Dyno.. - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dyno..
Saturday, October 07, 2006 7:47 AM
Well My 02 Ecotec has a hahn stage 2 kit on it. And everyone in my area always tells me to go get it dyno'd. I have always been hesitant because i have heard some horror stories about them. Also, i havent had a chance to pick up HP tuners and fix my fuel ratio either. But my question is, is our cars safe to run on dyno? anything i should know about? what to expect for power? i have 3" exhaust with magnaflow muffler, and hahn stage 2 with no engine buildups running 8-9psi. my car has 66,000kms on it. anyway any more info would be great whether i should do it or not... really dont want to blow my motor. thansk

Re: Dyno..
Saturday, October 07, 2006 8:21 AM
Do you have any type of fuel mods?

Saturday, October 07, 2006 8:29 AM
how bad is the fuel ratio?
Saturday, October 07, 2006 9:41 AM
Import Killer wrote:Well My 02 Ecotec has a hahn stage 2 kit on it. And everyone in my area always tells me to go get it dyno'd. I have always been hesitant because i have heard some horror stories about them. Also, i havent had a chance to pick up HP tuners and fix my fuel ratio either. But my question is, is our cars safe to run on dyno? anything i should know about? what to expect for power? i have 3" exhaust with magnaflow muffler, and hahn stage 2 with no engine buildups running 8-9psi. my car has 66,000kms on it. anyway any more info would be great whether i should do it or not... really dont want to blow my motor. thansk

uh man dynoing a car is not different than going at WOT with your car... unless it's really lean or something you have no reason to be afraid of putting it on a dyno...

14.425 @ 97.833 mph stock + GMPP s/c on drag radials.
Saturday, October 07, 2006 1:02 PM
ok, well i dont have a wideband yet. but the fuel is rich enough to set the engine light on, i work at gm and have access to there computer diagnostic thing. i think i saw soemthing in it that said fuel was like 14:6.1 but i dont know if thats the max readout on there machine or not. For fuel mods, i just have what came with hahn stage 2 kit, better fuel pump, bigger injectors etc.. thanks
Saturday, October 07, 2006 1:56 PM
14.6:1 is LEAN, were you just reading it at idle?

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, October 07, 2006 6:06 PM
yea lol, its just hte diagnostic thing. so it didnt really tell me much for the fuel ratio, but it did read the engine light code for "fuel trim too rich"
Sunday, October 08, 2006 12:14 AM
please put the turbo kit down, and step away form the car.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Sunday, October 08, 2006 8:08 AM
what a surprise! another j-body guy that knows everything!!
Sunday, October 08, 2006 8:18 AM
Import Killer wrote:ok, well i dont have a wideband yet. but the fuel is rich enough to set the engine light on, i work at gm and have access to there computer diagnostic thing. i think i saw soemthing in it that said fuel was like 14:6.1 but i dont know if thats the max readout on there machine or not. For fuel mods, i just have what came with hahn stage 2 kit, better fuel pump, bigger injectors etc.. thanks

This actually scares me. You are guessing the fuel ratio is correct by the check engine light.
Have the car tuned on the dyno. It will save you from possibly needing a new engine.

Sunday, October 08, 2006 9:55 AM
well is the innovate LC-1 a good kit to get? does it come with a gauge? what do u guys recommend that is a fair price.

Sunday, October 08, 2006 10:55 AM
Quote:

Quote:

is our cars safe to run on dyno?

Quote:

I have always been hesitant because i have heard some horror stories about them.

Quote:

well is the innovate LC-1 a good kit to get? does it come with a gauge? what do u guys recommend that is a fair price.

Quote:

define everything. I can barely skim the surface when it comes to tuning VE, timing, peak cylinder pressure, and AFR's... but with questions like that it seems you have not used the search button. in me saying, "step away from the car" that is a money saving technique, by the LM-1 or AEM UEGO (both come with @!#$ty bosch sensors, but I use it too) they are really good for a rule of thumb, they hate heat (must be 24" at least from turbo) and when they error they error as much as 1.0 point on the rich side of things. For the sake of saving another "ecotec at a dick" thread please do a little reading and see what went wrong with 90% of the setups on this site (improper tuning) and do yours right, dyno that thing and put up some HAWT numbers and a little video. :cheers

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Sunday, October 08, 2006 5:37 PM
Importfighter ... this guys knows what he is talking about ... but honestly any car is safe to drive on a dyno if you can drive in on the street. if there are horror stories about cars blowing on a dyno well then thats because the each a.) ran WAY to much nitrous causing puddling b.) dont haev the right fuel mods for a T/C or S/C or c.) forgot to tighten all the bolts down tightenough or bolt them down at all.

Some people might laugh at the c) option but I have seen people forget to bolt on there head all the way.

i think if you are weary about the dyno, dont go right now. and HONESTLY you should work with your FMU you got with the kit. there is no reason to be running lean at idle. TUNE the car and not just slap the kit on and say its good. Get a wideband o2, and get hptuners. If you feel good enough to dyno it after your get the wideband and tune the fuel mods a little bit more to run nice, go for it! if you not dont. Simple enough.

I say dynoing is like a kid first riding a bike. If they dont feel like taking off the traning wheels they wont , if they feel like it, they will. go at your own pace and dont listen to your friends if you dont want to.

Hope this actually gets to you because im not trying to be a dick. im tring to help you realize its all up to you to deside and yes any car that can be driven on the raod can be dynoed. Just be prepaired if something wasn't right, and something goes wrong.

Sunday, October 08, 2006 9:49 PM
Thanks for the info. Do you have any ideas where i can get a wideband setup with gauge for a good price? also, where can i get HP tuners for price. any other options etc.? thanks
Sunday, October 08, 2006 10:50 PM
Anyplace that sells AEM products and hptuners.com

Sunday, October 08, 2006 10:58 PM
^^^ x 2 ebay sells AEM (NTK wideband if you wanna spend a little more)

Monday, October 09, 2006 11:31 AM
Import Killer wrote:Thanks for the info. Do you have any ideas where i can get a wideband setup with gauge for a good price? also, where can i get HP tuners for price. any other options etc.? thanks

I personally would go to Jason at Aplusperformance for the wide band sensor.He is a GREAT GUY!!!

for the HPtuners ... go to http://www.hptuners.com/order.php that is the page for the actual software. Get the VCM Suite (first one)
i would click on the professional package jut form what ive read. HOPEFULLY a guy that has ther pro will tell you wants all extra with that amount.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search