ecotec s/c intercooler/heat exchanger - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ecotec s/c intercooler/heat exchanger
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 12:56 PM
Okay, so I posted a few weeks ago about what I should do next, and I have the money for the heat exchanger now but I'm not quite sure exactly what to get

I did some searching and I found this list in another post

$135 Heat exchanger
$150 Intercooler pump

GM Parts Direct

$16.00 Reservoir 22697069
$9.00 Bracket 22707614
$6.50 Cap for the reservoir- 15076936
$14.00 drain hose 22697111
$20.00 hose off the reservoir down 22731576

My questions are:
Which heat exchanger and pump works best? I live in a fairly hot area and sometimes have to drive through traffic to get through school

Also does it bolt up or is their any type of modding you have to do and if so what? I believe I remember seeing someone post pics about how they did it but I couldn't find the post again

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: ecotec s/c intercooler/heat exchanger
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:03 PM
I personally have the fluidyne heat exchanger for a cobra mustang and I am going to run either a cobra pump or a cobalt pump either one is good. But you can do what you want because a heat exchanger is a heat exchanger.
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:14 PM
it's all custom mounting, the only plug and play part is connecting the hoses to the intake manifold.

I personally bought a cobra heat exchanger and a f150 lightning pump, but nothing is installed yet so I can't tell you how well it works.

One thing you should keep in mind is some cobalt ss guys are running 20 psi on their supercharger with their stock cooling system which includes a much smaller heat exchanger than a stock cobra one. So basically unless you're willing to pay a premium to squeeze a few more hp with a high capacity heat exchanger like the Extreme LFP or other upgrades to cobras, the stock cobra heat exchanger will be just fine.

15.574 @ 89 mph stock without charger. new times with charger coming soon.
Thursday, August 31, 2006 10:54 AM
DanteMustDie wrote:
One thing you should keep in mind is some cobalt ss guys are running 20 psi on their supercharger with their stock cooling system which includes a much smaller heat exchanger than a stock cobra one.

Thats completely untrue the cobalt heat exchanger is the size of the radiator its just like 1.5" thick, its gotta be at least twice the size of the factory cobra heat exchanger. So one thing to keep in mind would be that cobras stock heat exchanger is running on a car making what like 6 psi, the cobalts have a unit designed for their factory 12.5 psi. Also, many many cobalt and ion guys are either doubling up the factory one or adding the cobra one to their system.

Check out my car....
http://members.cardomain.com/o4blackfire
Thursday, August 31, 2006 11:40 AM
Sorry about the wrong info, I was sure their heat exchanger was smaller.

I did though hear about them replacing their stock one with the cobra and seeing better results.

All in all unless you go extreme the stock cobra will cool the intake charge just fine.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 12:14 PM
So basically I shouldn't get the stuff from zzperformance I should get the cobra intercooler? Where should I get it, ebay or a specific website with best price?

I still get the other things from gm though right? Just the intercooler and pump from other places...

I swear I saw someone post pics before of how they mounted theirs, they had a cavalier I know...I think it was silver...ANyone have ideas? My dad really wants to see how you guys are doing it
Thursday, August 31, 2006 12:15 PM
that's phlatcav, just search for his posts...

Thursday, August 31, 2006 12:19 PM
Okay haha I couldn't remember if it was him I was thinking it was I know he posted it about 3 weeks ago lol
Thursday, August 31, 2006 12:36 PM
o4blackfire wrote:
DanteMustDie wrote:
One thing you should keep in mind is some cobalt ss guys are running 20 psi on their supercharger with their stock cooling system which includes a much smaller heat exchanger than a stock cobra one.

Thats completely untrue the cobalt heat exchanger is the size of the radiator its just like 1.5" thick, its gotta be at least twice the size of the factory cobra heat exchanger. So one thing to keep in mind would be that cobras stock heat exchanger is running on a car making what like 6 psi, the cobalts have a unit designed for their factory 12.5 psi. Also, many many cobalt and ion guys are either doubling up the factory one or adding the cobra one to their system.

actually that isnt correct

the width of the core on the redline and ss/sc is about 3/4"

and depending on the year of cobra and lightning , i believe they were closer to 10psi starting out

also forgot to mention the cobra and lightning their heat exchangers are not blocked like the redline/ss sc is , the redline ss/sc has the bumper blocking the middle of the core

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, August 31, 2006 12:38 PM

Thursday, August 31, 2006 12:37 PM
woah I don,t know what to think anymore....

anyway I have my cobra HE and I'm sure it'll do the job just fine

Sunday, September 03, 2006 3:54 PM
DanteMustDie wrote:woah I don,t know what to think anymore....

anyway I have my cobra HE and I'm sure it'll do the job just fine

It does the job better then the cobalts setup, I got the cobra HE and I am way cooler than my buddys cobalt SS, I can touch my blower after I go somewhere,and when you go to touch the cobalts you just about burn yourself. In fact, next weekend we are taking off the stock HE and putting the cobra one on his car.

