Eco Charger Questions - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Eco Charger Questions
Monday, September 11, 2006 7:42 AM
Here are my dumb questions relating to the ecotec supercharger. I thought I would get these out of the way before I actually go ahead and install it. I ordered this( eco charger), the supercharger kit that comes with necessary parts to convert the 02 rail to the 03.

First question, is swapping the fuel setup as easy and straightforward as it looks? The kit comes with new hardlines and rail and fpr, so I basically just replace the original stuff and I’m done with that, right?

Second question, I’ve been looking through phlatcav’s pics of his intercooler setup trying to figure out the basics of how everything is run. Let me see if I have this right,

Reservoir—Heat Exchanger—Water Pump—Intake Manfold—back to Reservoir

Or is that completely wrong?

I already ordered a pump from zzperformance, the cobalt ss reservoir and cap, and a cobra heat exchanger.

Third question, I can drive my car to the dealer after I install the charger, right? I just shouldn’t plug in the connector for the map sensor right? That’s what I’ve gathered from my searches around here. I’ll just be running really rich on the way to the dealer won’t I? I have my wideband already hooked up and I’ll have my boost gauge set up as soon as the charger goes on. So basically, I should just baby the car on the way to the dealer and keep it out of boost and I shouldn’t have any problems

I’ve been going to this dealer forever and I have a good relationship with the service manager and the techs. What are the odds that they will void the supercharger warranty since I’ll be driving the car in? Is that even something that I should be concerned about?

What information/part numbers/documents do I need to have with me to get the reflash done? Paceperformance didn’t send me an actual hardcopy of the supercharger install instruction, they sent me a pdf file on a cd. The installation manual says that the Product Information Label(PN 12593900) must be presented to the dealer in order to get the reflash. According to the parts list I have, that number corresponds to the Carb E/O decal. Do I just show them that or what?

It shouldn’t take any more than a day for me to install this right? I’ve gone through the instructions and nothing looks complicated.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Eco Charger Questions
Monday, September 11, 2006 8:54 AM
I cant help you with the first question since I have a 2003 Cavalier but for Question #2:

Photo courtesy of Phlatcav....

And for Questions #3: You are correct, just dont connect the MAP Sensor. I do believe its actually called a TMap but thats irrelevant at the moment lol. Keeping it out of boost is the main thing. Them voiding the warranty because of you driving the car in shouldn't be an issue, but i'm not 100% sure.

For the reflash you will need the Part Number: 12593900 and then get the dealership to call GM's Techline to download the Reflash, incase they dont have the number, it is: 1-800-828-6860.

The calibration Part Numbers are:
Auto Tranny: 12590819
5 Speed: 12590820

The Reflash process should only take about 20-30 minutes but they'll probably charge you for a full hours worth of labor.

Install of the kit shouldn't take too long, but as for any mod i'd always allow extra time incase you come across something that may slow you down. Hopefully this helps you

Monday, September 11, 2006 9:03 AM
I don't know about the first question, first hand, so I wont say anything about that.

It looks like you have the heat exchanger figured out, so yes.

You'll be fine driving to the dealer. Before I drove mine, I let it idle for quite a while so the ecu could hopefully adjust. Plus, I enjoyed watching the black smoke pour out of my exhaust pipes. After I got the reflash, the tech plugged in my map sensor.

I don't really know about the warranty. But supposedly they check over your work to make sure it's right. So it shouldn't voided.

Look on the last pages of your instructions. Copy down the part number, and the number for the reflash. There are two: one for automatics, and one for manuals. Make sure you get the right number down. I wrote down those numbers on a sticky note and brought it with me to give to the service manager.

After I got the reflash, I let the car idle for a minute or and made sure smoke wasn't pouring out of the exhaust pipes. That's how I assured myself it was reflashed. Then I drove the hell out of it.

Also, it took the dealership 4 hours to reflash my ecu. They said they had to use an older version of their software...whatever. They only charged me for 1 hour of labor though. That might be something to be prepared for as well, though I haven't heard of it happening to anybody else on here.

I'm not sure how having a cold air charge on top of running rich would affect your car's drivability before the reflash. I think I would aftercool it after the reflash is done. But that's just guessing.

Good luck.

Monday, September 11, 2006 9:04 AM
Alex, you and I rock! lol

Monday, September 11, 2006 9:18 AM
Admiral Jedi wrote:Alex, you and I rock! lol

Why thank you , I need to stop spending time on here and get my heat exchanger and smaller pulley installed, it seems like i'm getting behind in the times, lol.

