Start - Finish How long does it take? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Start - Finish How long does it take?
Saturday, June 02, 2007 9:51 AM
Im looking into installing my turbo kit w/ intercooler. on my 2.3L Cavy. Question is... how long will it take from stock condition to fully boosted and running. Days? Weeks? Months?. im not looking to tune it, just install time. Note: install will be done by experienced people with proper tools. oh yea, i gotta have a shop make an exhaust section from the turbo to the catback. ie: downpipe, wastegate dump, resonator. just a rough guess on how much that will cost?

Re: Start - Finish How long does it take?
Saturday, June 02, 2007 10:05 AM
installing the turbo itself is a super easy job.

day 1 --- takes on average 2.5-5hrs (I have done 4), downpipe takes 1-2 hrs

1) remove stock downpipe/manifold (13 bolts IIRC)
2)install turbo manifold (11 bolts IIRC)
3)install turbo (4 bolts)
4) oil feed/return (feed from head, return to oil pan-->have this modified a few days ahead of time so your car has no down time)
4a.)if you require water cooling, attach now or anytime at your leasure, not connecting the lines will not cause damage to anything
5)build downpipe/have built
6)your car is driveable again until you are ready for the rest of the install.
*ensure wastegate is open and no WOT pulls to "hear" the turbo, becuase it will absolutely sound amazing

day 2 --- fabbing takes 2-3 hrs, completey welding the piping takes about 1-2 hours with good welder and some experience

1) remove front bumper
2) custom fab some intercooler brackets
3)mount intercooler in approx location
*note that the turbo outlet is likely facing down and will not be moved again, and the intercooler will also not be moved again)
4)now custom fab intercooler pipes from the turbo to the hot side of the intercooler
5)fab the cold side to the TB (I removed windshield washer container and used water meth tank for fluid)
6) fab an intake filter tube/screen setup
7)install fuel management (pumps, map, injectors, FMU, FPR, AFPR, HPTuner, etc) and have tuned BEFORE BOOSTING
8)install water/meth safe gaurd and consider installing a "flow light" and "Low level light"

usually takes 2 days, and no car down time for evenings.. but make sure you have all the fittings, lines, hoses, beer, pizza, help, etc, you need before starting so you don't have to stop to get anything at anytime.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Saturday, June 02, 2007 10:45 AM
I'm gonna say making a custom kit up from scratch is not a weeekend thing... it took me forever, granted I've never done it before, but there are so many small things that set you back.

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Monday, June 04, 2007 12:42 AM
Dave Dunsmoor wrote:I'm gonna say making a custom kit up from scratch is not a weeekend thing... it took me forever, granted I've never done it before, but there are so many small things that set you back.

Considering he asked about installing and not fabbing it should be a weekend project at most. Really prob more like 8 hours if you take your time.

Monday, June 04, 2007 3:18 PM
Yeah,its not bad if you have poeple that know what they are doing. Little things can't hold you up though... like not having a certain gasket, or bolt...etc, etc

Good luck on the install!!!

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search