Injector size ? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Injector size ?
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:39 PM
alright i have a 1997 z24 cavalier. right now the engine is getting rebuilt for boost .. i have wiseco 9:1 pistons eagle h beam rods . im going to go with clevite bearings,cosmetic .30 headgasket ,arp main and head studs .. im going to break it in before the engine sees boost. really havnt decided on the turbo im going to run right now but i do have the begi fmu off my old setup im going to run till i can afford hp tuners and go that route . ok but the questions is if i run ford brown tops will i just be able to slap them on and plug them in or do i need certain harness ? and the second question is will it give me enough fuel to run about 5-7 . i know im going to up the boost later i will eventually have to change or are there some i can get off a different car if these wont be enough ?

Re: Injector size ?
Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:03 AM
and one more question i forgot .. am i going to have to do anything to the timeing ?
Saturday, April 04, 2009 9:44 AM
It might help to get your question answered if you mention what the ford brown top flow rate is cc/min lb/hr. I"m not real familiar with them or their connector.

Heres some info: http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/PartsJPEGs/Injectors/E5ZE_4.jpg

I hear a lot of guys talking about these "brown tops" and "green tops"

With the minimum information you have here all I can say is that 320 cc/min (32 lb/hr) injectors would work for 6-8 lbs of boost. So, if the brown tops are (38 lb injectors) they should work well - but you'll need a tune -everyone usually needs some tune. And your fuel system needs to be up to par to supply the increased pressures you will need on boost.

Might suggest using a stock gasket and stock thickness so you don't further increase your compression ratio. And that is "Comectic" not "Cosmetics" (gaskets vs make-up).

If you use a comectic gasket adhere to their surface finish requirements on the head and block.

Since you're rebuilding - get the head's combustion volume checked and calculate the compression ratio. Just because you get 9:1 pistons doesn't mean you're actually 9:1 compression ratio. I think that's a rough calculation and estimation on their part assuming all things being stock. If you know your compression ratio more precisely then you can hone in a safe boost level out of the gate or at least you know when you might expect knock.
Tuesday, April 07, 2009 1:22 PM
they bolt up to the 2200 no prob... dont know if its the same.
Tuesday, April 07, 2009 4:10 PM
yea my fault on spelling that wrong.. The block is getting put together right now as we speak. and as for a tune im deffinatly going to get on i know some one down here that is very well know for tunning cars and great outcome . But yea i dont know i will just research somemore on injectors thanks though
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search