GM S/C question for 2.2 ECO - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM S/C question for 2.2 ECO
Sunday, August 27, 2006 12:44 PM
Ok, I've been reading these forums for months so I've decided to participate. I have a 2004 Cavalier (2.2 ECO) with an automatic transmission and I'm in the process of saving money for the S/C. Now I know this question has been asked before...but people seem to all have different opinions, so I wanted to get them all in one place. Can I run the STOCK S/C (which should push something like 10-12psi) on my stock internals. Also, someone told me that the GM S/C kit came with 42lb fuel injectors...is that true?

Thanks,
BMG

Re: GM S/C question for 2.2 ECO
Sunday, August 27, 2006 2:02 PM
considering that GM honors the warranty with the s/c, why even worry about it ? Do you think they'd sell a part that would destroy our engine and then they'd have to pay for the repairs ? and no, the injectors are 370cc, not sure how many lbs that is though, somewhere in the higher 30's I think ?

15.574 @ 89 mph stock without charger. new times with charger coming soon.
Sunday, August 27, 2006 5:56 PM
im 14psi and still running strong "knocks on wood"

Sunday, August 27, 2006 7:48 PM
Thanks a million guys, this was nothing that I didn't expect but I just wanted to hear it, lol. Also, the injectors that come with the kit will work fine? Will I need a new fuel pump? Sorry for asking more questions, but I'm just trying to get this all cleared up in my head.

Thanks again!
BMG

P.S. Phlatcav...I love your car...
Sunday, August 27, 2006 7:52 PM
nope, stock fuel rail will work fine

injectors will work fine, they're 36lb I believe.

Sunday, August 27, 2006 8:24 PM
what about 2.0 fuel rail will it work better
Sunday, August 27, 2006 8:31 PM
your fuel rail is fine, 2.0 fuel rail is pointless to switch to.

Thankx for the comment

Sunday, August 27, 2006 8:42 PM
Thanks again guys....phlat does your cavalier still pull pretty hard being an automatic?...and can anyone....anyone at all give me some 0-60mph time WITH the GM S/C, I don't care which pulley you're using...I just want an idea of what I'm gonna be looking at. Sorry I've mixed a lot of crap into one post, but I don't see the need in making bunches of posts that are only gonna get like one reply and just take up space...

Thanks,
BMG
Sunday, August 27, 2006 9:00 PM
GM Performance designs the supercharger kits as exactly that - a "kit" that comes with everything you need. Even the calibration to re-flash your PCM so it runs perfectly, with the supercharger installed.

As long as you buy a complete kit and install it properly... you'll likely have no issues

(Unless you do as I did... don't get the reflash done properly... doh!)

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:55 AM
yea you shouldnt have any issues if everything is done and installed correctly, as someone else said this kit is made to work with the stock everything on the ecotec, and if a part is needed to be changed it should be included with the kit.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 10:55 AM
BMG wrote:Thanks again guys....phlat does your cavalier still pull pretty hard being an automatic?...and can anyone....anyone at all give me some 0-60mph time WITH the GM S/C, I don't care which pulley you're using...I just want an idea of what I'm gonna be looking at. Sorry I've mixed a lot of crap into one post, but I don't see the need in making bunches of posts that are only gonna get like one reply and just take up space...

Thanks,
BMG

Yes the automatic still pulls pretty well. Personally I wish mine was an auto with the blower instead of a stick just so my first gear didn't end so quickly and i didn't have to respond instantly to shift. Plus I think having the ETC would make things a lot easier from a dead stop rather than just burning off tires left and right. To answer your question on the 0-60 you should be in the 5 second range. The only thing I have done to mine is an airfilter and the car still runs great. It is truly a great designed combination for a easy maintenance and installation for boost. Sometimes I wonder though if I should have just stuck with the original code not the flash and used HP Tuners but since I am still underwarranty I figure why not let it just go the way it was designed for now. Good luck with your kit you won't regret it (except when you fill your tank and have to use premium now )

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 10:59 AM
5 seconds is pushing it, I'd say mid 6s for the 0-60... at least when the supercharger is in an otherwise stock car...

airtonics was probably in the 5 second range with his 2.8" pulley

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 12:05 PM
The stock motor will last longer if you intercool it, just dont let it run lean or you will fry your piston rings like me

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 12:19 PM
DanteMustDie wrote:5 seconds is pushing it, I'd say mid 6s for the 0-60... at least when the supercharger is in an otherwise stock car...

airtonics was probably in the 5 second range with his 2.8" pulley

I guess it also might have something to do with what model you are running. I have the 1SV and if you pull the 0-60 out of my track times it is usually around 5.3 - 5.5 seconds. Depending on how bad I spin off the line.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 12:22 PM
^^^ that a bit surprising considering that is faster than a Subaru WRX STI which has more power and AWD. what are you using to monitor your 0-60 ?

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 12:28 PM
also isn't your car a heavy cav of about 2900 lbs ? I really can't fathom how you'd cut a low 5 being this heavy and having about 200 whp. unless all car manufacturer 0-60s are off and the STI is in the 4s...

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 2:40 PM
Wouldn't the 0-60 times all vary coming from the factory due to how well the driver can actually drive/launch the car from the line? Just my $0.02....

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 4:35 PM
Thanks for all the help guys...I know the S/C won't be something I regret....at least until I run out of money and wish I had $2500 extra bucks to spend, lol. Thanks for the 0-60mph times as well, I couldn't seem to find them. I had it figured to be in the 6's somewhere, just wondering if anyone KNEW a rock solid time. Speaking of the premium fuel (encriptor), what gas mileage am I to be expecting?
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 5:07 PM
Your gas mileage shouldnt be that much different than what it is now, as long as you dont have a heavy foot you should be fine. I filled my car up just over a week ago and it still has close to a 1/2 tank left and i've been going to work and doing errands around town.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 6:13 PM
I got a question I got 2.2 cavi auto i have every bolt on and now am getting supercharger with 2.9 pulley comp cam the blower application and also getting the head ported and polish what kind of whp can i get out of it and what times in the 1/4 since is a auto o and also fuel injectors from the 2.0 and and the hp tuner
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:15 PM
Thanks Alex for the gas mileage follow up...I had heard that it would make a HUGE difference, and I had also heard that it would make no difference at all...so many people with so many opinions, lol. Thanks again to everyone that helped!

BMG

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:38 PM
Np, i'm always willing to help.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:44 PM
i dont think superchargers affect gas mileage to much my friends gtp gets about 18.5 and he drives normal and give some gas every once in a while thats a 3600 pound porker too
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:56 PM
I'm still getting 400+ miles to the tank with my charger...

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:22 PM
400+ miles per tank would be awesome. I hope mine is that good when I get a charger, thanks for your input!

BMG
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search