Using an alternative coolant tank on you're eco J (tutorial) - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Using an alternative coolant tank on you're eco J (tutorial)
Saturday, June 09, 2007 6:20 PM
**All credit belongs to Dave Dunsmoore since he came up with the idea, i'm just making a tutorial explaining how to do it since its beneficial to alot of people, myself included.**

Tools /Parts Req:
2 large radiator hose clamps
4 small fuel line hose clamps
1 largeTee fitting for the radiator hos
1 smaller Tee fitting for the smaller overflow hoses
10MM Socket/Ratchet
Pliers
Screwsdriver
Razor blade
Zipties
Coolant(of course)
2 self tapping screws (small to mount the bottle to rad. support)
1 saab coolant bottle found on an 02 saab 9-3 w/ pigtail for level sensor
1 rotary tool or file
1 Drill, nothing to heavy duty.

*Prep of the Saab tank**
You will see a flat peice of plastic on the top of the tank that is level enough to serve as the perfect mounting tab, the are 4 of 5 other tabs that will make it not fit flush with the radiator support, I used a dremel to grind them down flush but a file will work as well.. then on the bottom of the tank you can see where in mounted in the saab, cut that off flush as well.. here is what the tab looks like.

When you do this you can also achieve some JDM weight reduction by removing that huge metal cooling tube that mounts to the front of the intake maifold. since there are 2 lengths of hose you can just take out the hose that mounts to the stock overflow along with the metal peice and you will have the perfect spot to attach the saab tank with your cooling system..

Well almost.. the overflow hose is pointed downware and the T fitting doesnt allow it to swivel where you need it... Soo... take the entire driver side radiator hose out and go to an auto or hardware store and get a PVC Tee fitting, {You'll want to take your hoses in with you to gaurantee you get the right size fitting!!}
...cut the hoses off the stock one and attach them to your new t fitting then you can have it in perfect position to attach to your new tank since you can rotate your overflow part of the T fitting to the top... then rummage through your scrap hose and find the peice that has a 90 degree bend in it and attach it to the T fitting and the overflow and thats that, thats where the razor blade comes in handy, just dont cut it too short!

The saab tank only has 1 smaller overflow hose fitting whereas the stock one has 2, no big deal just more hose fabrication.. you can cut the 2 hoses perfect enough to attach them with a brass Tee fitting without any bends or kinks.. next take a section of rubber hose that is convieniently located at the hardware store and run it right to the top of the new saab tank.. zip tie the "Tee'd" fitting to the upper radiator hose and you're all done, just top it off with coolant..

you can get a few general ideas of how it will fit from daves pictures found here but when using my tutorial you will have the tab with the warning sticker mounted to the radiator support..

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=135829&t=135829

I'll try to get some pictures from mine asap

------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Using an alternative coolant tank on you're eco J (tutorial)
Monday, July 02, 2007 8:52 PM
Just an FYI the Saab V6 ecopower engines have two hose provisions.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search