Odd exhaust problem...I think - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Odd exhaust problem...I think
Wednesday, February 20, 2008 7:43 PM
I just installed my Spec Stage 3+ today. Got the tranny out fine, no problems, got my flywheel resurfaced. I torqued all the bolts related to the clutch to spec. When i got everything back together, and started the car, it ran like complete dump, it seems like a cylinder might not be firing. I double checked to make sure that all my sensors where plugged in, I looked around for a vacuum leak, but I found none of the above.

I had to drive home from my aunts, to my GF's during the ride, it ran like crap at low RPM's, but at like2-3000 rpms seems smooth. When I push the clutch in, the rpms dip so low it almost stalls. When i got to her house i popped the hood and revved it a few times, and discovered that i have an exhaust leak, from my wastegate. I was looking under my hood and revving it and a tiny blue flame shot out from the back of where my wastegate meets the flange. What i tihnk happened was while i supported the engine from underneath ith a jack & block of wood, i might have cranked it up a hair to far, and coupled with loose bolts might have broken the seal on the waste/manifold connection.

So i am going to correct this, but could whats happening here be caused simply by an exhaust leak? Maybe im misfiring as well, just need some insight into something i may be missing. I'm not throwing any codes, so im not sure what going on

Re: Odd exhaust problem...I think
Wednesday, February 20, 2008 8:27 PM
Well after thinking about it for a while, i think maybe i forgot to tighten one of the grounds on the tranny down. It just seems weird to me that the cr goes in running fine
and after i get it together it runs like crap. Does my bad ground scenario make sense?
Wednesday, February 20, 2008 8:38 PM
Yes yes and yes.

I chased a misfire with about 400 bucks in new parts and "warrenty" labor along with hours upon hours of my frustration time. I was about ready to sell the damn thing when I brought it into my schools shop and i sat down with it and went through checking spark. I sprayed the coils to make sure none of them were having issues with vapor or water getting inside because I found that one of the coils seemed to misfire worse than the other when i would put it on a spark tester. This was by chance and when I sprayed the coils (which are above the ground bolt on the 2200) and started it, It threw a foot long arc from the cable to the block therefore getting my attention and I discovered a 4month ongoing problem was simply a loose nut that grounds the engine block and several PCM grounds.

Check the simple stuff first.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:32 PM
and what did that have to do with boost???

Veritas Aequitas

Thursday, February 21, 2008 3:29 AM
peteyparker311 wrote:and what did that have to do with boost???

he said his wastegate was leaking....??

is it that hard to READ a post?

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, February 21, 2008 11:14 AM
well im thinking this problem is less to do with my leaking wastegate, and more to do with something else, so it might be better to move it to a different forum.

Today i checked all the grounds, and redid the one from the battery to tranny/block, seems to make the car run a little better, but hard to tell. I replaced one of my plug wires that i thought might have been bad, and i didnt see any drastic change. Lets say I'm sitting still and i go to take off in 1st. Once the clutch starts to grab, the car kinda shakes, it will also do this sometimes shifting between gears, as well as when I downshift, whenever the clutch starts to grab. When I'm driving along, and cruising it seems to be fine. What I'm thinking, is that I'm still misfiring a lil, and this is what I'm feeling when the car shakes is the unstable power delivery caused by this condition. Anyway, I'm going to redo plugs and wires in the next day or two, so ill see how it goes. The only problem i have with this scenario, is that it seems odd that i develop this misfire condition, after i do my clutch, so i still suspect something is up with the clutch. I had my flywheel resurfaced, and i don't think it was warped. baffling
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search