running lean - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
running lean
Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:33 PM
hey just turbo'd the sunfire and seems boost 6 psi. running very lean. would buying a fpr fix this temporary problem until i get enough money for the whole fuel system or not? just ordered the wideband today.

Re: running lean
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 2:38 AM
don't boost if you don't fuel upgrade. you'll be without an engine before you can even get the parts.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 9:55 AM
another question is the i have a greddy type rs and have it connected but it doesnt open air just shoots back out the compressor. the vacuum line is hooked up to the same line as the boost gauge. ive also tried making softer by unscrewing the valve on top. this is the second bov for me and the type s that i had did the same thing.
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 11:38 AM
your boost gauge sees vacuum and boost? when the car is idling disconnect the line running to the bov and make sure its sucking air... bov opens up when it goes from boost to vacuum...

get fuel mods, injectors, fpr, hptuners or something else to make your engine get more fuel under boost and control timing under boost

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 4:04 PM
Naw if he was dumb enough to boost without fuel upgrades, I say let him blow it up!!!

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 4:37 PM
no need to be an ass.

yes it sees vacuum and boost. ill try that.
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 7:19 PM
well i ordered the fpr and safc 2. this sunday i will order the walbro 255 fuel pump. is this a good start?
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 8:12 PM
Jeff F wrote:well i ordered the fpr and safc 2. this sunday i will order the walbro 255 fuel pump. is this a good start?
the SAFC2 is not gonna help you much..... You had expressed some interest in another thread about having me possibly tune your car... Are you in the STL area??? For the amount you are spending on the SAFC2, I could probably tune your car correclty..... BTW, what size injectors are you using??? Do you have a Wide Band o2??

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 8:39 PM
wideband should be here on friday. stock injectors at the moment but looking in the market for some new ones. 550cc? im in tulsa oklahoma but to get it tuned correctly, i am willing to travel.
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 11:09 PM
Where are you pulling your injector #'s from?

Go on RCENG.com. go to the injector worksheet. Work out your max power at the crank and get an injector there. Add 20% for safety and that's the injector size you need.

550cc is good to 400 whp.

HPTUNERS all the way IMO in your case. With an adjustable FPR.

Good luck.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Thursday, September 28, 2006 11:33 AM
am i able to order straigt from them?

Thursday, September 28, 2006 12:07 PM
I dont think you will need that big of an injector....... 42# should be plenty big.....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Thursday, September 28, 2006 12:52 PM
hey man,

listen no one is trying to be a dick its just that alot of people that boost their j's never do what needs to be done with the fuel system........i learned the hard way, yeah boost is awesome but not worth having for a few thousand miles and then having your engine blow up (especially with 6 psi)... depending on the year of your j, i would definately recomend going with hptuners.. i have seen the kit in action and it does an amazing job for what you pay. i personally am running an AEM standalone but its very time consuming and complicated to install unless you have worked with them before. i would definately say you need to sell that safc II you bought since i think they are a waste of money when that could be a nice downpayment on hptuners. remeber that those are just another piggy back setup that is very restrictive with tuning options and do not do that great of a job for tuning. your wideband investment is a good idea though, you definately want to know what you a/f ratios are if you are turboed. like i said, get a larger pump, larger injectors (yes, RC Engineering does offer a great worksheet for sizing and definatley make some nice injectors.) i am running RC 750cc injectors in my 2.4 but i am also running 20 psi... an adjustable fuel regulator is nice in any upgraded fuel system so i would recomend that if you are able to afford it. but mainly i would suggest this: hp tuners, upgraded injectors, adj. fuel regulator, larger fuel pump. good luck bud
Thursday, September 28, 2006 1:57 PM
buy hptuners from hptuners.com... directly from them, get the ehanced version, its better

|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:41 PM
well that about makes it good. i will order the injectors and buy the pump this weekend. the website insisted on 550s which brings up my next question. peak and hold or saturated. some of the srt guys say i should get saturated but im unsure so ill ask here were people know what they are talking about. just let my know so i can make a purchase. i can call rc direct to place an order right?
Friday, September 29, 2006 6:45 AM
I would like to see your number /worsheet to see how your are coming up with 550's..... I seriously doubt your engine will ever make that much HP.... Hell, I have 42.5# Lucas injectors in mine, a lower fuel PSI than stock, and have plenty of room to "fatten it up"...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Friday, September 29, 2006 6:52 AM
yea 6psi, im running 370cc injectors at stock fuel pressure 55psi and i only see 63% duty cycle, you could get away with 330s even at that low a level

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, September 29, 2006 11:48 AM
what is the difference between saturated and peak and hold (resistance) AND what is recommended with this car.
Friday, September 29, 2006 12:45 PM
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/42337/ just buy those and stop worrying about the technical stuff

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search