Cast 2.4L Turbo Manifold - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cast 2.4L Turbo Manifold
Saturday, June 02, 2007 7:49 AM
Just found this and thought i'd share. I know people have wanted these for years.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY-CAVALIER-Z24-TOP-MOUNT-TURBO-MANIFOLD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ009QQitemZ190118384032QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Thoughts?

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Re: Cast 2.4L Turbo Manifold
Saturday, June 02, 2007 9:25 AM
I found that yesturday.....I was just going to post something about it today....you beat me to it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, June 02, 2007 9:25 AM
Saturday, June 02, 2007 9:33 AM
It looks nice, but will it work? will the turbo fit on top and have no clearance issues with the hood or anything else?
if anyone else has experiance with these "top mount" manifolds, please give some input. Im interested in buying it if it works
Saturday, June 02, 2007 9:51 AM
I can't see why that position wouldn't work.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Saturday, June 02, 2007 10:50 AM
Dammit, thats how I wanted mine to sit on top of my mani.. Grrr.. But mine angles down Oh well, that one does look nice.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Saturday, June 02, 2007 2:08 PM
Damn, Auction is over. I was gonna buy it. Hopefully they put more back up for auction.
Saturday, June 02, 2007 2:29 PM
You can always contact the seller and ask if they have more.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Saturday, June 02, 2007 4:48 PM
it mentions external wastegate flange.. i don't see it.

-Trailblazer SS - not so custom 6.0L - custom intake - custom tune
- (1) 2.4L on an engine stand (1) blown trans (2) good quad trans (1) eco trans = party

Saturday, June 02, 2007 7:00 PM
Well, i contacted the seller and asked if he has more. So hope to hear back from him soon. I also asked him to post a few more pictures of the wastegate.
Saturday, June 02, 2007 9:59 PM
looks pretty nice. is there an advantage ot having a cast one over a welded up custom piped etc job?

Saturday, June 02, 2007 11:39 PM
cast should be just about problem free. the turbo flange is in the right spot but i think its clocked way to much my t3t4 would never fit plus it would be a real pain hooking up a intake to the turbo. on a j body i think the turbo flange should be as far over to the driver side as possible and it should be close to the same angle as the exhaust flange this way u can run the intake under the brake master cylinder and theres lots of room for exhaust . but it might work alright with a smaller turbo.

Sunday, June 03, 2007 6:41 AM
Does anyone have a top mount manifold on their 2.3/2.4 or know where to find some pics of the setup they used? And does anyone know fore sure whether or not a t3/t4 will fit?
Sunday, June 03, 2007 7:23 AM
z yaaaa wrote:looks pretty nice. is there an advantage ot having a cast one over a welded up custom piped etc job?

A cast manifold should last about 5X longer than any of the welded up manifolds that everyone uses.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Sunday, June 03, 2007 9:21 AM
That's a hell of a price for a cast manifold, they are usually atleast twice or three times that cost.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Sunday, June 03, 2007 9:29 AM
Skilz10179 wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:looks pretty nice. is there an advantage ot having a cast one over a welded up custom piped etc job?

A cast manifold should last about 5X longer than any of the welded up manifolds that everyone uses.

i see... sounds good.

would having the turbo mounted up top like that make the cruise control module in the way?

Sunday, June 03, 2007 10:46 AM
thew cruise would have to be moved for sure. even if it did clear it would be melted in no time.
Sunday, June 03, 2007 1:26 PM
Damn thats an awesome price and with a 5 year warranty I don't think you could go wrong.

~Boost. Its what's for dinner!~

Sunday, June 03, 2007 5:30 PM
Lee >< i4 Racing > wrote:Damn, Auction is over. I was gonna buy it. Hopefully they put more back up for auction.

he has another one up for auction now. i'd buy one if he had them for the eco...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY-CAVALIER-Z24-TOP-MOUNT-TURBO-MANIFOLD_W0QQitemZ190119289333QQihZ009QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://jbok.org
Wednesday, June 06, 2007 11:07 AM
looks pretty pimp.

SpyhunteR wrote:it mentions external wastegate flange.. i don't see it.

I might have to pick one up, and add it to my collection

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 1:09 PM
Looks pretty sweet.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 5:36 PM

I recommend you purchase one if you are prepared to do some minor prep work for installing it.

I just received one. It is a really nice piece for the money. The only issue with the mainifold is where the casting half's meet, there is alot of flashing ( a narrow band approx 1/16" thick and about an 1/8" high) I used a pencil die grinder to remove this as well as all casting blem's, this is not something your turbo should receive while spinning 100 000 rpm's. I'm also going to use a flexible wire brush to remove the casting sand from the inside of the manifold.

I have a T3/T04E 50 trim .48 a/r with a .70 a/r compressor housing. As far as a T3/T04E fitting in the engine compartment with a top mount manifold, here are some observations, (bear in mind I haven't installed this set-up in the car yet.)
The coolant return line has to be re-routed, (I will be running this through the water cooling jacket on the turbo anyways) The compressor housing MAY touch the cam carrier when it is bolted on, ( I will either add a 1/4" spacer to the manifold at the head or add a 1/2" plate in between the turbo and the T3 mount. I think you MAY have to remove your cruise control unit, (I say may as mine has been removed for some time).

There's no doubt in my mind this will work, if you are mechanically inclined and you want this manifold, definately give it a try. I will post an update when I get this set-up fully installed, likely by the end of next week.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 7:17 PM
one thing I've learned over the last 8 years..... anything involving a J-body requires "some minor prep work "

I look forward to seeing some pics of one of these installed.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 8:40 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:one thing I've learned over the last 8 years..... anything involving a J-body requires "some minor prep work "

I look forward to seeing some pics of one of these installed.[/quotH

Hahaha, Brian, sooooo very true.
Friday, June 08, 2007 11:19 AM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search