gas mileage with a supercharger 2.2 5 speed ecotec - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
gas mileage with a supercharger 2.2 5 speed ecotec
Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:14 PM
yes i did a search. only found a thread containing information on mpg dropped from exhaust or w.e .

anyways to the question, is there any effect on gas mileage, negative or positive? or does it not effect it at all.

Re: gas mileage with a supercharger 2.2 5 speed ecotec
Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:33 PM
Let's take a step back and think for a second. What does a supercharger do? Makes more power. Right? Now, you're aware that to make more power you'll need to burn more fuel, correct?

There's your answer

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:36 PM
supercharger compress' more air more air = more fuel

Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:46 PM
what i was thinking was more power less stress on the motor to pull the car. as long as you drive decently
Saturday, February 23, 2008 9:05 PM
Justin McCormick wrote:yes i did a search. only found a thread containing information on mpg dropped from exhaust or w.e .

anyways to the question, is there any effect on gas mileage, negative or positive? or does it not effect it at all.

If used properly like all forms of boost on highway you will see a better mpg.. I believe Encriptor got 40 mpg on a trip to vermont or something very close to 40.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 9:43 PM
K. Vega,Now With Vitamin Boost wrote:
Justin McCormick wrote:yes i did a search. only found a thread containing information on mpg dropped from exhaust or w.e .

If used properly like all forms of boost on highway you will see a better mpg.. I believe Encriptor got 40 mpg on a trip to vermont or something very close to 40.

Well considering you've added another accessory driven off the serpentine belt, no matter how hard you try, you're going to LOSE mileage. It doesn't even have to be in boost, the friction of spinning this device alone will cause a decrease in MPG.

Misinformation truly knows no bounds.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Sunday, February 24, 2008 12:27 AM
I see about 27mpg with mixed driving

Sunday, February 24, 2008 5:19 AM
Justin McCormick wrote:what i was thinking was more power less stress on the motor to pull the car. as long as you drive decently

more power = more stress on the motor.

if your theory were true, all the 6 second drag cars out there would have card stock for internals, and our factory motors would weigh a million pounds.

its not the supercharger that 'makes' the power, your engine is the one getting all the @!#$ and abuse. The supercharger is putting more into the engine.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 8:01 AM
check ecotecforums...theres a 4 page thread comparing gas mileage between the supercharger and saab turbo

author
admiral jedi

Sunday, February 24, 2008 11:31 AM
thanks a lot
Sunday, February 24, 2008 3:20 PM
I get 18-22 mixed (mostly city)

Sunday, February 24, 2008 4:43 PM
BlownBlackZ wrote:
Misinformation truly knows no bounds.

i am already sick of you smartass, and i have only been on this forum for a little bit. I am on plenty of other forums and i don't think ive seen posts as cocky as yours. you need to get over yourself. just remember anyone can be a badass on a keyboard.

now back on topic, my buddy had a supercharged cobalt and he got decent mileage until he put that intense racing kit on his car. then it got horrible mpg.
Sunday, February 24, 2008 8:14 PM
Ask retarded questions, and you're going to be faced with these types of answers. Get used to it.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Monday, February 25, 2008 6:21 AM
lol relax he asked a question. lol I've never seen any other boards with so many tough guys yet we drive J-bodies....lol go figure.

Monday, February 25, 2008 4:50 PM
K. Vega,Now With Vitamin Boost wrote:lol relax he asked a question. lol I've never seen any other boards with so many tough guys yet we drive J-bodies....lol go figure.

no @!#$. like i said the world is fulll of internet badasses that think they are so hard when typing behind there lil keyboard.
i didnt think this was a retarted question. i think that was a pretty legit question.

thanks to everyone who helped.
Monday, February 25, 2008 4:54 PM
you also driving a cavalier. not your average badasses car either. i bought mine for gas mileage and thought of putting a supercharger on it to make it quick and fun. i know you are the type that pulls up to your average soccer mom in her mini van and you try to race her. then do your little 100mph fly by. just remember 14.33 aint @!#$ in the quarter.
Thursday, February 28, 2008 7:05 AM
Justin these guys saying it hurts gas mileage are retards and dont know what they are talking about. If you stay out of boost its increases efficiency and your gas mileage is eitheir better or the same in city. And 40mpg+ on the highway is basically the norm for boosted cars.
Thursday, February 28, 2008 7:06 AM
Sorry I cant speak for all boosted cars.......I meant to say "2.2 ecotec J bodies", not boosted cars.
Thursday, February 28, 2008 10:48 AM
Okay, I'm not claiming to know @!#$, but you're saying "boost" like it's the same with a turbocharger or a supercharger, and that's just not true.

A turbocharger runs off of exhaust, which doesn't put any more direct stress on the engine, whereas a supercharger does. I would think that between a supercharger and a turbocharger running under extremely similar conditions, a turbocharger would allow better gas mileage.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 3:00 PM
woah woah why the "you drive a cavalier/jbody" bashing? It's just like every other car scene, theres ricers who drive cavaliers/sunfires and theirs people who actually have something worth talking about.

It is what it is really, i didn't know there was like a perfect car to have that you can not get bashed for driving.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 5:31 PM
Im not even going to begin with some of the ignorance displayed in this thread but here is THE SIMPLE FACT behind the infamous PERFORMANCE and MPG question which is just a stupid question all together in my opinion but it simply lies with the operator of the vehicle. i can drive my car one day and get 15mpg or the next get 31+ depending on how i drive, but it all comes down to YOU the driver in the end. To ask "how bad or good is my gas mileage is going to be" just boggles me because if MPG really mattered to you you wouldnt be touching your cars PERIOD!!!!!! Modified vehicles (for performance) will ultimately in the end cost you more in fuel no matter what due to your drive to make it faster which translates into your need for a heavy foot.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Thursday, February 28, 2008 5:33 PM
instead of "stupid" question because typically there isnt one. I would feel more comfortable with saying "irrelevant" question. lol

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Sunday, March 02, 2008 2:26 PM
we recently turboed a trck at work and he told us that he picked up 3mpg, under steady highway and we roughly doubled the whp.
Monday, March 03, 2008 12:42 PM
I get about 31-32mpg after installing my turbo. Depends a lot on how you drive as well as your setup. I'm running a fairly large turbo, and its hard for me to make boost unless I want to make boost - which is great for fuel economy

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Tuesday, March 04, 2008 8:08 PM
a turbo or a centrifugal will, a roots wont

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search