help (m62 issue) - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
help (m62 issue)
Monday, December 13, 2010 9:48 AM
As of this morning on my way to work my car is breaking up/stuttering at upper rpm and boost. I was merging into traffic uphill and over 3k rpm it feels like it hit a rev limiter my AFR went super rich like 9:1 and boost topped out at 10psi. Is this spark blow out? Regular driving is unaffected even part throttle rolling into boost like 5psi the car behaves fine, but if I accelerate hard it just falls on its face. Nothing has changed since swapping for the LSJ alternator and putting on a 3.1 inch pulley that was a few weeks ago and everything has been fine until this morning. Any advice as to what it might be or anyone had this happen? I am leaning towards ignition problems since it went super rich and stuttered as though it was misfiring.

Re: help (m62 issue)
Monday, December 13, 2010 1:03 PM
What plugs are you using and what are the gaped at? Im running NGK LTR6IX-11(one step colder) and gaped to ~.32 with my 3.1" pulley.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Monday, December 13, 2010 1:24 PM
I can't remember to be honest I want to say I went with the LTR7 I know gap was set at .35 Spark blow out is what I am leaning towards. Hopefully I will have time to check it out when I get home from work. You think .35 is too much gap? I see 13-14psi on this pulley

Monday, December 13, 2010 2:21 PM
You did re-tune when you put the 3.1 on right?

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, December 13, 2010 2:32 PM
no still on the crap flash for now thats why I only went to 3.1" AFR's aren't an issue my car was way too rich on the stock pulley and still a little rich on this one never leans out.

Monday, December 13, 2010 6:48 PM
Were any codes thrown? Usually misfires will throw a CEL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, December 13, 2010 7:58 PM

Monday, December 13, 2010 7:49 PM
Nope no CEL and it didn't do it on the way home tonight so I think it was just some random spark blow out im checking all the plugs and the gap on them.

Monday, December 13, 2010 7:54 PM
The wideband gauge would read lean with missfires....

I'm thinking boost leak. You have to take the supercharger off to change the alt. maybe a seal got pinched.

13.3 @ 106 mph Cammed
Monday, December 13, 2010 8:07 PM
Yea, im not thinking spark blow either. Im starting to think you had the bypass valve act up. You said that you normally see 13-14psi, but only saw 10 when the problem occurred at WOT. If the bypass valve didnt shut all the way you would see a drop in pressure at WOT and the comp would not see the pressure/airflow drop so it would still dump in the same amount of fuel.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 7:10 AM
Tinkles wrote:Yea, im not thinking spark blow either. Im starting to think you had the bypass valve act up. You said that you normally see 13-14psi, but only saw 10 when the problem occurred at WOT. If the bypass valve didnt shut all the way you would see a drop in pressure at WOT and the comp would not see the pressure/airflow drop so it would still dump in the same amount of fuel.

Yea the bypass valve could be it because the plugs looked fine and gap was good. Also the car didn't do it on the way home last night or on the way to work this morning. Yesterday we had snow flurries and the temp was like 18 degrees which for central Alabama is not common this time of year usually doesn't get cold like this until February. I don't think it is a boost leak the car is driven daily about 60 miles and it has been close to a month since the alternator was changed so I feel like it would have been noticed sooner but who knows. I am gonna monitor it and see if it happens any more then go from there.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:27 PM
bad gas......wrong octane? ive had that happen, fill up w/ the cheap stuff and @!#$ central.

Also bad afpr? the diaghram may have ripped and is dumping raw fuel in, had it happen to mine.
with the car unning, unplug the vacuum to the afpr and if fuel comes out, thats the issue.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:50 PM
It hasn't happened again since that morning so I think tinkles was right with the bypass getting stuck. I always fill up at the same BP have been since I got the car new in 2004. So I don't know hoping it was just a random occurrencenow it was low on gas at the time like below 1/4 tank.

Sunday, December 26, 2010 10:10 AM
spark blow out turns out to be it. Triggered cel today random multiple misfire only under wot so new plugs with the finishing of my msd swap and lower the gap a bit.

Sunday, December 26, 2010 10:18 AM
You shouldn't need the 2.2 coil swap at your power level. Good stock coils and ngk platinum 1 step colder that stock gapped at .032 should be prefect for you. Maybe 2 steps colder if you plan on drooping below a 3.0 pulley any time soon.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Sunday, December 26, 2010 11:29 AM
I already had msd on the car before the blower so just seems like good time to finish

Sunday, January 02, 2011 7:22 AM
Did it just happen once?

I tend to think its the crapflash...

mine does that from time to time, it acts like that, if I shut it off and turn it back on it seems to fix it..

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Monday, January 03, 2011 9:08 AM
it started happening after the 3.1" pulley, and it is kind of intermittent. I know its spark blow out stomping the gas will usually cause it to happen and trigger the random misfire cel. Going to go ahead and replace the plugs, and gap them smaller also it is a good excuse for me to finish the MSD since I have been running the DIS-2 box a few years already, and wires is all I have left to buy to get rid of the factory coil set up. Also plans are to get a new ecu and get off of the gm reflash come this spring.

Monday, January 03, 2011 9:28 AM
ExESIVEFIRE wrote:Did it just happen once?I tend to think its the crapflash...mine does that from time to time, it acts like that, if I shut it off and turn it back on it seems to fix it..

this happens to me every once in awhile too, i just shut the car off its fine

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Tuesday, January 04, 2011 2:45 PM
z28guy wrote:
ExESIVEFIRE wrote:Did it just happen once?I tend to think its the crapflash...mine does that from time to time, it acts like that, if I shut it off and turn it back on it seems to fix it..

What size pulley and what plugs are y'all running?

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 9:47 PM
z28guy wrote:

Same here. I cant think of anything else it could be mainly because it goes away when i restart the car. A mechanical problem would not do that.

Wednesday, January 05, 2011 7:43 AM
thats weird I never had the slightest issue like that in the 2 years I ran the stock pulley.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 3:21 AM
You can't blame sparkblow out on a flash. If it is spark blow out.

When I first read thi orginal post I thought it could be from too rich. I have had this happen on my LD9. No soo much because of the reflash, but the lack of files HPT has given us. All other GM have a IAT fuel multiplier, but we do not. I know it exist in the ECU because during the summer my AFR's were dead on and winter comes and it get super rich. So rich I got this issue and had to retune.

I realize the flash for the Eco is not tunable, but that does not mean this multiplier is not there.

FU Tuning

Thursday, January 06, 2011 3:23 AM
I just posted this same thing in the other tread. We have also run LSJ injectors in a 3+ rail with no issue what so ever. No leaks, saw 12psi of boost.

You can't blame sparkblow out on a flash. If it is spark blow out.

When I first read thi orginal post I thought it could be from too rich. I have had this happen on my LD9. No soo much because of the reflash, but the lack of files HPT has given us. All other GM have a IAT fuel multiplier, but we do not. I know it exist in the ECU because during the summer my AFR's were dead on and winter comes and it get super rich. So rich I got this issue and had to retune.

I realize the flash for the Eco is not tunable, but that does not mean this multiplier is not there.

FU Tuning

Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:15 AM
I know my issue is spark blow out from me not changing the gap with the pulley size. The flash sucks but I know its not to blame. I do have a question (Tom) S/C Fire mentioned I would read lean from misfire but if the misfire is due to spark blow out wouldn't it read rich like it did due to the fuel being injected but not ignited?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search