2.4+GT3071R+Oil Cooler, how much oil? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4+GT3071R+Oil Cooler, how much oil?
Saturday, June 09, 2007 8:52 AM
Anybody know this? lol The reason is that my oil pressure is pretty damn low at cruising speed, and by low I mean 7-10psi.. I have just a dab of a leak but that is no way in heezy that would cause my pressure drop. Now I put 5 quarts of Mobile One Synth in there... Me and my friends just think that I dont have enough oil in..

I have the K&N oil filter.. My oil cooler lines are probably about 18 inches long each one, return and feed.. That is the shortest I could go being where they are located.

Could this be my issue, that I just dont have enough oil in there?

Thanks.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Re: 2.4+GT3071R+Oil Cooler, how much oil?
Saturday, June 09, 2007 12:11 PM
If your pressures are that low above 1000 rpms then there is something wrong. Be it sender, bottom end or top end.... Stop driving it and get a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it ASAP!!!!!

Saturday, June 09, 2007 12:58 PM
if you "overfill" the oil, the turbo will smoke like a pig at idle.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Saturday, June 09, 2007 2:07 PM
Yeah thats where im going to start, is the sending unit, gotta go go a new one.. This one is like 3 years old.

306 TQ
Saturday, June 09, 2007 2:22 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:Yeah thats where im going to start, is the sending unit, gotta go go a new one.. This one is like 3 years old.

Test it with a mechanical gauge first before you go out and buy anything.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Saturday, June 09, 2007 4:48 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:

Thanks.

umm.. check the dipstick??

Saturday, June 09, 2007 11:27 PM
RyZ96 wrote:
WHITECAVY wrote:

Thanks.

I believe he's asking if he needs to add more to make up for whatever amount is circulating in the cooler.

Blew it up, build numbers coming soon
Sunday, June 10, 2007 9:59 AM
RyZ96- REALLY?

Pete, yea thats what I was asking...

I gotta go out and grab a mechanical guage from somewhere..

Thanks guys.

306 TQ
Sunday, June 10, 2007 10:08 AM
98redcavz24 (LD9Stunner) wrote:
RyZ96 wrote:
WHITECAVY wrote:

Thanks.

I believe he's asking if he needs to add more to make up for whatever amount is circulating in the cooler.

and why couldn't you figure it out by checking your dipstick? its quite simple solution.... fill oil with the normal amount of oil you use, run the car, check the dipstick. add if needed

its funny that you can figure out your pressure problem, but don't know if you should add more oil or not.

Sunday, June 10, 2007 2:16 PM
^^Your retarted, and have no Idea what im asking in this post.. Thanks for pointing out the obvious though.

306 TQ
Sunday, June 10, 2007 5:22 PM
RyZ96 wrote:
RyZ96 wrote:
WHITECAVY wrote:

Thanks.

and why couldn't you figure it out by checking your dipstick? its quite simple solution.... fill oil with the normal amount of oil you use, run the car, check the dipstick. add if needed

its funny that you can figure out your pressure problem, but don't know if you should add more oil or not.

wtf man? the dipstick would read full regardless if there was enough oil going through the cooler or not, it reads the amount of oil in the PAN not the entire system.

Sunday, June 10, 2007 7:03 PM
z yaaaa wrote:
RyZ96 wrote:
RyZ96 wrote:
WHITECAVY wrote:

Thanks.

wtf man? the dipstick would read full regardless if there was enough oil going through the cooler or not, it reads the amount of oil in the PAN not the entire system.

Yes but with a oil cooler oil could sit in the cooler or the lines and not drain back to the pan, so it would be lower on oil in the pan. I understand what he meant.

FU Tuning

Sunday, June 10, 2007 7:08 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:Anybody know this? lol The reason is that my oil pressure is pretty damn low at cruising speed, and by low I mean 7-10psi.. I have just a dab of a leak but that is no way in heezy that would cause my pressure drop. Now I put 5 quarts of Mobile One Synth in there... Me and my friends just think that I dont have enough oil in..

I have the K&N oil filter.. My oil cooler lines are probably about 18 inches long each one, return and feed.. That is the shortest I could go being where they are located.

Thanks.

your oil level isnt directly related to your oil pressure , meaning if you got plenty on the dipstick , then your good

how ever the level was WAY low , then youll see pressure rise then drop when there isnt anything left , tell the oil gets back to the pan

now the low pressure is more of a cause of to many things causing a pressure drop or bleeding off the volume of oil , ie..... bad oil pump , bearing causing a internal leak that is bigger than normal , or to many additional items causing the drop

Sunday, June 10, 2007 7:14 PM
RyZ96 wrote:
RyZ96 wrote:
WHITECAVY wrote:

Thanks.

go run your car, then pull the dip stick and see how accurate the reading is. once the car is turned over, oil is splashed on the dipstick and all over the dipstick tube. it wont be accurate at all. I 2nd the mechanical gauge test.

Sunday, June 10, 2007 7:47 PM
Sweet, can't wait to see some track times.

Evolution of Cavyboy-->C22t--> C24na--->c24s/c
1995 Cavalier W/2k1 Engine
GM S/C 13.940@99.78pmh w/2.068 60ft
Sunday, June 10, 2007 8:16 PM
lol, do you not check your oil by starting a car..running it for a min..shutting it off and checking the level?? yeah thats what i thought.
you don't check your oil cold.. oil does not run down into the pan right away..

go check your dipstick cold without running the car.. gaurentee you it will be way over if you have enough oil in the engine, you run the engine, then check it..

so to answer your question about enough oil... check your dipstick, its that easy.

will pressure be low because of low oil. probably not just like someone else stated

Monday, June 11, 2007 11:52 AM
how exactly are you running your oil cooler on your 2.4? I need to do this as well and wasn't exactly sure what was the best way of doing it.

President/Founder - 607 Motorsports
Monday, June 11, 2007 7:38 PM
RyZ96 wrote:

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 11:14 PM
I would say add an extra quart then start the car and let it run for a few minutes then shut it off and wait 15 - 30 minutes and check your oil level to see where you are.

2000 Z24 5spd header & catback for now.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search