Weird Fuel Problem, Please Help! - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Weird Fuel Problem, Please Help!
Wednesday, July 30, 2008 4:02 AM
Greetings all,

I have a very weird problem with my cavy. I appreciate any help because I'm very frustrated.

Well, it is a 99 2.4 Turboed cavy. I am using the stock MAP sensor, 12:1 FMU, 225 Walbro fuel pump.

The car was running perfectly smooth, one day while I was driving, the car started hesitating and leaning out. I tried to limp it home but half way through the car died. I tried to start it again but it wouldnt, it crancks but wont start. When I turn the key to ignition,
I heard a whining sound from the pump, much weaker than the regular pump sound. Finally it started but as soon as I touched the gas pedal it died again.
I towed it to home and next morning tried to start it and it ran like magic. Ran perfectly.

This keeps on happening. It is absolutly random. Sometimes it happens after a minute from starting the car some times hours.

I pulled the pump out and tested it, pressure is good.
I started the car and waitied until the problem happened, then I disconnected the MAP sensor, and it seemed like the car was suffocating and started breathing after I removed it. after removal, when I push the gas pedal it revs without a problem.

It seems like the MAP sensor is sending bad signal to fuel pump. I tried to put a check valve on the MAP sensor so it wont c boost but the check valve has a lot of side effects. When I put it on, when I reve the car it hasitates for a half a second.

Now, I need help figuring out if the MAP sensor is really causing this or how I can find out. And what I sould do.

Thnaks in advance....

ps: For those who know me, I am still in Saudi and things are well. I just have been so busy with work I didnt have time for myself...

Re: Weird Fuel Problem, Please Help!
Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:48 AM
sounds like the fuel pump is going... or the sock may be getting clogged then after it sits whatever clogs the sock floats away

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:49 AM
Sup Major..

Yea man my car was doing the same thing.. Try switching out fuel pumps.. Ive burnt up two Walbros.. Now I have the blazer pump in there and doing good.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:54 AM
PMed you about keepin' in touch.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:59 AM
My only guess would be that your getting fuel cut off. How much gas is in your tank when this happens? I've heard of just about everyone having problems with fuel cut off generally under 1/4 tank, but from anywhere under 1/2 tank. It may work sometimes, varying on the road angle if its allowing more fuel to gravitate towards the pump, etc.

Good luck with it tho.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:07 PM
Raed! You better freakin' get a hold of me. It sounds like the fuel pump is going on. I would get a blazer pump put in, then also do the mod that makes the pickup lower so you don't have to worry about pickup under 1/4 tank. I know you don't have to pay the gas prices we are, but I'm sure it helps if you are getting any race fuel.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:36 PM
TRD Cav Fire wrote:Raed! You better freakin' get a hold of me. It sounds like the fuel pump is going on. I would get a blazer pump put in, then also do the mod that makes the pickup lower so you don't have to worry about pickup under 1/4 tank. I know you don't have to pay the gas prices we are, but I'm sure it helps if you are getting any race fuel.

QFT

Friday, August 01, 2008 6:23 PM
QFT? What does that mean...

Friday, August 01, 2008 10:26 PM
Damn man....haven't seen you on here in ages!!!

Way off topic but welcome back!

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?
Saturday, August 02, 2008 3:24 PM
^What the hell! Someone tell me what that means!

Saturday, August 02, 2008 11:57 PM
Trey Latham (aka TRD Cav Fire) wrote:^What the hell! Someone tell me what that means!

He has/had a sweet ass Cavy and headed off to the middle east about...IDK...a year or more ago...so I was saying welcome back on here...I've not seen a post from Major in a long time!

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?

Sunday, August 03, 2008 12:00 AM
Trey Latham (aka TRD Cav Fire) wrote:^What the hell! Someone tell me what that means!

QFT = quoted for truth...

Not sure which one you were asking about...but you've been here a long time so doubt it was what I said!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Sunday, August 03, 2008 12:01 AM

Sunday, August 03, 2008 10:04 AM
BlueDeuce wrote:

He has/had a sweet ass Cavy and headed off to the middle east about...IDK...a year or more ago...so I was saying welcome back on here...I've not seen a post from Major in a long time!
LoL I know that he moved away. I'm a good friend that would have Major down for a week or two at a time. He even drove down from KS down to OK to pick me up for a bash that we then drove all the way up in one night after we got back to his place and finished out the car.

Sunday, August 03, 2008 12:56 PM
If you have access to a fuel pressure gauge... check when it's cutting out... Sounds like the pressure is dropping off. By removing the Map, no vacuum you are making the computer go full rich. Probably need a new Pump...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search