A cry for help, leaking RSM supercharger drive pulley - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
A cry for help, leaking RSM supercharger drive pulley
Saturday, September 23, 2006 11:33 PM
Ok ive had a slight leak nothing major since ive had the kit, it was never a real problem just made a mess of my tranny with oil, not enough to even make puddles, so I decided to try and fix it once and for all with orings and this was a major failure and made the problem really bad to the point i am leaking puddles now, I can prob put it back to the way it was, but id like it to not leak at all

I know others have had this issue particularly with the ecotec kits, what was your fix, I will not go through RSM, they dont answer the phone, sure as hell aint sending them more money, what is the fix for this, I am desperate and im tired of this

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Re: A cry for help, leaking RSM supercharger drive pulley
Sunday, September 24, 2006 6:28 AM
Sell it.

There's your fix

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Sunday, September 24, 2006 6:54 AM
BlownBlackZ wrote:Sell it.

There's your fix

sad but true

there entire kit is garbage, just ebay the @!#$ and be done with it

Sunday, September 24, 2006 7:14 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:Ok ive had a slight leak nothing major since ive had the kit, it was never a real problem just made a mess of my tranny with oil, not enough to even make puddles, so I decided to try and fix it once and for all with orings and this was a major failure and made the problem really bad to the point i am leaking puddles now, I can prob put it back to the way it was, but id like it to not leak at all

I know others have had this issue particularly with the ecotec kits, what was your fix, I will not go through RSM, they dont answer the phone, sure as hell aint sending them more money, what is the fix for this, I am desperate and im tired of this

You can try contacting Zsolt via e-mail. I know Filip the Polish Kid got a new tensoner for his charger for free. This was almost a year after he bought the kit too. RSM itself no longer exists so you might have to send the e-mail to http://www.z-spec.com/catalog.htm. It's worth a try. I talked with RSM before I bought the kit and I had mentioned the leaky drive housing, they told me that when they found out about it, the problem was corrected immediately and no more leaky drive housings were sent out. My kit has not leaked a drop of anything and has run smooth with absolutely no problems at all. In all honesty if all else fails, sell the kit and get the GM charger. That's what I would do if my kit ever began to act up. Either way I wish you the best in getting this resolved.

Sunday, September 24, 2006 8:39 AM
Darkstars wrote:
BlownBlackZ wrote:Sell it.

There's your fix

sad but true

there entire kit is garbage, just ebay the @!#$ and be done with it

Not entirely. Matt has spent numerous hours and hundreds of dollars fixing rsm's short comings and the kit actually performs decently. I believe at his last dyno on 6 psi he put down over 180 whp which is not bad at all. I commend him for sticking with it this long.

Matt like I said, if you wanna come up one friday night we can start yanking stuff off and then crash and then during the day on saturday we can look for something that might work. Besides I need more boost anyway

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Sunday, September 24, 2006 9:29 AM
actually 185 to be exact but its more now, anyways to sell it now would be more of a pain in the ass than its worth

getting the gm charger would be totally retarded who wants to put 3000 dollars into a car with stock internals and 96,000 miles, id get a down payment on something else, not to mention its like 10hp more

if i had faith in RSM correcting the problem i wouldnt be making this post, they either wont respond or will want hundreds of dollars for a new one when it was thier fault to start with, thats one of the things that has spurned me about this kit from day one, like when I told them about the poor clearance for the radiator hose, charged me some rediculous price for a new one that fit worse I had to macgyver some zip ties to make that work. When I told them about my misfire at the 05 Bash they claimed it was a compression leak. The misfire was actually from a lean condition which RSM stated "14.7 is the ideal AFR under boost must be a problem with your fuel pump". Well I dont think I need to say anything else about that. I'm totally on my own on this all i have is trial and error and educated guessing

I just want to fix it and I really dont want to deal with RSM in any way shape or form and I dont think any of you can blame me for that, Ive taken the biggest ass raping from them of just about anyone, in spite of that this leaking drive housing is the one problem I havent been able to solve

Monday, September 25, 2006 4:09 AM
Contact Chris Orr. He had the leak and took care of it.

