Should I buy this Turbo kit??? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Should I buy this Turbo kit???
Tuesday, June 05, 2007 11:26 PM
Its on ebay, yeah i know everyone is gonna say dont buy it... but take a look first...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-02-03-05-SUNFIRE-T3T4-AR50-CUSTOM-TURBO-CHARGER-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36475QQihZ002QQitemZ120129015809QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

It's only $888 + shipping

It includes everything except the turbo manifold and the downpipe.

Should i get it?

2005 Pontiac Sunfire Sport
Custom Magnaflow DUAL exhaust!
AEM CAI and B&M Shiftplus
Bomex Body Kit Installed and Painted!!!

Re: Should I buy this Turbo kit???
Wednesday, June 06, 2007 4:12 AM
I'm gonna say no & not just because. I have a friend of mine who bought one of these no name turbochargers from ebay, not a kit just turbo, & after about a month of usage & 500 miles of driving the turbine wheel on the compressor side just shattered, well actually we don't know what happened to it but its gone. The turbo can be rebuilt but who wants to rebuilt a turbo that is brand new. He sold it to some idiot w/a Civic or Integra, one of those slow a$$ Japanese P.O.S.'s, I don't remember which one.

Typically things are shot down for a good reason. Sometimes you get that prick who just says no because of what they've heard but take my advice; stick to a repuitable company when dealing with a turbo setup. The intercooler & piiping is probably good, lol.

It beats a Honda!
Wednesday, June 06, 2007 6:08 AM
No.

This is a crappy turbo.
Wednesday, June 06, 2007 2:40 PM
But can't i always buy a turbo later and fit it with all the pipings that is included in this kit? incase the turbo breaks, a turbo isnt that much, a good T3/T4 turbo is about $500-$1500, so if this one breaks, i can still use the intercooler, pipes, blow off valve, and other stuff that is included...

This kit is only $888 + shipping, come on, thats so cheap for a turbo kit...

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 4:38 PM
So your gonna pay all this money for all knock off @!#$ that youll end up rebuying anyways because its all crap?

Buy quality parts and be done with it. You will thank me later.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 11:32 PM
Hmm, if i buy this kit, it will be $1048 after shipping, then if it breaks, (which it shouldnt cuz my friend bought a turbo kit for his CRX on ebay, and it works fine...) then i will spend about $500 - $1000 for a NICE turbo, so i end up spending to the most $2000 for the entire turbo kit, and im sure the intercooler and all the pipings will be just fine...

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 11:43 PM
Lefix wrote:Hmm, if i buy this kit, it will be $1048 after shipping, then if it breaks, (which it shouldnt cuz my friend bought a turbo kit for his CRX on ebay, and it works fine...) then i will spend about $500 - $1000 for a NICE turbo, so i end up spending to the most $2000 for the entire turbo kit, and im sure the intercooler and all the pipings will be just fine...

for $2000 you can buy quality parts and not have to worry about parts breaking. or if they do, they will get replaced by the reputable company that sold it in the first place. if you're gonna spend that much money, do it right the first time.

"im sure the parts are fine" doesn't mean they are. all the while, the seller is laughing his way to the bank with your hard earned money.

Thursday, June 07, 2007 9:05 AM
And you will need more......

- Fuel pump
- Wideband
- +++
Thursday, June 07, 2007 2:30 PM
But the hahn kit cost over $3000...

Thursday, June 07, 2007 4:07 PM
keep in mind that you get what you pay for, of course it will work, but whe you pay for a name kit like "hahn" you are paying for "real" customer support and warranty (if needed) and reliabilty.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Saturday, June 09, 2007 2:36 PM
I think (i dont know though) it wont be a bad kit f you stay under 5 psi. I wouldnt run no more than 6 and thats pushing it!!!

Saturday, June 09, 2007 9:12 PM
Kendal Brown wrote:I think (i dont know though) it wont be a bad kit f you stay under 5 psi. I wouldnt run no more than 6 and thats pushing it!!!

I doubt it would even last out of vacuum at all. Knock off parts are dangerous for your motor.... (think broke impeller blades, stuck w/g and bov) All those result in catastrophic events.....

Saturday, June 09, 2007 9:59 PM
im gonna say go for it and let us know. i know ppl who dont have problems with ebay turbos. people do have problems with ebay turbo manifolds though. dont trust the wastegate either. If the turbo does blow, get it rebuilt. it will work great, if its rebuilt properly.

believe it or not ebay turbos and kits aren't just pieced together like everyone thinks. its tested. not on j-bodies though that I know of. some do have 30 day, 90 day warranties. And if they dont follow through with their warranties that effects their ebay account. Read the comments people say. If they were so @!#$ty and didn't agree with their own warranties they would have tons of negative comments about it and their account would be closed down for good by ebay. See if you can contact previous customers and see what they have to say. They are a business, and have a building, give them a call.

I can't wait to piece the rest of my turbo kit together and make it known that not all ebay turbos are crap. Just make sure its not glued together. @!#$ theres TONS of Garrett, Turbonetics turbos that blow on people.

Just my $0.02, but its all up to you. You can piece your own kit together for just as much if you know where to look and with more quality parts.

I want to share something with you - the three sentences that will get you through life. Number one, 'cover for me', Number two, 'oh, good idea, boss', Number three, 'it was like that when I got here.'
Monday, June 11, 2007 4:36 AM
You said the magic phrase:
My buddy has an ebay turbo on his CRX.

That is a Honda. We all know you can put just about anything on a honda. You also need to look @ a few things with Cavalier vs Honda. The biggest motor that honda makes as far as I know in a D or B series is a 2.0L with absolutly no torque, thus putting the turbo thru much less abuse througt most of the powerband. Sure a honda revs forever but torque not horsepower is what's so destructive on moving parts. This is part of thr reason why Honda have a reputation for longevity their lack of torque helps the parts last longer.

Buy the kit if you want, its you're $ but I recommend against it. I wish you well if you get it, I hope it works for you for 5 million miles.

It beats a Honda!
Monday, June 11, 2007 10:07 AM
I'm surprised noone mentioned this earlier.....

its for a 95-02 & 03-05.... so aprently its meant for 3 different engine with any transmition.... I HIGHLY dought that.

Monday, June 11, 2007 10:42 AM
peronally, i say piece together your own kit. i wouldnt trust the turbo or the wastegate. you'll save time and money doing it yourself. the only thing i bought off ebay was the manifold. everything else is name brand. id prefer to do things once the right way, then having to worry about it later. I have everything i need for my kit other than exhaust & dp and i believe im sitting at around 1500, for bran new turbo parts. (also not including HPTuners which i highly recomend). if you do decide to go with it, let us know how it works out. but also dont be heart broken if the turbo falls apart.

Monday, June 11, 2007 1:32 PM
I will now prove my psychic abilities...
Lefix of the future wrote:Hey guys, my motor is not running right, it sounds like there's something rattling around inside, and there's a lot of blue smoke coming from my exhaust. How hard is it to swap in a (insert upper-end Cobalt motor here), or maybe a Northstar? That would be tits, I think my neighbor said he saw one for sale down at the docks...maybe I could buy another ebay turbo 'kit' for that...

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search