some general turbo questions - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
some general turbo questions
Friday, March 20, 2009 9:04 PM
okay just had a few question so i thought i'd make a post cause its late and i cant sleep.

1. intake, with running a turbo with an intercooler what is everyeone doing for intakes, just a short intake tube with a cone filter? is it worth it running a line out the car and doing a cold air if your running an intercooler or would that be more a waste of time.

2. i beleive aaron said his turbo was a t60 i could be way off on that. running 42lb injerctors, intercooled. tuned conservatiley with hp tuners. im currently running 2 1/2" from the cat back, would it be benifical to ditch the cat and go 2 1/2" all the way back, or with just running 7-9lbs of boost will my current 2 1/4" be fine. it wouldnt kill me to just do a new exhaust since mines going on 7 years old and its sagging a bit.

3. intercooler size. on my above previous levels of power i'll be running would a bigger intercooler hurt me? id like something that would fill up the opening of my streetfire bumper, so thought of maybe upsizing my current intercooler. (well in the future anyway) but didnt want to go bigger if its just going to hurt me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Re: some general turbo questions
Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:37 AM
1. realistically im running a silicone elbow off my turbo and then a short piece of intake pipe then a cone filter. it would be better im sure for the intake to be somewhere else but its not necessary. many run it with it either right off the turbo or shortly there of.

2. im running 2.5" mandrel bent turbo back. this is a very heated topic for some. idealy 2.5" atleast would be your best option. one thing you have to think of is, how do you want it to sound? stock or loud? the setup i have is stock sounding. nice and quiet. no droneing in the car, not a fart can sound at all. sounds stock at idle and while cruising but you hear some turbo when i get on it for sure. sounds to me that you saying its 7 years old and sagging already that you want to replace it haha for the 7-9 psi you would be fine but 2.5" will be more beneficial.

3. just remember there are hundreds of sizes of intercoolers. you can get a wider one to fill your bumper and a thinner one that is tall enough to fill it. so many options. and at the 7-9 psi im sure you could upsize a little bit for the look you want.

Saturday, March 21, 2009 9:14 AM
An intake with filter away from the turbo will be better cause its not right in all the heat, but many have a hard time finding room to run an intake..I know I have. Its not that big of a deal though.

I would go atleast 2.5" on the exhaust, and ditch the cat. A nice resonator and muffler and the exhaust will be nice and quiet until you get on it. Im running a 2.5" dp and somewhere between 2.25-2.5" piping back to a can style muffler and its not even that loud until the wastegate opens lol. Im getting 3" piping with either a dynomax st or maybe a greddy ti, debating on throwing in a small resonator since it will be 3". May also recirculate my wastegate to keep the noise down.

A bigger intercooler will never hurt you,the cooler the air charge the better. Id say most just get a size to fill the appearance they want except for the more extreme builds who do have to worry about size for cooling purposes.

Sunday, March 22, 2009 6:18 AM
On the topic of exhaust - just remember the less backpressure, the less restriction when you approach the turbo's flow limitations. If you're only running 7-9PSI, this probably will not become an issue. However it sucks to do exhast twice

The same kind of applies to an intercooler. And no matter what anyone tells you, the coolest your charge will be with out meth injection or IC spray is ambient temps. So you can have too large of an intercooler - it will contribute to turbo lag due to a larger volume needing to be pressurized before the engine. You should ideally choose an IC that matches your desired flow, so that you get the maximum cooling efficienty with the minimum pressure drop.

Good luck

Sunday, March 22, 2009 2:35 PM
that was my concern, with exhaust and intercooling ive heard that you can get too big and actual decrease performance. im likely going to go with 2.5" when i redo it just as long as its not too big. and then go with a bigger intercooler. question is, how big is too big on the intercooler? how do i figure that out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Sunday, March 22, 2009 4:45 PM
If you're going turbo, I don't think you can go too big on exhaust. Backpressure is the enemy. That said, 3" is adequate for most street applications. Someone else can chime in with the exact flow ratings of a 3" exhaust, as the numbers escape me now...

As for the IC, you ideally want to get a CFM flow rating on the IC, and make sure it is just above the flow you're planning on running through the turbo. If the IC flow rating is below what you plan to run through the turbo, you'll have a restriction in the system, and there will be a siginificant pressure drop and heat buildup. If the IC is rated significantly higher, chances are it has a high volume and inherently more lag to pressurize. Some ICs are rated in horsepower which can be slightly misleading. A "600hp" intercooler may not be better than a "400hp" intercooler if your only running 7-9PSI on a super 60. If you think you may want to run more boost down the road and shoot for more power, maybe you can tolerate the lag now and not have to upgrade later...

Monday, March 23, 2009 10:37 PM
would having it mandrel bent or crush bend make a difference? Im doing a turbo build also and was actually looking for some of this info, im going with 3" exhaust also.

Monday, March 23, 2009 10:50 PM
Luis Marroquin wrote:would having it mandrel bent or crush bend make a difference? Im doing a turbo build also and was actually looking for some of this info, im going with 3" exhaust also.

mandrel bent tubing keeps the id the same throughout the bends as where a crush bent might say be 3" piping but only 2.75" after it was bent thus reducing flow

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 12:52 PM
mandrel for sure. its more expensive and hard to find a place to bend mandrel but i had my friends shop in chicago do it for a hell of a price using all mandrel bends! worked out flawlessly

Thursday, April 02, 2009 5:43 PM
icemike89 wrote:

A bigger intercooler will never hurt you,the cooler the air charge the better. Id say most just get a size to fill the appearance they want except for the more extreme builds who do have to worry about size for cooling purposes.

It sure does hurt you regardless if you're going for a baller big power setup or a simple mildly boosted street setup. It takes time to pressurize the intercooler, also there is also pressure drop that plays a role. There is such a thing as overkill in intercooler plumbing, and the intercooler itself.

Properly matching intercooler size to your application is integral to a nice efficient happy setup.

-Trailblazer SS - not so custom 6.0L - custom intake - custom tune
- (1) 2.4L on an engine stand (1) blown trans (2) good quad trans (1) eco trans = party

Thursday, April 02, 2009 6:56 PM
SpyhunteR wrote:
icemike89 wrote:

It sure does hurt you regardless if you're going for a baller big power setup or a simple mildly boosted street setup. It takes time to pressurize the intercooler, also there is also pressure drop that plays a role. There is such a thing as overkill in intercooler plumbing, and the intercooler itself.

Properly matching intercooler size to your application is integral to a nice efficient happy setup.

Could not agree more......

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Thursday, April 02, 2009 7:11 PM
2.5" piping minimum coming off the turbo for the exhaust.

2.25"-2.5" piping for charge pipes.

6"-8" tall intercooler with a 3" core should be plenty, especially on such low boost.

use triple ply silicone couplers minimum, and t-bolt clamps. bead roll all edges for the charge pipes and you'll thank me when you don't have to constantly pull over to fix popped couplers.

Friday, April 03, 2009 9:02 AM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:2.5" piping minimum coming off the turbo for the exhaust.

6"-8" tall intercooler with a 3" core should be plenty, especially on such low boost.

use triple ply silicone couplers minimum, and t-bolt clamps. bead roll all edges for the charge pipes and you'll thank me when you don't have to constantly pull over to fix popped couplers.

agreed with pj

2.5" charge pipes with bead rolled edges and with the stronger couplers and t clamps im not worried about blowing off a charge pipe. blowing one off would suck especially with mine being run under the motor and being a bitch to get to

Friday, April 03, 2009 9:49 AM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:2.5" piping minimum coming off the turbo for the exhaust.

i believe i have all of that taken care of.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search