TIMING WTF!!! - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
TIMING WTF!!!
Monday, October 16, 2006 3:05 PM
Ok i'm not sur of everything here!! a friend of mine have bought hptuner(still havent receive yet) and he's telling me that advance timing is really nice, but i'm turbocharge everyone is turning timing back, but please explain me the reason for timing retard?? why people do that instead of advance it????

http://cavalierdomination.monchar.com

Re: TIMING WTF!!!
Monday, October 16, 2006 3:09 PM
i mean why people need to retard timing??? I'm all confused here!!!

http://cavalierdomination.monchar.com
Monday, October 16, 2006 3:16 PM
you retard timming to help with detonation.to fire on the down stroke..

horsepower is how hard you hit the wall, Torque is how far you push the wall with you
Monday, October 16, 2006 3:23 PM
you want to run the most advance you can get away with on cheap gas and keep detonation down to almost nothing

in most cases , going from n/a to boost you will have to take some timing out to accomplish that

those of us running the 2.4 s/c or using the s/c program for a turbo , usually need to add some cause GM pulled to much out

other cases would be for track use and using 101 octane or higher fuel , and setting up a timing and fuel tables to run it get the most power

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 9:41 AM
pulling timing helps detonation and pre-ignition advancing timeing is sparking the plugs ealier...

as explained above when you have detonation then you pull timing out to control it and can be controlled by fuel with higher octane...

so example would be if you are getting knock at 38 degrees on 91/92 octane then pull it back to 32 degrees and see if that same knock is there if it is not then add up to 33 degrees son on and so forth.

Avarage when pulling timing is about 5-10 degrees stock ecms will pull 10 degrees as needed!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search