SC will not boost??? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
SC will not boost???
Wednesday, January 05, 2011 8:32 AM
Hey everyone, im looking for some help. I have a 2001 2.4 with the GM Supercharged Kit on it. Yesterday i put on a new started and now my supercharger will not build boost. Im assuming i hit one of the vacuum lines or something like that. Has anyone had this type of problem and could possible help me out? I have kinda checked over all lines to the charger but i do not see anything missing, not connected or any other noticable issue. I would appreciate any help, thanks guys.

Re: SC will not boost???
Wednesday, January 05, 2011 3:45 PM
You arent seeing boost on your guage or what I mean does it spin and sound like its building boost not too familiar with the m45 im sure there is some type of bypass valve like the m62 maybe its stuck open?

Thursday, January 06, 2011 2:37 AM
ima take a 2 stabs in the dark

1. too much slack in the serpentine belt perhaps?
2. bypass unit gave up the ghost

had a blown ecotec swapped 2000 cavy, now just an 02 Grand Am, and a 74 BMW 2002...
Thursday, January 06, 2011 3:10 PM
It does have a bypass valve but its underneith kinda hard to tell. how would i know if its stuck open? what what i've read that is most likely my problem but it being my daily driver right now i can't pull the charger off to check. I am seeing about two pounds of boost on the gauge. I can hear it spool up some but its weak and does not hit like it use to. It ran fine, on my way to get a new starter and when i got home i pulled the starter out from under with out touching the charger. I had to reach under it was tight to get starter out so maybe i hit to bypass and messed it up? i don't see any loose lines or anything like that. serpentine belt seems fine im pretty sure but i might check it out.
Thursday, January 06, 2011 3:17 PM
yea blind guess would be the bypass valve. Do you see normal amounts of vacuum on the gauge? As far as seeing if it is stuck open on the M62 the bypass has a little arm that you could manually move it with if the M45 is anything like that try opening the bypass by hand with the car off and then letting it close see if there is any tension on it or maybe if it moves too freely.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 6:54 PM
Edit: I cant read apparently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:51 PM

Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:10 PM
im still hung on the bypass, he says its not hitting like it used to but im new at this boost thing

had a blown ecotec swapped 2000 cavy, now just an 02 Grand Am, and a 74 BMW 2002...
Friday, January 07, 2011 12:11 PM
Thanks Yellow cavie ill check it out tonight after work maybe i can figure something out. Vacuum seems to be norman its just only getting 2-3 lbs of boost when i usually hit 8-9. I would guess i could have hit the bypass when i was working on the starter and maybe just need to tinker with it or try replacing it if that dont work. Ill keep you posted on how it goes.
Friday, January 07, 2011 12:47 PM
Well guys thanks to your help i think i just figured it out. I was looking at my bypass to see if it was stuck, as i found it was. there was a wire that run's right near the bypass valve that happened to get stuck in the bypass valve arm. I got the wire loose and the arm seems to move just fine now. The real test will be the drive home from work but i think its fixed!!! Sucks i have to wait, i cant just leave now and go for a test spin but its all good.
Friday, January 07, 2011 1:08 PM
Yea if you had a wire stuck in the arm that sounds like it would cause your issue. Hopefully it will be fixed now guess you will find out in a few hours.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:45 AM
That wire was the problem its all good now. thanks for the help and pointing me in the right direction as to where my problem was

Friday, January 14, 2011 8:04 AM
awesome good to hear you got it straightened out.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search