No Downpipe? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
No Downpipe?
Wednesday, June 06, 2007 11:11 AM
Hey, Im going to be installing a turbo kit in the next few weeks to a month. I have all (or will have before the install) everything that Needs to go into the car, minus a built motor.

The kit is set to 9psi from the previous owner and Im not sure if it has a boost controller (or how to change it, havent read about that yet).

Ive got bigger injectors, Begi 2025 FMU (rising rate fpr), 1 step colder plugs, wideband, etcc

Im wondering however, if I can start run and drive the car, with no downpipe attached?
I dont have the parts or tools to fab a pipe myself (I have the skills but lack the parts, sucks huh?). I am either going to drive it to a shop, or a buddys house to make the pipe. I cant do the install anywhere but my house, so driving it to my friends house to install everything isnt an option.

MY QUESTION IS: Is it safe to drive the car with no downpipe? I know the o2 and wideband are the only things on the d/p, The wastegate is on the manifold. Can I drive the car (lightly) and not worry about anything except being pulled over for loud exhaust, or will it be bad for the motor?

thanks!

Re: No Downpipe?
Wednesday, June 06, 2007 11:25 AM
You're damn right you have something to worry about - the incredible heat that is going to be coming out of the side of the turbo. If you face it towards the driver's side (the turbine), you'll melt coolant hoses, fuel lines, power steering lines....

If you face it towards the passenger side, you have the AC line to worry about, as well as not much further down the steering rack, etc.

Do yourself a favour. Tow it to the shop doing the downpipe.

Not to mention without an 02 reading the pcm will be pouring fuel into your motor.

I wouldn't call it safe by any stretch of the imagination...

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Re: No Downpipe?
Wednesday, June 06, 2007 11:31 AM
Good point, I never thought about the heat factor.... this is why I keep comming to you guys... Thanks for the advice, you just saved me a lot of frustration! haha
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search