A turbo exhaust question - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
A turbo exhaust question
Monday, January 03, 2011 9:55 AM
My good friend Roger has a built engine (Cavaliers,Cavalier photo's and media tread page 3) before he had that engine dropped in his exhaust was a dual exhauts with a camaro muffler and of course now its a single 3" but he want's to go back to dual exhaust camaro muffler 3" in and dual 3" out, (if u ask y, its a show car). The question is will his exhaust loose back pressure?

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood

Re: A turbo exhaust question
Monday, January 03, 2011 12:15 PM
with a turbo you do not need or want back pressure...

President/Founder - 607 Motorsports
Monday, January 03, 2011 12:35 PM
jimmyc99z24 wrote:with a turbo you do not need or want back pressure...

THIS!!!!! everywhere i read you want as open exhaust as possible so 3 inch should be good but this also depends on the specs of turbo..you might be able to get away with 2.5

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Monday, January 03, 2011 1:01 PM
the Jew wrote:

THIS!!!!! everywhere i read you want as open exhaust as possible so 3 inch should be good but this also depends on the specs of turbo..you might be able to get away with 2.5

True enough. We typically will not recommend a 3" exhaust unless one is strving for 300 or more engine HP. Below that, it's not needed, and can actually hurt low speed performance due to inefficient velocity/scavenging.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 8:02 AM
My exhaust is actually 2.75" but I have a custom 3" downpipe and cutout in my DP. For me this keeps the sound to a relatively decent level around town and while cruising and then I just open it up when I feel the need

President/Founder - 607 Motorsports
Wednesday, January 05, 2011 10:23 AM
Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:
the Jew wrote:

True enough. We typically will not recommend a 3" exhaust unless one is strving for 300 or more engine HP. Below that, it's not needed, and can actually hurt low speed performance due to inefficient velocity/scavenging.

the car in question should have over 400hp ( thats is estimate) and already has 3" exhaust, but he wants to put a camaro style muffler on for dual exhaust, will this hurt or not matter as long as his muffler is 3 in an dual 3 out?

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Wednesday, January 05, 2011 10:59 AM
Cavalier Thompson wrote:
Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:
the Jew wrote:

the car in question should have over 400hp ( thats is estimate) and already has 3" exhaust, but he wants to put a camaro style muffler on for dual exhaust, will this hurt or not matter as long as his muffler is 3 in an dual 3 out?

I would not think so, as long as said Camaro muffler is designed and/or proven to support 400+ HP airflow.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Friday, January 14, 2011 10:32 PM
Thanks man thats all I needed to kno.

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Saturday, January 15, 2011 2:49 PM
open that bish up!!

CAR IS FOR SALE...Saab Kit, GM Reflash, 10 psi
Monday, January 31, 2011 7:50 AM
97&04cfcavy(04pearlcav) wrote:open that bish up!!

Lol thats the plan man.

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Sunday, February 13, 2011 9:48 PM
why not just use a y pipe and put two straight thru mufflers on it

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search