Monday, September 11, 2006 11:11 AM
you guys are awesome. thank you very much. where was that diagram posted and how the hell did i miss it?

i talked to the service guys about the reflash when i got my car inspected a few weeks ago, just to make sure that they had done it before and had some idea of whats going on. They one guy pulled out a small chart and looked something up on it and said it would cost about $103 for the reflash, is that about right? i have no idea. He said it would take less than 20 mins to do the reflash, and they have to charge for the hour or something. it doesn't matter to me, just as longs as its done and its done right.

Monday, September 11, 2006 11:13 AM
yeop thats about right

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, September 11, 2006 11:22 AM
The diagram was posted in one of the first threads made about the Eco Supercharger, don't even ask me what the title of it was cuz I dont remember but I doubt its been archived so i'm sure you could still find it or even email Phlatcav and ask him for it. But now that I posted it you wont have to .

Monday, September 11, 2006 11:34 AM
I get to answer question #1 You and I may be the only 02s on here with the charger so far!

Yep...straight forward! Darn that was too easy Getting the fuel line out of the coupler was a toughy but I used a paper clip bent in a circle and it worked like a charm

^^ You'll understand once you get to that point! I didn't have the right tool for that so I made one!

Sounds like you have everything else covered. The dealer here in Germany took all day with mine but I just dropped it off so not sure how long it took but they only charged me a hour labor.

The dealer also checked the work of the install and activated my warranty so I'd think your's would do the same? Just ask on that one I guess but the dealer here didn't care if I drove it in.

Took me and 2 guys helping about 8 hours total time over 2 days to do the install.

I'd also install the heat exchanger as you do the charger since getting to the manifold will be tons easier...take my word on that one!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, September 11, 2006 11:35 AM

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?
Monday, September 11, 2006 11:37 AM
Alex (silver03cav) wrote:I cant help you with the first question since I have a 2003 Cavalier but for Question #2:

And for Questions #3: You are correct, just dont connect the MAP Sensor. I do believe its actually called a TMap but thats irrelevant at the moment lol. Keeping it out of boost is the main thing. Them voiding the warranty because of you driving the car in shouldn't be an issue, but i'm not 100% sure.

For the reflash you will need the Part Number: 12593900 and then get the dealership to call GM's Techline to download the Reflash, incase they dont have the number, it is: 1-800-828-6860.

The Reflash process should only take about 20-30 minutes but they'll probably charge you for a full hours worth of labor.

Install of the kit shouldn't take too long, but as for any mod i'd always allow extra time incase you come across something that may slow you down. Hopefully this helps you

Quick question...What is the difference between the reflash part # and the calibration Part number? Do you need them both? one to calibrate and the other to reflash it? I have a friend that used to work for GM as a mechanic and he has a tech2. Can he call the number and download it or do you have to work at a gm dealership?

Sorry if this is off topic.

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Monday, September 11, 2006 2:16 PM
if you look on paceparts they have a kit to fit the 02 , it comes with the rail and fpr and lines

ive had the kit on my g/fs 02 since they came out , im using the 2.0 lsj injectors , they are the same size and look as the 02's , just a green top

with all the 2.0lsj guys going to GM stage 2 , or using other companies stage kits , they are getting rid of the stockers and are inexpensive to get

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 12:37 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]if you look on paceparts they have a kit to fit the 02 , it comes with the rail and fpr and lines

ive had the kit on my g/fs 02 since they came out , im using the 2.0 lsj injectors , they are the same size and look as the 02's , just a green top

with all the 2.0lsj guys going to GM stage 2 , or using other companies stage kits , they are getting rid of the stockers and are inexpensive to get

So in theory you could just order the 2002 kit from paceparts and slap it all in there and you'd be ready to rock and roll (aside from the reflash and some gauges)?

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 12:56 PM
ECOTEC wrote:
Alex (silver03cav) wrote:I cant help you with the first question since I have a 2003 Cavalier but for Question #2:

Quick question...What is the difference between the reflash part # and the calibration Part number? Do you need them both? one to calibrate and the other to reflash it? I have a friend that used to work for GM as a mechanic and he has a tech2. Can he call the number and download it or do you have to work at a gm dealership?

Sorry if this is off topic.

