Darton Sleeves? GoIng big but want opinions - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Darton Sleeves? GoIng big but want opinions
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 10:46 PM
This winter im going to be rebuilding my motor and considering using these darton sleeves and boring it out to 90mm and having custom pistons made my weisco and using eagle h beam rods. Plan on a 8.9 compression pistons with the na cometic hg so probably closer to 9:1 compression. My question is has anyone used these yet? Just curious how serious people have built their eco's i know qbe just rebuilt his motor and i know hypsy just built his but i plan on building it big and wondering if there are any experienced people out there with these sleeves. If not im looking forward to exploring the first L61 with a 2.4 liter displacement. I think that this build would be disgusting and is gonna make some serious power and am really worried about the drivetrain does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone know of people breaking cranks yet? thats my only concern basically is the crank going south if i make too much power. And yes this will be a daily driven car as well so not just fun for the track. Plan on doing a avcr for gear dependent boost. And if anyone has had experience with the comp cams please chime in and tell me some results. I also plan on doing the gm or patriot head. Please questions/concerns/opinions/flames all welcome.

*2012 mazdaspeed3*

Re: Darton Sleeves? GoIng big but want opinions
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 6:51 AM
You really wouldn't need to sleeve the block. Stock sleeves are good for around 700whp.. Nobody has cracked a sleeve yet, so i would say lots of power can be made on the stock sleeves.

Blew it up, build numbers coming soon
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:13 PM
the stock sleeves will be fine for a STREET car.

http://www.myspace.com/15102113

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:46 PM
I'd say go for the Darton sleeves if you plan on making big power. But... The first thing I would do (am doing) is installing a forged crank. Then I will add the sleeves with the 8.9:1 pistons, p&p head and so forth. FYI To my knowledge, the stock crank is only able to safely hold around 500hp. I know I don't post much here, guys, but I guarantee that I will have the most powerful jbody in all of Alabama and perhaps the SE. We (business partner and business aquaintences) are shooting for 800+hp to the wheels by this Spring.

Yeah... Whether if it will still be streetable is highly unlikely. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:49 PM
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:59 PM
well the real reason for sleeving the block is for the larger bore i want it to be a 2.4 liter and be able to run mad boost. Not really wanting over 450hp but i want it to be reliable and not break under stress. I want to be able to beat on it but then again i want to drive it like a granny sometimes. Its gonna be a street car until i have money for an s2k. But honestly i think im not gonna do another crank because the turbo im using will not spool hard and create tons of torque immediately it will be a very smooth power curve. and yes no one has cracked the stock sleeves that we know of yet but how much are they boring it? how much boost how often. I want like 290-300hp daily and be able to crank boost for like 400+ when i want to play. Im not looking to be the fastest but definately clean house when need be. But we shall havent completely decided on everything yet but i know whatever i do its gonna be big and its gonna be fast. trying to find someone to build a bulletproof trans anyone got any suggestions?

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 4:59 PM
if you are gonna drop that kinda money into it and you are worried about the crank i would spend the extra 1000 for a new crank.. that just my opinion though..

if your gonna do it.. do it right
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 5:06 PM
if all you want is 300 or so get pistons, rods, and a hahn kit...done.
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 5:51 PM
Quote:

well the real reason for sleeving the block is for the larger bore i want it to be a 2.4 liter and be able to run mad boost. Not really wanting over 450hp but i want it to be reliable and not break under stress.

u dont need a forged crank, darton sleeves and a bored out 2.4 to do that.... hahn did it without all that. im pretty close to their build. ill have numbers in a month after its broken in and i track it.

penny wise dollar foolish. thats stuff that isnt needed. if anything. port the @!#$ out of the head.

http://www.myspace.com/15102113

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 6:39 PM
who said i was only aiming for 300 if you read the whole post you would have seen teh 400+ on there. I know i dont need to do those things to make that power. But if i need less boost to acheive that number i will. 700 bucks for sleeves motor built for free. Hmmm i think ill take the sleeves that are proven to 40+psi. Forged crank i dont think is necessary at this point in time. Not as a daily driver that is. Im not worried about the crank going south cause i dont plan on making over 500bhp. and the 20g is a nice turbo for what hahn is doing but the turbo im looking at is bigger and i dont plan on spending 4500 on turbo parts thats assanine when i can build all of this for under 6k. I prefer to do everything myself except for the boring and probably have someone tune it. i think spyhunter was making 340 on 13psi. Whats hahn doing for 403hp? i think its like 22psi. Im pretty sure with a gt30 403 hp will come before 22psi or something a little under. Not that im knocking hahn at all they are definately ahead of most with the ecotec. I dont wanna get raped for saying anything bad about hahn because i know many people who have the kit and love it as do I. But i wont spend 3500 on a fuel pressure tuned system. Just my opinion. but yes the sleeves would probably be overkill but no one answered my question who has bored a stock sleeve to 2.4 and run mad power? Yes i dont need a 2.4 but thats not the question at hand. I want a 2.4 why because im greedy like that. Ok so maybe here is a better question who would trust a stock sleeve making over 400 hp with a 90mm bore?

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 6:46 PM
yeah but with something that big whats your spool time lookin at? full spooly at 4500 rpms si stupid to run a little elss boost.. i'd run more boost and have full spool by 3000

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 6:56 PM
with a 2.4 full port and polish with turbo cams. I dont think it will be more than 3800. Sorry ive had small turbos and big turbo i prefer smooth power band than jerky mc jerk. its a .63 exhaust housing and a .60 compressor housing. Last turbo on stock everything was .63 turbine and .50 compressor and it spooled before 3500. boosted to only 7.8 but after boost threshold it was shooting up pretty quick. Plus im more into a roll car than anything thats when i seem to encounter the most fun. But even from a dig that last turbo was smooth and fun with tons of top end power. Love seeing an srt-4 with stage 1 and other @!#$ jump the gun on me from a roll of about 50 then top of 3rd for me just breezing by him its nice i enjoyed.

*2012 mazdaspeed3*

Thursday, August 31, 2006 10:35 AM
Those a.r's really aren't that big. What wheels are in that turbo... that's what truly matters... that mandates flow ability.

I'd honestly say if you want 450 safe whp I'd get the crank heat treated and strengthened, and that's all you'd need for that... sleeves are unncessary... and of course take care of the head and match the cams properly to the application and turbo. You need to sit down and do a lot of math before you order parts and pick compression ratios.

Good luck.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search