Monday, September 04, 2006 9:30 AM
Where did you guys buy the cobra HE, did you get a stock one? I looked on ebay but it doesn't actually say the size of it and I'm scared it will be too big...
Monday, September 04, 2006 2:16 PM
Evil Lil SF wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUSTANG-COBRA-03-04-Fluidyne-Aluminum-Heat-Exchanger_W0QQitemZ180019704605QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33602QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I found this one would it fit okay?

over kill, plus its 300 bucks! get the cobra one and save 200

Monday, September 04, 2006 7:08 PM
Oo where did you buy yours? I didn't see any stock ones on ebay and I googled but I guess I'm a dummy and googled the wrong thing lol Which pump did you get?

Bleh good thing I have the money for this now I have to buy my bf a new engine for his car with my next paycheck
Monday, September 04, 2006 8:27 PM
I have the oem cobalt/redline pump. You can go to any cobra forum and find people selling their oem ones.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 5:30 AM
Ok thanks I'll do that lol

Man I love your rims haha you'd laugh if you saw mine they are off my old sunfire that got wrecked so they got a little banged up so we sanded them down a little then just painted them, they look SO bad on my car
Tuesday, September 05, 2006 6:32 PM
Just do a search on ebay for intercooler pump, I got mine shipped for 95.00

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 2:27 PM
friendly bump because it took me forever to find it!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 7:51 PM
Do yourself a favor and run the dual pass with 15psi intercooler mod from the Stage 3 kit. My IAT2 temps dropped 30 degrees and after a hour drive in bumper to bumper traffic my blower is almost cold.

Modds:
GM Stage 2 with SFPHQ 2.8 pulley
Injen Intake
GM Dual Pass Aftercooler w15psi Surge Tank
GMPP Exhaust Manifold
CTi 3" Downpipe and Cat
Custom 3" Cat Back with Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler
ZZ Engine Mount
ZZ Front Trans Mount
B&M Shifter
NGK BKR7E Plugs
DC Strut Tower Brace

Soon to be installed:
2.6 pulley, Siemens 60lbs Injectors, NGK 2 Step Colder Plugs
Tune Time Custom Dyno Tune

Thursday, January 18, 2007 3:25 PM
Your blower is almost cold? Wow I didn't know an intercooler that's located after the blower could actually cool the blower it's self ys eyes*

For those looking into the pumps, the ford lightning/cobra pump is exactly the same as the cobalt's.

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Thursday, January 18, 2007 7:12 PM
Your kidding right? You don't understand how the blower itself is not cooler? You do know its bolted to the manifold which heat soaks then tranfers heat to the blower housing itself. Now with this modd you have a dual pass through the manifold which transfers heat much more efficently so the manfold will stay cool as dose the blower. Ask any one with this modd if this is true or better yet try it yourself.

Modds:
GM Stage 2 with SFPHQ 2.8 pulley
Injen Intake
GM Dual Pass Aftercooler w15psi Surge Tank
GMPP Exhaust Manifold
CTi 3" Downpipe and Cat
Custom 3" Cat Back with Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler
ZZ Engine Mount
ZZ Front Trans Mount
B&M Shifter
NGK BKR7E Plugs
DC Strut Tower Brace

Soon to be installed:
2.6 pulley, Siemens 60lbs Injectors, NGK 2 Step Colder Plugs
Tune Time Custom Dyno Tune

Friday, January 19, 2007 10:09 AM
The blower gets hot because of the rotors not heat comming off the engine.

Friday, January 19, 2007 4:35 PM
I do intend upon trying it myself and my blower will be cooler than usual, however not from the dual pass mod. The dual pass mod helps because the fluid inside the intercooler doesn't travel through each intercooler core getting hotter as it passes each one. It can exit after the second core and new fluid will flow through letting the intercooler cores work more efficiently . It should in theory cool the charge air however the blower as Aaron said heats because of the rotors and mechanical friction.

It's the same instance for people running water/meth injection with the adapter plate that goes after the blower. It will cool the charge air but not the blower. If you want to cool the blower put the water injection just before the throttle body where it can actually have some affect.

With your theory I suppose the entire engine would run cooler also, as the intake manifold bolts to the cylinder head.

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Thursday, June 07, 2007 3:30 PM
okay we are tring to get my friends done should we order the hoses for the cobalts or just get some from autozone??

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search