I read a while ago, that you have to have a computer on the same network that GM dealerships are on, since they get it via their internal intranet. So, i think the answer to your question is no, your friend can not do it.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 3:59 PM
TritoN wrote:[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]if you look on paceparts they have a kit to fit the 02 , it comes with the rail and fpr and lines

So in theory you could just order the 2002 kit from paceparts and slap it all in there and you'd be ready to rock and roll (aside from the reflash and some gauges)?

correct

Saturday, October 07, 2006 9:48 AM
bringing my post back from the dead here.

i'm having a problem swapping out the 02 fuel lines for the 03+ setup that came with my charger. i can't get the 02 lines to disconnect. the connectors have 4 little tabs on the inside that all need to be pressed at the same time in order to release the fuel lines. someone had suggested using a paper clip, but i tried that an failed miserably. is there a tool or something that i can buy that will make this easy to do? everything else has gone in fairly easily and this is the only spot i'm stuck on. so if anyone has any ideas or tips or whatever that will help me disconnect the lines, please chime in

here's a picture of what i'm referring to

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, October 07, 2006 9:55 AM

Saturday, October 07, 2006 10:06 AM
Yep...I'm the one who used a paper clip! It was a big old fat one too!

Maybe see if you have something laying around you can bend into a partial circle...that way it can go over the lines too and then compress all the tabs at once?

I had the same problem! Like I said though...used a hug paper clip and it worked for me! Hmmm...not sure really but sure there is a tool for thatl! Maybe call some auto parts store and see if they have anything?

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?
Saturday, October 07, 2006 10:31 AM
finally. i got them both off with the help of a piece of ziptie. i never want to deal with that crap again. thanks for the help bluedeuce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, October 07, 2006 11:21 AM

Saturday, October 07, 2006 11:49 AM
fuel line wrench or whatever its called alot of them are made from plastic and can be bought from a parts store for fairly cheap

Saturday, October 07, 2006 12:43 PM
Fuel line quick disconnect. It's meant to be super easy....... if you have the right tool. lol

Saturday, October 07, 2006 12:46 PM
BlueDeuce (dnt02cavls) wrote:I get to answer question #1 You and I may be the only 02s on here with the charger so far!

Sorry for raining on your parade, however the first one on the org with this charger... long before gm ever produced it was an 02

With the 02 rail you can just use the cobalt/ion injectors without having to swap the lines and rail. Which is what I did.

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Saturday, October 07, 2006 2:40 PM
Airtonics wrote:
BlueDeuce (dnt02cavls) wrote:I get to answer question #1 You and I may be the only 02s on here with the charger so far!

Sorry for raining on your parade, however the first one on the org with this charger... long before gm ever produced it was an 02

With the 02 rail you can just use the cobalt/ion injectors without having to swap the lines and rail. Which is what I did.

You didn't rain on my parade...I didn't call for one! I realize you had this charger loooooooooooooooooooooong before GM started putting the kit together! My statement was simply he and I were the first to run the GMPP kit for an 02...guess I should have stated that! Sorry!

...and I wonder why I don't post here very much! Sorry...but who gives a sh!t! I don't know...guess I'm being pissy tonight or something but that statement really pisses me off! WTF! Who cares!

God...this place is going to hell fast and idiots like you are ensuring it gets there double time!! Yeah I know who you are and could honestly care less! So you ran a charger on your 02 and blew it up...what else in new in the world! You realize a million other things have happened in the world since that day right? I mean...it doesn't evolve around you?!

Well...have a nice day and I'll be sure to include in everything I post that Airtonics was the first 02 to run the M62 ok...oh wait...the very first Ecotec to have the M62!! Dang...about blew that one huh?

Go play with some hot wheels or something...damn!! This place is getting to be....something?

Dang...guess it's a bad day but you really pissed me off with stupid statements like that!

Saturday, October 07, 2006 2:52 PM
the directions i got my charger seem very vague in the area of vacuum lines. would someone be willing to post up some up close pictures of their chargers showing where they have the lines connected to? should the top line coming out of the little black can be connected to the charger? thats what it looks like in my directions, but the picture is blurry. what do i connect to the bottom port on the black can after i attach the 90 degree elbow? my directions talk about a port on the tb adapter that is supposed to go to a vacuum accumulator port on my auto tranny, where is that vacuum line? i'd just like to double check my connections so i don't screw anything up

Saturday, October 07, 2006 3:14 PM
JBO makes me laugh, my post was meant in sarcasm, nothing more. I was unaware they even made the kit for the 2002 year. I assumed they would exclude it and people would just have to run coballt/ion injectors or do the fuel rail swap. The point of my post was the injectors are a direct swap on the 02 rail.

Nice job on getting all worked up, gave me something to laugh about today

Alias I'd post a picture of my vaccume lines but they are probably setup differently and woudn't help much. Phatcav has a ton of pictures of his engine bay that I would search for. Probably getting anxious to see the gauge go past 0 I'm sure...

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Saturday, October 07, 2006 6:10 PM
and phlatcav saves the day

Saturday, October 07, 2006 6:15 PM
I got ur back man

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search