Boost Spikes? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Boost Spikes?
Monday, June 04, 2007 3:32 PM
Ok I wasn't going to post this have been trying to figure it out myself, but can't seem 2 get it fixed. I am seeing major boost creep on my car all the time. I have a manual boost controller, tial 38mm wg, 50trim turbo, hks ssqv bov, begi fmu, ford greentops, just to give you a general idea of my setup. I ordered my wg with a 12lb spring in it, but I was never seeing 12lbs of boost in any gear only around 8 or 9psi. So I bought a manual controller and install it turn it up, now when im full throttle 2nd gear will get me a solid 12psi(once in a while spiking higher), 3rd and 4th I will see spikes of 14 to 16psi. What could be causing this? Any ideas? Thanks

<aDdiCtEd 2 BoOsT>...EcOtEc...

Re: Boost Spikes?
Monday, June 04, 2007 4:06 PM
You'll often see boost spikes with manual boost controllers, simply because of their setup. As long as it isn't constantly high, or shooting ultra-high, you should be ok.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, June 04, 2007 4:34 PM
ya it just spikes in 3rd 4th and 5th sometimes up to 16psi but no higher. so wat if i just ordered a biggers spring for my wg and eliminated the controller all together? But even still the spring does not seem to release the psi its supposed to?

<aDdiCtEd 2 BoOsT>...EcOtEc...
Monday, June 04, 2007 6:59 PM
in my opinion the reason why your seeing more of your problems in higher gears is because your puting more of a load on the engine in those gears therefore allowing the turbo to build even more boost. get rid of your manual boost controller, they are junk. and yes if you are wanting to run more than 15 pounds or so then order a higher spring rate for your wastegate. anyone with knowledge about wastegates will tell you that you want the spring rate to be as close as possible to your boost pressure, your just asking for more inconvenience when trying to run a higher pressure than the spring rate especialy when your using a manual boost conrtoller. if you spend the money and go electronic i think you will pat yourself on the back, they are much better alternative. i have had no problems at all with boost creep or anything with mine. i am running a perrin "yeah its a little noisy but tolerable". go electronic and i gaurantee your problem is solved.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search