(TURBO) Test Pipe or Cat.= Best Gains! - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
(TURBO) Test Pipe or Cat.= Best Gains!
Thursday, September 21, 2006 11:01 PM
Well guys I ordered a 2.5 inch cat back exhaust yesterday to finish up from the down pipe back all in 2.5 inch. My question is should I run a catalytic coverter or a test pipe? I am on 9psi right now and as for emissions laws our state is supposed to be dropping them come January. If you could let me know your input because I am still having mixed feelings even after reading the other posts. Thanks in advance!

~Boost. Its what's for dinner!~

Re: (TURBO) Test Pipe or Cat.= Best Gains!
Thursday, September 21, 2006 11:28 PM
Just run the cat... no matter what any one says the amount you will gain by removing the cat is small relitivly speaking (as i dont think your racing in pro stock or any thing like that) plus your safe then with your laws...

I have ran 2 different exhaust systems on my car... one was a full 3" turbo back no cat second was a 2.5" with cat... i felt like i had lost power... but it was all in my mind because it sounded different.. i could still walk all over my buddys the same with the 2.5" and cat as i did with the 3" and cat....

in the end i went with the 2.5" one because it was also quieter... (20" resonator, high flow cat and 2.25" inlet on my magnaflow muffler) not only is it VERY!!!! quiet.. its more stealthy now..

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno
Friday, September 22, 2006 7:42 AM
I always say for a turbo car go without. My turbo car had a highflow one, and it cause issues with blowing wastegate gaskets, and turbo to manifold gaskets. Also my turbo car with 3inch exhaust is much quieter than my 01 all motor car with 2.5 inch exhaust. Turbo cars usually are. Test pipe is cheaper as well.

FU Tuning

Friday, September 22, 2006 7:55 AM
A test pipe always favors more power in a turbo car unless something isn't matched up well!

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Friday, September 22, 2006 8:26 AM
either will work well. I have tried both, with a turbocharger it doesn't sound stupid not to have one.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Friday, September 22, 2006 9:58 AM
John Higgins wrote:I always say for a turbo car go without. My turbo car had a highflow one, and it cause issues with blowing wastegate gaskets, and turbo to manifold gaskets. Also my turbo car with 3inch exhaust is much quieter than my 01 all motor car with 2.5 inch exhaust. Turbo cars usually are. Test pipe is cheaper as well.

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, September 22, 2006 10:12 AM
forget the cat

it'll clog, it will choke the turbo, and keep heat where it isn't supposed to be...

the best exhaust system for a turbo is no exhaust at all

Friday, September 22, 2006 11:53 AM
Tim what part of CO are you in. Not all of CO is losing the emission law

Friday, September 22, 2006 12:03 PM
Okay, I just had reinstall my cat(hi-flow,brand new 2.5") for my emissions here MO. I can tell you from having a straight open test pipe to going to a cat I lost power. Gauranteed! My car pulled way harder without it, and the loudness is minimal without the cat vs. with. Just keep the cat pipe flanged and reinstall for inspections. It's a PITA to crawl under the car and swap it in and out, but its worth it!

Failure is not failure if you learn from it
Friday, September 22, 2006 12:04 PM
thats why you all find friends who can lick n stick

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, September 22, 2006 12:59 PM
Okay. I live in Falcon area about 15 miles east of the Springs. I guess I will try a high flow cat and get it setup and then maybe around christmas order a test pipe to slide in there.

Saturday, September 23, 2006 9:42 PM
move to florida , no emissions

Saturday, September 23, 2006 11:20 PM
KY also no emissions!!!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 7:03 PM
I lived in both states I say come to fla, no winterizing your car..
Tuesday, September 26, 2006 10:04 PM
only cars that benefit in hp by keeping the cat are NA, if its turbo, no backpressure needed....test pipe it is

2007 GM Tuner Bash...HELL YEA
PA,MD,NJ,DE,NY and all states north caravan
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 2:15 AM
why not just get a cat and then gutt it like i did, im charged but same deal, its there for looks only.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 10:58 PM
BOOSTED wrote:why not just get a cat and then gutt it like i did, im charged but same deal, its there for looks only.

if you are going to gut the cat get a piece of tubing welded though the center...the turbulance a gutted cat causes is sometimes worse than having the cat itself

2007 GM Tuner Bash...HELL YEA
PA,MD,NJ,DE,NY and all states north caravan
Thursday, September 28, 2006 1:39 AM
John Higgins wrote:I always say for a turbo car go without. My turbo car had a highflow one, and it cause issues with blowing wastegate gaskets, and turbo to manifold gaskets. Also my turbo car with 3inch exhaust is much quieter than my 01 all motor car with 2.5 inch exhaust. Turbo cars usually are. Test pipe is cheaper as well.

listen to this guy, he knows what he is talking about

Thursday, September 28, 2006 11:18 AM
I found a catco one but it says "these are not recommended for OBD2 vehicles". http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8072385295&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT but I thought I remember a bunch of people on the org. here running them. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 5:20 PM
Would running just 2.5inch pipe with a O2 sensor installed throw a code or should I still get a cat? Doing this all this weekend so trying to get everything figured out. Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 5:32 PM
Get an 02 sim, because yes without a cat your sensor will throw a code.

Thursday, October 05, 2006 7:34 AM
dont put any cat on the car! I had few boost problem before i remove mine!! boost is comming faster and I feel my car going better without the cat

http://cavalierdomination.monchar.com
Thursday, October 05, 2006 8:56 AM
You do not want any restriction on your exhaust with a turbo car. I had a mag high flow cat on for a while and it clogged. The best exhaust for a turbo car is an exhaust that is a minimum of 2.5" with no restrictions such as cats, muffler baffles and silencers.

Quote:

forget the cat

it'll clog, it will choke the turbo, and keep heat where it isn't supposed to be...

the best exhaust system for a turbo is no exhaust at all

Dragracemyz24 is no more . Chupacabra devowered.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search