GM ecotec cam gears - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM ecotec cam gears
Monday, September 25, 2006 12:52 PM
Is there any usfull info anywhere on this item? I might be comming into a set in a trade but would like to know what I have to gain from it.

Re: GM ecotec cam gears
Monday, September 25, 2006 1:00 PM
*listening to this

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Monday, September 25, 2006 1:10 PM
well the only advantage is is you can advance or retard each cam in very small amounts indivually.

From what I've *****seen/heard***** the ecotecs have very little to gain to changing the cam timing, gains are minor if any. Now I don't know if thats is infact true, if it was true why would GM put the VVT on the 2.4 eco? The biggest problem is your gonna be spending a FAWKING TON of $ on dyno time. I'm sure you know but the eco does have a timing belt that you can pull a cover off to get to the gears, it has an actual timing chain which means you have to pull the valve cover every time to change it, and while sitting on the dyno thats alot of time when you have to pull a HOT valve cover on and off each time for 1 degree adjustment. My advise get a pair of crane cams meant for forced induction, on a boosted car the biggest advantage is being able to get rid of valve overlap but on a forced induction grind thats already taken care of. since your getting them on trade it may be worth it to mess around with them a bit (I wouldn't) but its definetly not worth buying now for the price they charge unless your going for an all out build.

**disclaimer** since the .org is filled with whiney bitches I want to make it clear that this is my EDJUCATED OPNION

Monday, September 25, 2006 1:22 PM
Darkstars wrote:well the only advantage is is you can advance or retard each cam in very small amounts indivually.

From what I've *****seen/heard***** the ecotecs have very little to gain to changing the cam timing, gains are minor if any. Now I don't know if thats is infact true, if it was true why would GM put the VVT on the 2.4 eco? The biggest problem is your gonna be spending a FAWKING TON of $ on dyno time. I'm sure you know but the eco does have a timing belt that you can pull a cover off to get to the gears, it has an actual timing chain which means you have to pull the valve cover every time to change it, and while sitting on the dyno thats alot of time when you have to pull a HOT valve cover on and off each time for 1 degree adjustment. My advise get a pair of crane cams meant for forced induction, on a boosted car the biggest advantage is being able to get rid of valve overlap but on a forced induction grind thats already taken care of. since your getting them on trade it may be worth it to mess around with them a bit (I wouldn't) but its definetly not worth buying now for the price they charge unless your going for an all out build.

**disclaimer** since the .org is filled with whiney bitches I want to make it clear that this is my EDJUCATED OPNION

Don't get crane cams get the Comp Supercharger Cams, my comp turbo cams are amazing...

now for proof on how @!#$ty these cams are..

CNFX spent an ENTIRE weekend working on 2 ecotecs that had the cam gears, 1 was NA with the Patriot stage 2 head, cams, cam egars, full exhaust, intake, throttle body and the best cam timing they got was stock......

Both cars that were dynod bested on the dyno with the stock cam timing... they woudlc hange timing but would either lose whp or gain and the oppositie would happen with the tq....

We are talkign full 10 hr days of working on these cam gears... I literally gave my cam gears a way....

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, September 25, 2006 2:27 PM
your right I htink it was comp cams thats offers all the different grinds but the point remains the same

Monday, September 25, 2006 8:03 PM
Comp makes them and I sell them all. Got a set of the blower cams right next to me for a customer and a set of the turbo ones en route for another customer.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, September 25, 2006 8:18 PM
Mmmmm the turbo cams are AMAZING

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, September 25, 2006 8:35 PM
ohh ohh the blower cams are mine!!!!

Check out my car....
http://members.cardomain.com/o4blackfire
Monday, September 25, 2006 9:01 PM
That they are sir :-) Still waiting for your head though.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 12:45 AM
How much are the turbo cams?

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 12:56 AM
Jray wrote:How much are the turbo cams?

http://ryne.com/storefront/product_info.php?cPath=22_60_130_131&products_id=342&osCsid=d62a08daa5f8b56ce9ff55b514ece561

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 1:01 AM
Thanks!!

BTW your car looks good. I love the importfighter front.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:22 AM
meh, sounds like blower cams are my best bet then. thank for all the help gang!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:23 AM
Proper link

I only have the blower ones listed because I am still waiting for the turbo ones to come in so I can copy their spec card. IIRC they are the same cost though.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 10:04 AM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:Proper link

I only have the blower ones listed because I am still waiting for the turbo ones to come in so I can copy their spec card. IIRC they are the same cost though.

actually I believe the turbo and super are the same prices and then the NA Stages are different prices per stage IIRC

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 10:37 AM
That's what I just said Philbert. LOL.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 1:48 PM
QBE you say the cams are worth getting?

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 2:44 PM
Jray wrote:QBE you say the cams are worth getting?

turbo cams? @!#$ yeah!

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 3:11 PM
These Comp Cams are DEFINATELY worth getting....especially from me I MAY run a GP for them in October depending on if the demand is there.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 6:22 PM
I will buy them then.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 8:05 PM
Shoot me an email Jared and I'll get you a good price.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 8:06 PM
I love being able to do cams in like 1 hr... so sweet....

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 8:17 PM
That is a nice thing about these cars. LOL.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 8:30 PM
do you know the rpm range of the turbo cams by chance?

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 8:53 PM
2800-7000 for both the blower and turbo cams.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search