that.... people have dynoed at like 190hp with only a intake and g/m supercharger (stock pulley)
But yea both kits have their good points and both have their not so good points... so its just personal preference i guess.. For looks and sound i would say RSM hands down... but for reliability and Warranty GM all the way

Supercharged 2.4L
Monday, May 30, 2005 7:18 PM
i meant bolt-on's as motor mounts, intake, exhuast, etc.. nothing more. an i may be wrong, but i swore Mr. Pute was runnin alky injection with his 2.6" pulley but only at full throttle

www.OverloadCars.net
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search