96' Z24 Cavalier turbo? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
96' Z24 Cavalier turbo?
Sunday, September 10, 2006 6:09 PM
What turbo would you recommend for a 1996 Z24 2.4L?

Re: 96' Z24 Cavalier turbo?
Sunday, September 10, 2006 6:21 PM
None.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 6:23 PM
why have people had problems with em?
Sunday, September 10, 2006 6:24 PM
How many miles does your motor have?

It might be worthwhile to build a motor before boosting, or just make sure you tune the car well.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 6:30 PM
its got 100,000 but i was planning on tunning it up and rebuilding the motor
Sunday, September 10, 2006 7:08 PM
Custom turbo kit is what I recommend, only if you know a little about turbo's and how they work and what they need.

FU Tuning

Sunday, September 10, 2006 7:45 PM
have fun w/ tuning....and good luck, im serious not me being a smart ass good luck.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 10:24 PM
Tuning + 96= Joke.

Unless you swap backwards to burnable e prom chips on obd1, or swap to a newer PCM, preferably 99 up.

Monday, September 11, 2006 12:19 PM
Megasquirt, Speed Density FTW!
Monday, September 11, 2006 12:46 PM
Jay wrote:None.

From Jay's mod list:

Cartech Begi 2025 Adj. FMU
Innovative Wideband 02 Sensor
MSD 8.5mm Wires
MSD Coil Blocks
AC Delco Coils
Camaro IAT Sensor
Prothane Lower Engine Mount
Prothane Upper Engine Mount
CenterForce Dual Friction Clutch
GM Power Pulley
Custom 2.3 HO Intake Manifold
RSM Racing 59mm Throttle Body
Removed A/C
Garrett T04 Turbo
Steel Braided Oil Lines
Turbo XS RFL BOV
Turbo XS Boost Controller
Custom Turbo Manifold
HKS Wastegate
Custom 2.5in Downpipe
Holley Forced Induction Fuel Pump
ApexI Turbo Timer
Port And Polished Head
SS Valves
SS Valve Springs
Ford Green Top 440cc Injectors
Spearco Intercooler
EGR Simulator
Custom 2.5inch Exhaust
Turbonetics Silicon Connectors
Charge Pipes Painted Black
Heated O2 Sensor
O2 Simulator
MSD DIS2 Ignition
Polished Compressor Housing
T-Bolt Clamps ...

Monday, September 11, 2006 10:15 PM
jay, you read my mind.

but if you notice, jay sold all that stuff and has a way better car in the driveway.

(side note for jay- i dont know how you didnt fry a 02 simulator , the 96 wiring diagram has no resistor in the plug for the 2nd o2 like the 97. my only thought is your car was a LATE 96, sorta like a 97).

anyways, dont expect anything spectaculuar outta a 96 ecu.

best bet is to get a 00-02 z24 if you plan on running boost with good results, that way you can get the gm s/c flash and HP tuners and start fresh and work from there.

i ran the gm s/c on my 96 for a few years, had no issues with it, just a EGR code. ( egr simulator made my car run like crap). re wiring the to a 97 was over my head and no a option for me.

if your choice is to keep the 96 and turbo it. i think you can get away with a low boost set up. Run a better fuel pump(search walbro info), some bigger injectors, a FPR, and a cartech FMU. that sould be a OK set up for a mild boost deal and hope you can get it to idle good.
you cant adjust timing. But i think you would be fine on that fuel set up for up to 10 PSI. (depending on a size of the turbo).

Monday, September 11, 2006 10:24 PM
Sorry to thread jack here, but what turbo trim would you guys recommend for my car. I have fully built motor but due to the 086 head, I have a 10.5 CR, so I was only planning to boost anywhere between 8-12 psi...just to be able to tune the motor well and hit the 300 hp mark or come close (Of course I would wait for Brian to finish developing the LSD for the 4t40e first).

I was thinking about a polished turbonetics 60-1 for the sake of reliablity, since it is rated to about 550hp but if it is going to lag too much, I was thinking about the super 60. Any suggestions?

Brian
Monday, September 11, 2006 10:33 PM
HOLY @!#$, BRAIN dude we went to high school together...i didnt know you were on these boards or that you still had the cav....hows it going.

Monday, September 11, 2006 10:45 PM
Wow...Never expected to encounter any post-Minooka HS J-bods...ever. Yeah I do still have the cav. Unfortunately the bastard spun the infamous #3 rod bearing, and It has been sitting in my dad's garage since mid-December...as soon as we can fix a fitment issue with the exhaust manifold and the heater hose, It should be back on the road.
Monday, September 11, 2006 10:59 PM
You wouldn't be able to miss it either, it is probably the only stock looking z24 with white 18" 5-spokes within a 20-mile radius.
Tuesday, September 12, 2006 9:46 AM
I have a 96 turbo cavy. It has a inline fuel pump, and adjustable FMU, and adjustable FPR. It is not too hard to tune with that set-up. With a SAFC you could really fine tune it and rune decent boost. I think people forget that SpeedRacer was running 12-15psi on a stock motor, and he was basicly a FMU set-up (correct me Brian if I'm wrong). I also know of a Ecotec that ran 113mph on a stock motor with a FMU as well. Yes the best way would be to swap to a 97+ ECU (which I will be doing), and using HPT on it.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search