turbo timer - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
turbo timer
Sunday, March 15, 2009 7:37 PM
what do you guys think of a cheap ebay timer? all it has to do is keep the car running, so why get a fancy expensive one? just curious

horsepower is the force that determines at what speed you hit the wall, torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it.

Re: turbo timer
Sunday, March 15, 2009 9:40 PM
you get what you pay for.

Sunday, March 15, 2009 10:30 PM
I'd go for the manual turbo timer.

Hahn Stage II - Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Turbo-back Exhaust | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | Team Green LSD | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Sunday, March 15, 2009 10:45 PM
Monday, March 16, 2009 3:49 PM
ok but i want a pen style, turbo timer. heres what i found on ebay.......
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280317452426&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=
what you guys think? i realize theres more name brand stuff out there but its expensive. this isnt expensive and does the same.

horsepower is the force that determines at what speed you hit the wall, torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it.
Monday, March 16, 2009 5:14 PM
My electronic boost controller has two built in turbo timers.
Monday, March 16, 2009 5:34 PM
what kind of controller? details please. that would interest me more then two separate units

Monday, March 16, 2009 8:23 PM
i installed a older greddy timer and got an engine check light for loss of connection with ipc, any one else got any of those ?

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:37 AM
i have the greddy tt and only issue i have sometimes is with the ground if i put the windows up or something it starts to beep as if it wants to shut off.. other then that it works great

5 seconds to find another street...

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 7:14 AM
Don't bother. At best you will need to slow the turbo down for 1minute to 30 seconds after boosting. That amount of time is often achieved by merely pulling into the parking lot, getting into the space, and actually turning off the car - not to mention that most people don't tend to boost right before they park the car. If you aren't spooling, the turbine is rotating at about the speed of an old vinyl record player, and can cool very quickly. Once the car is turned off, the source of heat is taken away from the exhaust, and that cools even faster. It's just easier and cheaper to be smart about it.

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 7:22 AM
^ Right. Coast into your spot or driveway, gather your crap. Turn off the car. Don't boost shortly before parking. No problem. Use good oil though.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 10:52 AM
Dave Dunsmoor wrote:Don't bother. At best you will need to slow the turbo down for 1minute to 30 seconds after boosting. That amount of time is often achieved by merely pulling into the parking lot, getting into the space, and actually turning off the car - not to mention that most people don't tend to boost right before they park the car. If you aren't spooling, the turbine is rotating at about the speed of an old vinyl record player, and can cool very quickly. Once the car is turned off, the source of heat is taken away from the exhaust, and that cools even faster. It's just easier and cheaper to be smart about it.

Thats one reason, but the bigger one you should be worried about is the time it takes for the turbo to "spool down". I believe that you dont have to worry about ball bearing turbos, but the older ones that use "bushings"(like rod and main bearings) you do have to worry. Because they rely on pressurized oil to prevent damage to the bearing and if you cut off the oil flow(turn the car off) while they are still "spooled" you can really do a number on the bearing.

In most cases i see a turbo timer as a waste of money, because if you just let the car idle for a minute before turning it off you're doing the same thing as the timer. But if your an emergency responder and dont have the time to let the car idle, then it would be a good idea.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:30 PM
Tinkles wrote:

In most cases i see a turbo timer as a waste of money, because if you just let the car idle for a minute before turning it off you're doing the same thing as the timer. But if your an emergency responder and dont have the time to let the car idle, then it would be a good idea.

thats me. i am an emergency responder. i dont have the time to coast into the station, then sit and gather my stuff. its boost there, pull in stop, shut it off, jump out. hop on truck as it pulls out the door. pretty simple.

i got a turbo timer for safety. i like my turbo, i want it to last, i spent the money on it and have had ZERO issues with mine. i dont have to sit there and wait for it to cool and worry about it caking the oil in my bearings because it shuts down too hot. i have it set to run for 2 minutes when the ignition goes off. hell if i have it on the setting to count up depending on driving style, ive seen it go to 4-5 minutes depending on driving style. i know every system is different but id rather be safe than sorry.

and ill take $100 insurance on a $1000 turbo....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:30 PM

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:24 PM
im with ya on that one ^^^

5 seconds to find another street...

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:31 PM
Vincent Morris wrote:
Tinkles wrote:

thats me. i am an emergency responder. i dont have the time to coast into the station, then sit and gather my stuff. its boost there, pull in stop, shut it off, jump out. hop on truck as it pulls out the door. pretty simple.

i got a turbo timer for safety. i like my turbo, i want it to last, i spent the money on it and have had ZERO issues with mine. i dont have to sit there and wait for it to cool and worry about it caking the oil in my bearings because it shuts down too hot. i have it set to run for 2 minutes when the ignition goes off. hell if i have it on the setting to count up depending on driving style, ive seen it go to 4-5 minutes depending on driving style. i know every system is different but id rather be safe than sorry.

and ill take $100 insurance on a $1000 turbo....

I know Vince, i havent forgotten our little spat about turbo timers.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 7:16 PM
I have a PIT ( Performance Import Trends ) electronic boost controller some of the features are electronic boost control,turbo timer,nitrous controller, intercooler spray bar, lo & hi boost settings.
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 9:21 PM
Dale Young wrote:I have a PIT ( Performance Import Trends ) electronic boost controller some of the features are electronic boost control,turbo timer,nitrous controller, intercooler spray bar, lo & hi boost settings.

How much did that run u? And can u give me a link to were u bought it?

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:34 AM
also the whole sitting in the car and waiting thing gets old fast. regardless if your building boost or not, the turbo is HOT. exhaust flows through it. even cruising at 2200rpm it still needs to sit and cool. hell even on our fire trucks before we put the exhaust removal hose on the truck has to idle and they have a rule for it, 5@1500. 5 minutes at 1500 rpm as to cool the truck and exhaust down. it got old for me pulling into meets, then sitting in the car for 30 seconds to a minute to let it cool. now i get there, take out the key and walk away.

its just a cheap insurance is all.

why spend so much on a turbo kit and turbo system only to cheap out in the end?

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:14 AM
^^ Exact Reason Im going wiht a greddy full auto timer.

Cheap insurance is my friend!!

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 10:33 AM
cavipower1 wrote:
Dale Young wrote:I have a PIT ( Performance Import Trends ) electronic boost controller some of the features are electronic boost control,turbo timer,nitrous controller, intercooler spray bar, lo & hi boost settings.

How much did that run u? And can u give me a link to were u bought it?

x2

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:57 PM
Here is a link to PIT's latest ebc the price is $326 http://www.fixthisride.com/showproductdetail.jsp?prod_id=58856.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search