Question about emissions and turbo/sc cars - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Question about emissions and turbo/sc cars
Thursday, August 24, 2006 6:06 PM
To those that have turbocharger or supercharger systems installed on your cars, has the install automatically created a check engine light or not? I didn't figure the GM chargers would but I wasn't so sure about turbocharged cars.

Reason I'm asking, 96+ cars in my area are plugged into an OBD-2 scanner and if the check engine light is on you are instantly failed and I've already had a bad enough experience with an OBD-2 car not passing emissions after installing a turbocharger.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Question about emissions and turbo/sc cars
Thursday, August 24, 2006 8:30 PM
if gm produced the kit as long as everything is exactly as the kit came it will pass emissions im sure. But emissions people are dumb. If your gear shift idicator doesnt work in my area they will fail you. They just know they can be Stingy about it so they are. But i havent heard anything about the gm charger kits throwing codes.

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:07 PM
Yeah I didn't figure that the GM kit would cause a check engine light being a factory based kit. I was more referring to people that had turbo kits or the RSM supercharger for example.
Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:09 PM
ive been boosted 3 seperate times and there are only few things that throw codes but nothing that cant be fixed to pass emissions

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:17 PM
Respooled2k3 sorry to go a little off topic here but how do they know if your car did or didn't come with a shift light? i know vw's dont have them so would people out there have issues getting those cars to pass?

Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:41 PM
Ok as long as nothing permanent is affected. Like with my SE-R, the EGR system is obviously removed and when doing so the check engine light is constantly on. There is an ECU that disables this so that you can go through emissions, but without it isn't possible to get through.
Thursday, August 24, 2006 11:00 PM
My car has been turbo'd for 3-4 months now. I had a check engine light for 2 codes: a high idle due to a vacuum leak and the downstream O2 sensor heater circuit. I fixed the vacuum leak and both codes cleared themselves. Since then I've gotten another CEL but in a few days it cleared itself and the light turned off so I never got that one checked to see what it was. So now that the light is off, and my inspection has been due for a while, I'm getting it inspected this weekend. It should pass just fine when they plug in the OBDII code reader. I'll let you know.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search