Turbo Exhaust??? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turbo Exhaust???
Sunday, September 10, 2006 4:05 PM
Hi, i have a hahn stage 2 on my 2002 ecotec with my factory exhaust pipes. I was wondering, would it be worth getting a bigger exhaust system? and if so, what are they replacing? are they going to replace the black downpipe that came with the hahn stage 2? or are they going to just connect it to the end of that just after the 02 sensor under the middle of the car. and lastly, what do u guys recommend for exhuast pipe size? 3", 2.5"? and which muffler magnaflow, flowmaster etc.... thanks

Re: Turbo Exhaust???
Sunday, September 10, 2006 4:47 PM
2.5inch any brands of muffler or resonator that you wanna use and yeah they pretty much start ur exhaust from the end of the hahn downpipe

Sunday, September 10, 2006 4:52 PM
so does it even do anything when you start your 2.5 inch exhaust? performance wise? i mean wouldnt it only do anything if you had bigger pipes on the end of the turbo exhaust outlet?
Sunday, September 10, 2006 5:38 PM
I cut mine right where it exits the subframe and used an adapter to make it 3in. all the way out the back.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Sunday, September 10, 2006 5:42 PM
Hey, so honestly does the exhaust setup do anything for your performace or just the sound? cause wouldnt it only make a difference if it came right out of the turbo with bigger pipes?
Sunday, September 10, 2006 6:46 PM
Free flowing exhaust = faster turbo spool = better performance. I have a 3" mandrel bent exhaust coming off a 2.5" down pipe and it sounds mean. If you want to be stealthy, make sure to get a resonator installed before the muffler.

Check out my Part Out List!! Great Prices !! http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/detail/52925/

Sunday, September 10, 2006 7:05 PM
It doesnt matter to me about being stealthy or not. but how does it spool any faster if it is still going down the same pipe I got with the hahn kit and then halfway under my car them connecting a 3 inch exhaust... im not trying to sound mean or anything just trying to understand how that would work. because of my knowledge i would have thought that it would have been necessary to have the 3" start straight from the turbo and out of the car.. I just cant see how much performance i would get with half 2 or 2.5" then midway they bolt in a 3". I dunno, i mean by all means someone please correct me and give me more information on how it would work.
Sunday, September 10, 2006 7:08 PM
I left the downpipe at 2.25in as it came from HRC to help the low end. It creates enough back pressure to let the turbo spool up quickly and then gets to the 3in pipe where it gets the hell out so more air can keep flowing through.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 7:13 PM
have you noticed anything since doing that setup? as in let say running a factory exhaust setup?
Sunday, September 10, 2006 7:28 PM
Import Killer wrote:have you noticed anything since doing that setup? as in let say running a factory exhaust setup?

Im not trying to be a dick here, but it OBVIOUSLY will make a difference, the exhaust is the most important upgrade to a turbo car , and you will see a bigger gain with one a turboed car, rather then a N/A car.

You will see a difference, a very notcable one.
Get one. End of story.

( PS: keep the HRC downpipe, and have a shop install 2.5'' mandel bent piping with a resonator , and you will be good )

Sunday, September 10, 2006 8:15 PM
Ok Ok, do you have any recommendations for a muffler? flowmaster? magnaflow?

Sunday, September 10, 2006 8:31 PM
I had a Magnaflow muffler on my cavalier ( non- turbo ) , and i really liked the way it sounded ...

I have a full 3'' turbo back on my civic from Thermal R&D, Click here to listen ...

I think it sounds good. You judge.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 8:33 PM
I have a Flowmaster 40 Series on my car. Love it. Nice deep tone and no rasp at all.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 9:19 PM
got a sound clip as well TVR hypsy?
Sunday, September 10, 2006 10:02 PM
3" turbo-back would be ideal. Since you already have the downpipe, it would probably be easier for you to connect the rest of the exhaust to there.

What larger piping does is take the backpressure off the turbine so that it spools quicker, which puts more power down quicker, which accelerates the car quicker. With larger exhaust piping, you will notice gains from the low end all the way through the rev range compared to your stock piping.

You want the very least amount of backpressure starting from the turbo all the way back, hence why 3" turbo-back piping would be ideal. In your case, you should have your HRC downpipe step up to 3" and enter a high flow cat, into a resonator if you'd like to quiet it a little, and then over the axle to the muffler. For the most unrestricted flow use straight through mufflers and resonators, which you can get from Magnaflow...all their mufflers are straight through.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 10:22 PM
Quote:

I cut mine right where it exits the subframe and used an adapter to make it 3in. all the way out the back.

x2. just had that done when i had the wideband installed. noticed a nice difference.

http://www.myspace.com/15102113

Monday, September 11, 2006 5:31 AM
do you have dyno number to prove that 3" is better than a 2.5"

You've got to remember that you still want some scavenging effect after the turbo or it will restrict your turbo becuse it will have to use more energy to force the exhaust behind it out. Just like N/A exhaust there is such a thing as too big and too small. The further away from the turbo the piping is the less it matters.

2.5" has been so far proven to be effective on the boosted ecotecs with a 3" back from the downpipe, or cat. Turbo size will also effect what works best.

-Chris

Monday, September 11, 2006 7:49 AM
well i have the 16G turbo, so would 2.5 or 3" be better?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search