Racetronix Fuel Pump Install - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Racetronix Fuel Pump Install
Wednesday, May 28, 2008 5:20 PM
*I did this on my 02 2.4, not sure if the wiring is different on pre 2000 or 03-05 cars though*

Buy the pump and the wiring harness from

Racetronix

start by lifting your car up via jackstands or hoist

disconnect the fuel line going to the tank and the one connector on the right hand side along with the evap line

disconnect the fuel feed and return lines from the hard line fittings

here you can see one of the bolts holding up the tank, take out both of them, 1x on each side.

drop the tank.

remove the factory pump/pump holder

you will need to use an air grinder/dremel/file basically whatever you got to take off the tabs on the bottom of the racetronix pump in the pic you cant see them though

take the air grinder/dremel/file again to the stock pump holder and get rid of the castings lines/ridges

now the pump can be put into the stock holder but the clip wont lock onto the new pump assembly, i solved this by using a air grinder by notching the aluminum casing just enough so the clip could catch

*i had also tried taking the red aluminum sleeve off of the racetronix pump but it then was too small to fit and be secured inside the stock pump holder

reassemble the pump as per the directions and the repinning for the fuel level sender is included as well, very easy to do

put new pump assembly in the fuel tank and connect your harness.

reinstall the fuel tank

reinstall the fuel lines to the corresponding areas, green clip goes to the fuel filter and the blue clip goes to the return line, reconnect the evap line, plug harness back into the car

then route your wiring harness however you see fit.

hope this helps

Re: Racetronix Fuel Pump Install
Wednesday, May 28, 2008 10:14 PM
Hmmm

I didn't have to trim anything on the pump for it to fit, just the cup housing. Opposed to removing material from the pump sleeve I took some material from the tab itself and the cup/ plastic cup retainer.

There were also a few fittings on the pump that fit loosely. Ended up purchasing tighter clamps from MCMaster's website. I haven't installed mine yet but it's ready to go in whenever my engine is finished. Clyde did most of the work with the hoses since he had that part and I was messing with the cup and pump sleeve so I can't recall everything offhand.

Have you tested it, any fuel cut issues?

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 10:59 PM
i havent driven it other then getting it out of the shop and parking it. ill give it a go tomorrow probably and go from there

Thursday, May 29, 2008 5:18 AM
Nice

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:42 AM
Nice.....so the cup remains in tact....just needs "massaged" a bit to get the pump to fit in it.

Cant wait for mine to show up. Let us know about any fuel cut issues, but i doubt you will have any with that setup.

Any more pics?? especially showing the tabs you removed from the bottom of the pump??

Thursday, May 29, 2008 9:24 AM
the little tabs are just casting flash really, you will see what i mean once you get the pump in your hands. i didnt take any other pics of the pump though sorry

when installing the pump you might as well do the fuel filter and pre pump filter as well. the pre pump filter was only like $8

you can sorta see the tabs im talking about by the little brown cover in this pic

Tabs

Friday, May 30, 2008 6:44 AM
i WAS going to do the Blazer swap but now i think i may just go this route. Just hope there isn't any 1/4 or 1/8 tank cut. Any issus yet...even though it's only the 2nd-3rd day you've had it installed lol?

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:30 AM
i havent drove the car since i put the pump in, car is parked in the back of my friends shop awaiting the new motor/lsd install and gt30r turbo setup

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:46 AM
Well get on it already!!

Monday, June 02, 2008 10:54 PM
Heh.... and I was going to buy an MSD inline for 109 bucks. I like the look of this sucker better....

This is one of those moments I <3 JBO and its members.

Monday, June 02, 2008 11:23 PM
on racetronix page its says plastic tank only. Does anyone know if this pump fits in the j body metal tank?

Monday, June 02, 2008 11:44 PM
not too sure on the metal tank, someone might have to get the pump and give it a whirl

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 7:39 AM
SO_hardcore wrote:on racetronix page its says plastic tank only. Does anyone know if this pump fits in the j body metal tank?

Im sure they say plastic tank for a reason.. I thought about calling and asking why, but never got around to it..

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, June 03, 2008 7:44 AM
I think you are forgetting that these are desinged for the F-bodies....not J....

just because it will not work in the metal tank F-body.....does not mean it will not for the J-body. What are the differences between the pumps on the J-cars for metal/plastic tanks.....anyone know?

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 8:24 AM
it will work on the 99 metal tank only as we have the same fittings electrical wise on the top of the tank...and they are the hybrid car to the 00+ conversions on everything. Evap canister outback, unlike 95-98

Pile O @!#$....

Sunday, June 22, 2008 12:36 AM
well the wires are the same just the connectors are different couldn't u just re wire it? i check the part numbers for the a 98 pump and 99 and there the same. if it wont work i'll make it work lol..
Saturday, July 05, 2008 1:01 AM
anyone tried putting this in a 99 2200? or can i assume cody already tried it and was successful?
Sunday, July 06, 2008 7:32 PM
I never installed one on the 99 yet. But it "should" work since the wiring is exactly the same. I don't know about the clearances inside. I am searching down a plastic tank myself because mines all rusted and there won't be a spec of rust on my car anymore before it hits the road again.

Sunday, July 06, 2008 7:37 PM
cool looks like i will give it a shot.
Wednesday, July 23, 2008 8:07 PM
alrighty so i got a 99 2200 metal tank, super 60 running 6 psi boost, with rc 310 injectors and fmu

got this pump and decided to give it a shot. heres what i found out.

1) the pump is bigger then the stock pump even when you take it out of the red protective shroud.

2) so you gotta make something to hold it where the stock sleeve that surrounded the stock fuel pump wouldve (i used 1/8 inch fuel line hose wrapped around to just complete install still looking for something else<<<<<< this is by no means the right answer)

3) electrical components are the same, simply plugs right in the factory harness and like stated above even gives you the means to hook up your factory fuel level sending unit. and even though i bought the upgraded harness its not installed.

4) after putting everything back together decided to put about a gallon of gas in it to see if it would actually function. and to my surprise it fired right up! reved it up and couple times watching my fuel pressure gauge and wideband and the was no drop in fuel pressure, no sputter, never went lean

so all in all worth it. just need to find a sleeve that is thinner then the stock one.
Monday, July 28, 2008 8:55 PM
the upgraded wiring will actually help your pump run stronger in those WOT situations.

-Trailblazer SS - not so custom 6.0L - custom intake - custom tune
- (1) 2.4L on an engine stand (1) blown trans (2) good quad trans (1) eco trans = party

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search