Turbo or Super??? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turbo or Super???
Sunday, June 03, 2007 1:10 PM
HEY EVERYONE

I needed some opinions from some boosted guys on here.

I am still trying to decide if i should run a supercharger or turbo
i setup the car for a supercharger, secret cams, header, magnaflow exhaust

but the compression i dropped cause i thought i wanted to turbo it

now i am not so sure on either one

i saw mantapart have a 2.3/2.4 hybrid engine with a supercharger putting near 300 down with a tec 3. i have a tec 3.

this has been an ongoing project and im just pissed off and confused with what i should do. the car has been a mess. i didnt do research and made lots and lots of mistakes along the way. i purchased mantapart coilovers (stupid but i will ask people about that in the suspension forum) and seems everything has been hard despite these cars being easy to work on.

k to the point
If i purchased a supercharger from GM parts direct for 1400 and then got the correct injectors for like another 400, used a smaller pulley and tuned it right what kind of power could expect?

on the other hand what if i spent the extra money got a T3/T04E .63 trim and stage 3 compressor and pushed 13 psi with good tune and 3 inch exhaust out what kind of results could i expect? I saw one guy making 360 HP to the wheels

i think the difference would be about 1800 more with the turbo. also is the tec3 kit worth it or could i sell it , cut my losses and get an HP tuners kit and save a lil dough? i have heard some good things about the tec3

JUST NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET I AM NOT SURE WHAT PATH TO TAKE

THANKS IN ADVANCE
KOOP

Re: Turbo or Super???
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:26 PM
anyone any thoughts.

who is running what with what tuning software and how do you like it?
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:41 PM
I think if you want the hassle free approach which it sounds like then I would go supercharger all the way. I have never heard of tec 3 just tech 2 from gm so lost there. People are having good luck with hp tuners though.

~Boost. Its what's for dinner!~

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 7:59 AM
We really need some more info. To be exact we need to know the compression ratio of your pistons. The performance of the GM supercharger will be greatly affected by lowering compression.

Next off what is this tec 3 you talk about? I have never heard of a tec 3. If you can point me in the right direction I would like to learn more about it.

There are only 2 superchargers I have heard of for the 2.4 and they are the GM Performance parts supercharger (often reffered to as an M45) and the one RSM sold. I have yet to hear anyone who has had both say that the RSM kit is better. Plus the gm performance parts kit is a steal at only $1400. When it was all said and done I paid almost $2000 for mine USED.

No matter what way you go HP tuners is a must. The gm reflash sucks.

I have owned both a 2002 supercharged z24 and a 2001 turbocharged z24 at the same time. The supercharged one dynoed at 214whp and the turbo one at 211whp on the same day, on the same dyno, so they were very close in power output. Both at 5 psi on an otherwise stock moter with no internal work done. I liked the supercharged one better becuase it had power you felt instantly and was more fun as a daily driver. The turbo one was fun too but it felt like a NA 2.4 until it built boost.

This is mainly based on personal preference but if it were me I would buy the GM performance parts kit and the then m62 supercharger from a cobalt SS SC or ion redline and the manifold from Mike. Here is a link to the manifold from mike. We are lucky to have this option and people should take advantage of it.
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=86927&t=86927&p=16
I would then sell the m45 as it is small for 2.4 and probably only good for 230whp tops. The m62 is what the GM performance parts kit for the 2.4 should have come with. The newer ecotec Gm performance parts kit comes with a m62 and even the Ion redline with its 2.0 liter engine. This may cost as much as a good turbo setup so in the end it really all comes down to what you prefer. I don't think you would be sorry if you went the m62 route. With a smaller pulley the m62 should easily be able to overcome the effect of the lowered compression just like a big turbo will.

If you are looking for a good palce to buy injectors I would check out http://www.injectors4u.com/ This is where I bought mine from.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:25 AM

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:19 AM
Electromotive Tec3 http://www.directignition.com/

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:49 AM
john317(AKA Gary the Old guy) wrote:Electromotive Tec3 http://www.directignition.com/

dont feel bad gary i knew what it was also

i loved my s/c , that scream scared more than a few people

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:39 PM
Guys check the Tuning Forum for HPTUNERS V ELECTROMOTIVE TEC3. i asked about the one too in just that forum.
I also asked about suspension setups in the suspension and brake forum.

I hear the TEC3 kit is for running serious power. I dont quite understand the term serious. i saw someone on here running the same turbo i was thinking about and got 362 to the wheels. so i dont know if i need the TEC3 or if i could save some money with the HPTuners. Also Mantapart has a 2.4 supercharged (same one you guys are talking about i think) paired with the TEC3 kit and making close to 300. i want to hit a 12 in my car. i think that would be great and fairly respectable.

Engine is 9:1 compression
Forged pistons and rods
Stock crank
clevitte 77 bearings
Competition cylinder head from TTR
Stock oil pump setup (saw someone on here with a stock pump running 432 HP)\
typical machine work (line bored, balanced assembly, cleaned and honed etc)
Secret Cam Swap
Thats all i can think of right now. brain kinda drained from work

Turbo or Super?
TEC3 or HPT?

thats what i have to make clear i think
what do you guys think

thanks again
koop
Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:35 PM
I was thinking the tec 3 was a supercharger for some reason. Well I sure was wrong. I really do not know enough about the that stuff to have anyuseful input there.

Since you are looking for a 12 second car I would go turbo.

As for the stock oil pump setup. Spun rod bearings seem to be the weakest link in the 2.4 even on an all stock engine. Just because the guy making 432hp is using it does not mean that it is a good idea or that it will last long. I mean you don't seriously beleive that all the guys who took the time to figure out what is needed to do the 2.3 oil pump swap and all the people who have done the swap are crazy do you? You dont really think they decided to do it because they had nothing better to do and wanted to waste money do you? All I am trying to say is I would not be so quick to say the hell with that swap.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:56 PM
I understand that. but the engine is already built. no going back. well there is but not this year. i wont even have the turbo till next spring i think.

so i might do it this winter.

but....the reason the pump was to be replaced from my understanding was because of people wanting to make power later as in shifting past 6 grand and if im not to go past 6K (so oil pump is losing pressure) would i really need to

koop
Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:27 AM
I'm not so sure, I have a '95 Cavalier 'vert w/a 2.3L & the same @!#$ty oil pump but It's my daily driver. '04 LS Sport for performance so I'm no expert here but I hear its a reliability issue, I've heard horror storries about that oil pump with just around town, below 4K rpm, driving over on the Quad4/Twin Cam Forum. Mine has 139,xxx miles no bad pump yet, then again I bought it w/136,800mi so idk what happened b4 that, lol. Good Luck though!

It beats a Honda!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search