Whos running a turbo set up with stock bottom end? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Whos running a turbo set up with stock bottom end?
Sunday, September 03, 2006 9:13 AM
Hey guys,

Well, i'm interested to see who's running a turbo set up, with tthe stock bottom end. Interested in Ld9's but doesnt matter what motor. What kind of psi and do you actually drive it or is it a garage queen.

Nate

Evolution of Cavyboy-->C22t--> C24na--->c24s/c
1995 Cavalier W/2k1 Engine
GM S/C 13.940@99.78pmh w/2.068 60ft

Re: Whos running a turbo set up with stock bottom
Sunday, September 03, 2006 9:22 AM
I do. I'd love to drive it, but everytime I do, I break something... for example, of the last 3 times I drove it...

1. Broke an axle
2. Blew coupler off 5 times in one day, eventually I blew the entire coupler off (along with both clamps) and needed to wait a week to get its replacement, by that time I was gone on business.
3. Blew my clutch (brand new stage 3 spec), this was last nights adventure.

I'm running 10psi on my high setting, and around 6.5 on my low setting.

Its become more of a garage queen (driveway queen in my case) than a fun driver.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Re: Whos running a turbo set up with stock bottom end?
Sunday, September 03, 2006 9:27 AM
stockk bottom end 2200 for me, driven everyday since i do not have another car. used to run it at 11psi but decided i was taking to much of a chance now its at about 8-9 psi.

i haven't had any huge problems with it at all either, even with the 3 spd auto, i'm actually surprised

Sunday, September 03, 2006 9:48 AM
I am running 5lbs. right now and I am hoping to be up to 7lbs. by the end of this week. Its on a stock bottom end. I will be going for 10lbs. over the winter when I can do some machine work.

~Boost. Its what's for dinner!~

Sunday, September 03, 2006 10:05 AM
eco stock bottom end 8 psi megasquirted runs mad trong

2.2 L Ecotec, P&P Head, Stage 3 Comp Cams, Supertech 76 lb Spring kit, Supertech Oversized Valves, Wiseco 8.9:1 CR Pistons, Eagle H-Beam Rods, Home-Built Turbo Kit T3/T4 57 Trim Intercooled, 78 lb/hr Racetronix Hi-Z injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Racetronix f body fuel pump,MEGASQUIRT MS3 + MS3X Finally street tuned on 21 lbs! Now if only I could get it to hook....
Sunday, September 03, 2006 10:51 AM
im gonna be running a stock bottom end for a bit no more then 12psi though

Sunday, September 03, 2006 12:00 PM
im running stock bottom end for about 9 months now. the car is daily driven and i dont have any problems. i was running about 8 psi for 6 months now its up to 10 psi with no problems

-- MyZcar

Sunday, September 03, 2006 1:32 PM
i was running 11psi for a few days on my stock bottom end before i was hit... dont know how long it would have lasted though... i personaly after seeing dyno numbers for 7psi wouldnt daily drive with more then 8 or 9psi on a turbo LD9 with stock bottom end...i just did the 11psi for a few races

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno
Sunday, September 03, 2006 2:15 PM
95 2.2
All stock except switch to 93 oil pump.
8 psi max
Many miles since turbo install, no garage queen.

Quote:

3. Blew my clutch (brand new stage 3 spec), this was last nights adventure.

Awww, man. And I've been thinking about replacing the stock 'bird clutch with a Spec 3 (for future needs).

-->Slow
Sunday, September 03, 2006 3:04 PM
I am running 12psi on my daily driven Cav. It has been tuned very well with HPtuners. I Have a T3/t4 .48 A/R turbine and .60 A/R 50 trim compressor housing, 2 1/2" charge pipes and intercooler, Secret cams, Full mandrel bent 2 1/2" exhaust with high flow cat and Magnaflow muffler. Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, HO manifold with 56mm throttle body all on a stock bottom with 91,000 miles on it. Before I upgraded my turbo, installed the secret cams and high flow cat I dynoed it at 223 hp and 259 tq.

Sunday, September 03, 2006 5:49 PM
Funny thing is with a Daily driver if you are driving to work and normal things you aren't running 11psi, or 7psi. I have a boosted J and under normal driving barely see 1 psi. SO it does not matter how high the boost is set if you are daily driving. It is when you play that it matters.

FU Tuning

Sunday, September 03, 2006 6:38 PM
i am running the saab TD04 setup. Lowest boost setting was 5 psi, highest was 12. usually im running 8. as for fuel im using the GM s/c reflash. in 6 monthes time the only problem ive had was the downpipe had to be retightend at the turbo since i change exhaust.

