2.4 rebuild and s/c - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 rebuild and s/c
Thursday, September 14, 2006 4:45 PM
for next yr i wanna get the gmpartsdirect s/c for my z, but i wanna make sure that my engine can handle it. im close to 100k miles so im lookin at getting a rebuild. wut all does this include and how much should it run me? also, would it be enough to protect my engine for possibly another 100k or even more like 20k when i can afford another 2.4 swap

Re: 2.4 rebuild and s/c
Thursday, September 14, 2006 4:58 PM
I've got a 2.4l with around 90-100k miles on mine, boosted, and it's good to go. I understand about the rebuild though, that's totally up to you whether or not you'd want a rebuild before or after the boost, but i'm pretty sure your engine can handle the boost from the gm charger.....

NEW SIG COMING SOON FOR 07'!!!
Thursday, September 14, 2006 5:04 PM
when did u first add boost? the only problem i had was with injectors and that wus cus someone put those little silicon balls from shoes in my tank, but i got em all replace, and i havent had any problems since. Doesn't the kit come with injectors anyway? but basically ur sayin i can safely add the charger to my engine even if its 100k+ on miles?

Thursday, September 14, 2006 11:50 PM
A rebuild is a good idea but not a must. Ive seen plenty of J's over 100k, SC'd, none rebuilt, still taking other cars out with ease. I guess its more to your comfort zone. If you feel that you car can handle it and you havent had problems (no oil leaking, about to bust lines, cracks, blah, blah, etc.), save the money and blow it on a SC. The choice is yours... take a step into the dark.. or the light.

...They just HATE it when you ...POINT - LAUGH - then DRIVE OFF AND AWAY-!...
Friday, September 15, 2006 9:35 AM
that sounds good. im just real nervous about doin that. if i get it and somethin happens ill be pretty pissed. i basically wanna know wut all a rebuild entails too. I wanna rebuild it so that it has more power stock then drop the s/c in it. im confident that u guys r right, but i want some more n/a power before i put it in. so wut actually should the rebuiild entail to get me good power before its boosted?

Friday, September 15, 2006 11:25 AM
5 psi? Bro the GMSC kit is 5 measly psi... I get more than that when I hit the cruise control button.

I wouldn't be afraid of 5 psi hurting the motor, not with the way GM engineered it. I highly doubt you'll need a rebuild. Just give the engine a good once over, make sure everything is good, compression is good and it's running the way it should, and bolt that glorified intake manifold to the front of the motor and go have some fun.

Seriously 5 psi isn't a big deal.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, September 15, 2006 1:05 PM
5...thats it? i thought that u could gett more out of it with some modifications. i guess ill just do like u said and go over everything and get it next yr.

Saturday, September 16, 2006 7:19 AM
5 psi from the stock pullry. Drop pulley sizes for more boost.

'00 Grand Am 2.4L LD9
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/816505
Saturday, September 16, 2006 9:47 PM
also, i have a 2.25 ct back. am i gonna have to get 2.5 inch custom exhaust for it?

Sunday, September 17, 2006 1:53 AM
First of all... Mike is right. Dropping the stock pulley size makes the s/c wind faster, thus making more power. 5psi is just from the stock pulley.

And YES... you will have to go to a 2.5 exhaust for the best result out of a s/c or turbo (depending on how high of boost). 2.25 is best for N/A motors

Let us know your plans!
Good Luck

...They just HATE it when you ...POINT - LAUGH - then DRIVE OFF AND AWAY-!...
Sunday, September 17, 2006 5:22 PM
so basically im lookin at gettin the s/c next summer. ill do the basic rebuild stuff like checkin over it and new rings. then get the 2.5 inch exhaust and ill be satisfied with that for awhile. how long can i go without changin the exhaust to 2.5 from my 2.25?

Sunday, September 17, 2006 5:27 PM
as long as you want. I still have stock exhaust on mine with the stock 5 psi pulley. Soon to be changed though.

'00 Grand Am 2.4L LD9
Monday, September 18, 2006 4:22 PM
If you're gonna go through the hassle of taking your engine apart, make it worthwhile.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Monday, September 18, 2006 7:11 PM
BlownBlackZ wrote:If you're gonna go through the hassle of taking your engine apart, make it worthwhile.
wut are u referring 2? and also, with all ur mods plus the s/f u only estimate 200hp?

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 12:52 PM
There is no need to change your catback system to 2.5 just because of the supercharger. You would have to swap pulleys down 2 sizes before you will see a gain. Even then it would be very minimal. Superchargers do not need as big of an exhuast as turbos.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 7:24 PM
thnx for the info. im gonna get my money together so that i can get the s/c. i rode in ben's car (ecoclean), and his is turboed and i love the way boost feels in a cav.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 1:28 PM
The gm SC does not put out much psi, some of us with the 2.6 only see 5 psi, it sucks.

Think about what you are doing and read all the posts, it has its ups and downs.

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
Wednesday, September 20, 2006 9:49 PM
so i should go with an eaton or vortech s/c?

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 10:26 PM
eaton. hands down. I've had both.

I see 5-6 psi on the stock 2.8 pulley.

'00 Grand Am 2.4L LD9
Thursday, September 21, 2006 5:44 PM
so how much hp and tq have u put up then?

Thursday, September 21, 2006 6:04 PM
never put it on the dyno.

'00 Grand Am 2.4L LD9

Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:07 PM
so i should stick to the eaton. how much power would u estimate that it makes better than the gm s/c? on the site it said it makes 60-80 over stock. i that true?

Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:39 PM
I want to help answer your ? but I am not quite sure what your ? is. The GM SC for the 2.4 is an Eaton M45. It is supposed to add 40hp. Most people get a little more becuase they make their own CAI for it.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Thursday, September 21, 2006 11:58 PM
o, i think i was confusing it with the rsm one or the one from vortech

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search