collapsed spark plug - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
collapsed spark plug
Monday, October 16, 2006 8:45 AM
I also posted this in maintenance, wasnt sure where to put it.

The other night, i got on it, hit boost. the car began to sputter. pulled the plugs. #4 was collapsed to were both the side and center electrodes were touching. no gap. we then gapped the plug and car ran fine for maybe 1/2 mile, then began to sputter again, plug remained gapped. what could have caused this plug to fail?

replacing the plug(s) is obvious... will this new plug suffer the same fate?

In all reality, the only way for the electrode to collapse is for the piston to come up too far. why would this be?

ive been reading around, and it sounds to be the ringland? all the other cases i read about were with 03 ecos, ive got an LD9.

any suggestions?

Portage, MI

Re: collapsed spark plug
Monday, October 16, 2006 9:16 AM
kinda sounds like it time for a motor , usually when that happens something hit the spark plug

which ends up being part of the piston bouncing around

Monday, October 16, 2006 9:31 AM
why would the piston be jumping around?

and how is it so, that the piston can come up higher than normal?

Portage, MI
Monday, October 16, 2006 10:14 AM
he said part of the piston, not the whole piston, or hopefully not.... but....if a peice of the piston broke and is bouncing in the space between the piston and the head/vavles/sparkplugs that is bad....

time to build the motor

good luck, hopefully its just a weird spark plug...

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Monday, October 16, 2006 11:16 AM
Your motor is broken if you couldn't get that from Eric's post.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, October 16, 2006 11:43 AM
sometimes when pistons get to their melting point they will stretch and hit

but 9 outta 10 , its a piece that broke off and is bounging around

worste part is half the time that piece goes back out the intake and through the intake into another cylinder

pretty much there is 3 parts that can hit the spark plug in the combustion chamber , piston , intake valves , exhaust valves , more often its the piston or part of that hits the plug , some times its a bearing that goes out or rod stretch , but those usually bend valves before they hit a plug in our case , since the plug is higher up in the chamber

which leave a part of the piston breaking off , from detonation and bouncing around and hitting the plug

happens from the ring being close to the top of the piston and being cast pistons

Monday, October 16, 2006 11:44 AM
That sucks man, build it up.

What boost psi are you seeing?

Monday, October 16, 2006 12:30 PM
yes ring land probably came apart or if you pull the plug see if you can get some light down there you can probably see the piston top all beat up....

is this a 02+ ecotec motor? what plugs where you using and what air/fuel on what boost level?
Monday, October 16, 2006 12:51 PM
Thanks guys, I've been pretty down the past few days about it.

Im not sure what i'll be doing.

currently im seeing only about 5lbs of boost.

Guess i have alot of reading i need to get done, to better understand the internals, and how they work.

Portage, MI
Monday, October 16, 2006 12:59 PM
you can get a stock 2.2L for about 850.00 or 950.00 drop shipped used...not that big of a deal if you want a motor fast! cheaper if you pull the motor!

Go hone the block and get forged pistons and rods and get pistons with a lower ring land made for boost diamon pistons have a stock compression motor but with lower ring lands great for boost!
Monday, October 16, 2006 1:25 PM
also a buddy of mine said this---> "the NGK plugs i just pulled are shorter, may be a solution for him in the meantime"

Monday, October 16, 2006 1:27 PM
Speed Mafia wrote:you can get a stock 2.2L for about 850.00 or 950.00 ....

im rocking the LD9, not sure if you read that above or not.

Portage, MI
Monday, October 16, 2006 1:31 PM
Speed Mafia wrote:also a buddy of mine said this---> "the NGK plugs i just pulled are shorter, may be a solution for him in the meantime"

If he's refering to the using the NGK 4177 in an Ecotec then I hope he NEVER gives advice to anyone ever. We've already proven those plugs to be too short for the head, and shorter is not better. Plugs are sized for a reason.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, October 16, 2006 1:33 PM
Speed Mafia wrote:you can get a stock 2.2L for about 850.00 or 950.00 drop shipped used...not that big of a deal if you want a motor fast! cheaper if you pull the motor!

He has a 2.4.

Sorry to hear that, hopefully it's something minor.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Monday, October 16, 2006 1:38 PM
I did replace all 4 plugs. The car seems to run ok, however it still isnt right.

The plugs are gapped to 40 degrees.

I drove it around the block, let it warm up, got on it, hit boost, it dosent seem like im loosing power like before.

I havent pulled the plugs again yet, to see if there is any damage, ill do that tomorrow, and also get a light and see if i can see the pistons/damage to them.

When the car is on, i hear a slight tick. Im assuming its that "piece floating around" which still isnt good.

Portage, MI
Monday, October 16, 2006 1:56 PM
best thing to do is a leak down test or compression test....
Monday, October 16, 2006 2:09 PM
I'll do that tommorrow, and let you know whats going on.

Portage, MI
Monday, October 16, 2006 2:20 PM
youll prob have to have that piston at bottom dead center to see the top of it around the edges , 1 of those super bright led flash lights would prob help

a bore scope is nice but alotta dam $$$$

do a compression and leak down , if it hast smashed a plug yet it might have gone out the cyliner , or its on top of a valve bouncing around , or wedged some where

my freinds eco still seamed to run ok but made odd noises , and would run funny every once and a while

my personal thoughts the injectors that come with the s.c are a bit to small , mine ran low 13's for afr , and i was scared of it , but had a back up motor just incase it went pop , i switched to 36lb injectors and droped the main fuel pressure to 30 psi , and went from low 13's to mid 11's and picked up over 1/2 sec in the 1/4 , which means the motor wanted the fuel , and prob helped kill the spark knock that was pulling more timing out

Monday, October 16, 2006 2:33 PM
[quote=97trd(???™)]........my personal thoughts the injectors that come with the s.c are a bit to small , mine ran low 13's for afr , and i was scared of it , but had a back up motor just incase it went pop , i switched to 36lb injectors and droped the main fuel pressure to 30 psi , and went from low 13's to mid 11's and picked up over 1/2 sec in the 1/4 , which means the motor wanted the fuel , and prob helped kill the spark knock that was pulling more timing out

thinking my motor wants more fuel makes me laugh. you should see the BLACK ASS PUFF of smoke that comes out when i get on it...but its entirely possible.

guess i should start calling yards to look for a new motor.

Portage, MI
Monday, October 16, 2006 2:46 PM
do you have a wide band o2 ? if so whats your afr ?

also might just have a tip in rich problem , since you have a 99 , which is the transistion from vacuum to boost

if that is the case some hp tuners tuning would fix that

Monday, October 16, 2006 5:42 PM
HP tuners will fix broken pistons, and rebuild your engine for you. Just ask the guy above me!

Monday, October 16, 2006 6:15 PM
that wasnt how that was meant , i was refering to adjusting the pcm to prevent it from happning again

Monday, October 16, 2006 7:53 PM
lol

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 6:51 PM
call Todd from JBOM.

dont ask this website for help.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Thursday, October 19, 2006 5:04 PM
Like i put in you other post your piston prolly looks like this
http://forums.thevboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=84520

detonation is a bitch atleast in my car it is and most of the time your motor is not toasted unless you keep running it for awhile but if it happens and you shut it off it prooly wont do much damage i know in my car it didnt.

2003 SE-R SPEC V
Custom turbo kit with a t66 turbo @ 15psi, Apexi safc2, custom side exit exhuast, JWT cams, JWT bsr, inovate wideband system, CP 8:5/1 pistons, carrillo rods, comp clutch stage 4, hks catch can, 10k hids. And more to come
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search