Monday, September 25, 2006 8:52 AM
did that im still waiting

Monday, September 25, 2006 10:16 AM
other would be to send it to vortec and get fixed if its the charger

Monday, September 25, 2006 11:57 AM
its not the charger its the pulley drive for the charger which sits in between the intake cam and power steering, and it just got immensely worse this morning, i dont know what im going to do now

i guess tonight ill try just taking off the drive housing and putting the power steering pump back on where it normally goes and hope it stops leaking, otherwise supercharger is getting ripped off the car totally and ill have to take it in the ass taking it to the dealer to get the power steering pump seal fixed and after that ill just run NA till I can get rid of everything

In a way I almost just wish i blew the motor it would be alot easier to fix

Monday, September 25, 2006 12:44 PM
I'm sorry Matt........

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, September 25, 2006 1:07 PM
ok i got ya now

is it from the pump to belt drive , or belt drive to head ?

Monday, September 25, 2006 1:23 PM
belt drive to the head.....

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, September 25, 2006 2:02 PM

Notice in this pic how the drive housing is where the power steering pump normally is

Its betwen the head and the drive housing that its leaking, all i can do tonight is take off the drive housing and put the power steering pump back in its normal location and pray that it stops the leaking, otherwise im going to get bent over taking it to the dealer to have it fixed unless theres some type of seal that goes on the power steering pump that im not aware of or a part number for it

Monday, September 25, 2006 2:05 PM
I dont recall there being a seal when mine was off, if that helps

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, September 25, 2006 2:36 PM
well thats good i guess hope putting the power steering back on its orginal location stops the leak, ill find out soon

Monday, September 25, 2006 2:38 PM
well i know the seal for the ps pump , is in the ps pump housing , and not on the head

im not sure if they reused a GM ps pump seal for that or not , i could prob tellis i saw the seal

also the 2.4 and eco use the same seal if i remember correctly

Monday, September 25, 2006 4:17 PM
** For the 2.4L motor **
There is a seal that goes between the power steering pump and the intake cam carrier.

If the ecotec motor has the same type of system where the intake cam drives the ps pump then it likely requires a seal as well which should now go between the RSM pulley system and the motor. GM parts department can tell you for sure by looking at the blowout diagram of that area.

M.
Monday, September 25, 2006 4:31 PM
i have a ecotec p/s pump on my 2.4l. it is the same pump, you just have to swap over the metal hard line underneath. was 30$ from the junkyard so i couldnt go wrong.

good luck though.
( i will hold back comments on rsm's stuff).

Monday, September 25, 2006 4:40 PM
same here /\/\/\/\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\\/\//

Monday, September 25, 2006 4:52 PM
Where exactly is it leaking from?Is it leaking behind the drive pulley housing where it meets the head or is it leaking in through the oil seal and coming out through the pulley housing and dripping on the belt?If its leaking where it meets the head,just get a tube of black rtv silicone and put it on the pulley housing and bolt it back up.If its leaking in through the pulley housing,you need a new oil seal.Theres a part number on it,just press it out and match it up with a new one if you cant read the part number.You can also use the rtv on the p.s pump instead of going to gm and buying a new gasket.

Peter
'06 Cobalt ss/sc W/G85 Package
Gm Stage II W/2.79" Pulley
K&N Drop In Filter
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust

Monday, September 25, 2006 7:29 PM
leaking behind the drive pulley housing where it meets the head i think i need to take off the whole thing and see what i got going wrong, i made it home from work smoking and burning oil

Monday, September 25, 2006 10:13 PM
There is some sort of seal or gasket, I re used mine when i did my secret cam swap.\

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Tuesday, September 26, 2006 8:55 AM
Power steering pump is back on in original location and no leaks, i got a part # to try on an oil seal so we shall see

Normally aspirated SUCKS im ready to slit my wrists already

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 8:59 AM
time for a real supercharger

you scratch my ride IMA EAT YO CHILDREN
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search