Help me clock my turbo please. I have pics... - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help me clock my turbo please. I have pics...
Friday, September 22, 2006 3:53 PM
ok, so I've read that you want to loosen the 6 bolts on the housing and just simply rotate it. I did that and I couldn't budge the thing. I smacked it somewhat with a mallet and no go. I didn't want to keep wailing on it cause well, its a turbocharger. Look in the pic that I have. I want to rotate it to point downwards.

There are the six bolts that have the wastegate bracket mounted to it, and then there are the 4 bolts that are basically the center section. I didn't try loosening these cause they look pretty important If you look directly left of the red oil drain flange you'll see one of the 4 bolts that I'm talking about.
Oh, and it's a t3 60/48 and I'm doing it to run the piping under the car.

Re: Help me clock my turbo please. I have pics...
Friday, September 22, 2006 3:58 PM

Friday, September 22, 2006 4:02 PM
Check your link i see a red X

Pull the compresor housing off then. If you cant spin it theres probably oxidation in there or someting keeping it from spinning. Is it a older turbo? That picture would help alot.

- 97 Z24 Racecar work in progress
- 04 WRX STi
ATR Crew Member
Friday, September 22, 2006 4:54 PM
You've got the right idea, it's just those 6 bolts...try hitting it with some WD40 or PB blaster maybe
Just be happy you're not trying to rotate the exhaust housing after 10 years...that's true work

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Saturday, September 23, 2006 9:48 AM
can you not see my picture now/ ? i posted a second time and it came up. rather large but it came up. Oh well, thanks for the help. I'll try again later after a nap (damn overtime hours)
Saturday, September 23, 2006 10:10 AM
ALL WRONG!!!! LOOSEN ALL 6 BOLTS ON THE COMPRESSOR AND THE TURBINE. 12 BOLTS IN TOTAL, that is the only way

that looks like a Garrett/AiReasearch t3/t4e, it'll work, freshly rebuilt too,

hope that helps.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Saturday, September 23, 2006 10:20 AM
I was going for a sarcastic post, I guess that didn't look to sarcastic, lol, but seriously you gotta loosen all 12 bolts and it will spin like a charm. But remember that you want the oil drain to aim directly down, and center section should be almost perfectly level. Center sections are designed to be half full of oil at most, and see next to no pressure. With a nice new turbo like that run the ATP restrictor, and unplug the IDI and crank for 10 seconds to ensure you have oil in the turbo, then (if you want to) hold the compressor wheel for the first startup and about 10 seconds of idle time to ensure the center section has oil. Some people say that is overkill, but someplaces recommend it. Your choice.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Saturday, September 23, 2006 11:36 AM
I thought he only wanted to clock the compressor housing, not the center section...

fortune cookie say:
Saturday, September 23, 2006 2:03 PM
My oil return and all is all correctly posistioned. I just want to turn the compressor housing (the one where the charge piping first comes out of/ to point down instead of up.) Just that section only. This turbo is the one that down2turbo sells, the slightly larger than normal super 60 60/48 T3.
Look at the pic. The outer larger 1/2in size bolts that are holding the wastegate bracket on were the ones that I loosened. The exhaust and the compressor housing are both stamped with garret on it, But I don't know about the actual center section. That back wheel on the compressor does say Airesearch on it though.

I have Six 1/2 bolts on the comp housing which two are holding down my WG bracket, 4 smalller 12mm bolts that are on my center section going into a different looking part of my compressor/ and then six more on the exhaust housing coming off the center section. I don't know what else information to give you.

DID MY PICTURE SHOW UP>>>??? NO ONE HAS SAID YES OR NO YET AND I WANT YOU TO SEE SO I DON'T FUK MY TURBO UP!!!!!!!.
Saturday, September 23, 2006 2:06 PM
I see your pic.....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, September 23, 2006 3:01 PM
your picture is there. You will have to remove the wastegate if you want to turn the compressor housing, then hopefully you can remount it when you have turned it. I bought a turbo from down2turbo and I had to clock it the same as you are saying. loosen those 6 bolts, (double check each one) then remove the wastegate C-clip from the relief, and the pull the 2 bolts all the way out to remove the actuator. once that is off it will turn easily.

but the actuator has to be disconnected from one side at least, removing is the easiest.

Saturday, September 23, 2006 3:30 PM
ugh, I finally got it.
I had to let the thing sit up and soak with some PB blaster for about a hour or so. Then I really had to beat the $hit outta it with a mallet to get the housing to fall off. Got It all back together and all is well.
Quote:

once that is off it will turn easily.
HA!! yea I wished. But Like I said, it finally gave. My new worry is that the bracket for the wastegate is going to be blocking my oil drain flange It's right on top of it. Mabye about 8mm. But I'll have to wait and see cause I havn't gotten one yet. All I have left to gather is that oil drain flange, a wideband, and some intercooler piping and I'll be set!
Thanks for the help. I was worried about taking apart a turbo for the first time, but it was just like taking apart my first engine (cept I didn't mess anything up this time )
Saturday, September 23, 2006 5:16 PM
i win

If you need to move the oil drain, just clock the center section a little. Your actuator rod also looks like it is adjustable, so you can reposition te wastegate a little if needed.

fortune cookie say:
Saturday, September 23, 2006 10:16 PM
Thats not the same WG that I have on now. I bought a 6lbs actuator from atpturbo.com to start off with. It's not adjustable with the nut and thread like the one in the pic.

But I'll just probably have to grind the bracket down some but that is no problem being that I work in a steel yard and have access to just about anything I need.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search