Sunday, September 03, 2006 7:51 PM
ahh, see you are wanting to upgrade.

i personally wouldnt turbo my ld9, trust me i thought about it.. not saying you cant make power, or waste of time etc or i even know what i am talking about. . I been around too long and havent seen a turbo j body last nearly as long as a GM s/cd car. I have only seen a few reliable turbo set ups over the years. i like what HAHN has to offer for the ecotecs(like that matters in this post).

ya, s/c is slower, but all depends on what your goals and expectations are.

me- s/c= no oil leaks, no exhuast leaks. only 5 psi. i drive this thing back and forth to work, i dont need to worry about a oil return line busting off, or messing up a turbo 15 mins into my commute. i wanted a set up i didnt have to tinker with. and the 3 years i had with the gm s/c i got hassle free boost, 30mpg, and didnt bust a thing. I didnt want to deal with the down time and the other issues that can arise with a custom turbo set up.

also turbo'ing a non turbo car. stuff is going to break . nothing was designed for the added HP.

in your case, you have HP tuners, and the gm s/c flash. so you are set up awesome for tuning.

all up to you. you can make some nice power if done right.

good luck and keep us updated.

Sunday, September 03, 2006 10:54 PM
12psi for a year on a a stock bottom eco.

2-3 weeks on 18-20psi before it blew

http://www.myspace.com/15102113

Sunday, September 03, 2006 11:13 PM
Coming up on 2 years now.......

2200 stock internals period.......

highest boost setting 11psi, lowest 5psi.....

I don't beat my car and I do oil changes Religiously................ (every 2500kms)

motor has 120000 kms........

lots of maintainance..... LOTS..... but thats because I want everything running like a otherwise "stock" car.....

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Sunday, September 03, 2006 11:15 PM
John Higgins wrote:Funny thing is with a Daily driver if you are driving to work and normal things you aren't running 11psi, or 7psi. I have a boosted J and under normal driving barely see 1 psi. SO it does not matter how high the boost is set if you are daily driving. It is when you play that it matters.

and you sir, had THE most true statement here.... good on you.....

it really doesn't matter.... I could say 20psi ... daily..... but hitting 20 psi and having it set there are 2 different things.....

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Monday, September 04, 2006 8:36 AM

mmm..better yet. Who here with the stock bottom end has been to the track and not broken anything. ?

Or has track times to back up their setup.

Of course i' like to go faster And there not much i can change on my gm s/c to go faster other then somehow dropping my 60ft times. Considering a minor build or pistons/rods. Theres a guy in las vegas, Spyhunter, who did a very minor/easy build on his 2.4l in a grand am, and is pushing 36xhp/36xtq and runs 12.6. But hes using a garrett gtr30 turbo or something like that. I'm not sure how much bigger that one is..but hes layind down some impressive numbers.

Nate

Monday, September 04, 2006 9:57 AM
We all know what me and Yasmin did on stock bottem ends......Of course we have the Ecotec, which we all know is better

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, September 04, 2006 10:33 AM
I run lots of boost.... I love it....

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Monday, September 04, 2006 12:33 PM
Ran 15 psi on a stock bottom end... was fine until the headbolts stretched.

Pistons, rings and rods looked great coming out.

My recommendation? Don't go over 10.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, September 05, 2006 7:41 AM
I run 7 psi on stock bottom end 2.4L LD9 and did 14.4 quarter mile time.

It has been 4 months since I run this cutom turbo setup and the only problem I had is a cracked manifold so I'm having exhaust leaks.

The engine run pretty great. I've never hit over 9 psi.

After all the time and 2500$ I spent on the car, I think it really worth it.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 8:18 PM
Im runngin around 10 psi on a stock bottom end. I havent fully tested it. I have a dead sensor and now an oil leak I mrefuse to get on it till everything is fixed good. but Im still explodeding cheap ebay couplers. I need better clamps and couplers.

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 11:06 AM
Was running 11psi on a stock 2.4 bottom, but then popped it.

Blew it up, build numbers coming soon
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 5:01 PM
mmm... so i'm running consistant times, durability, and drive it everyday..and max it out on the hwy stretch too...all with no problems. Maybe ill stay s/c. Just gotta figure out how to drop another couple of tenths.

Nate

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 5:41 PM
throw a small nitrous shot on

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search