Getting ready to boost! What plugs should I use? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Getting ready to boost! What plugs should I use?
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:52 AM
I have searched this for awhile, but can't really find an answer. Im getting ready to put on a T3/T4 turbo on my 2.2 ecotec, so what type of plugs should I use? I will most likely be running about 6-8 psi until I get forged internals.

Re: Getting ready to boost! What plugs should I use?
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 2:59 PM
I'd suggest the Champion SRT4 plugs for only 6-8 PSI but others will suggest the SRT4 NGK plugs. The Champs are 1 step colder and the NGK ones are 2 steps colder. You don't need to be going two steps colder though for that light a boost pressure. Both are the right length too.

And I sell both

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Re: Getting ready to boost! What plugs should I us
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 4:15 PM
i have the ngk 4306, i think that might be what hypsy is talking about... these has worked well for me, even when i was pushing 5-6psi... now im trying to get to around 12-15psi and they are still holding up ok...

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 7:02 PM
Unless the NGKs are designed for the SRT4 they are not correct. The ones from older J-Bodies are TOO SHORT as I visually proved. If you are using them you are a moron and deserve to blow up your car. (Not directed at anyone. Just a general comment)

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 7:12 PM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:Unless the NGKs are designed for the SRT4 they are not correct. The ones from older J-Bodies are TOO SHORT as I visually proved. If you are using them you are a moron and deserve to blow up your car. (Not directed at anyone. Just a general comment)

based off what you said im assuming people use spark plugs on there j-bodies that were designed for older j-bodies? just making sure because it was hard to make sense of the comment

ngk 4306 were not specfically made for the srt4 so i am guessing that we are talking about different plugs

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=103803&t=90510

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 7:59 PM
People were using the same plugs on the Ecotec as they did on the 2.4L. The 2.4L plugs are WAY TOO SHORT. That's what I'm talking about. If you want proof look for my old post from when I was installing my stage 2 head.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:11 PM
I'll have to grab a box to get the part numbers of the ones Ii run, but with the srt4 plugs worked great for a while but then I had costant misfires (felt like fuel cut) over 6psi. I run really aggressive cam timing and slightly hot so I think the shorter plug actually works better for me. Being shielded in the head might keep it a bit cooler. I also ran the tr6's for a while with now problems.
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:12 PM
Oh and Hypsy I havn't see you online but the problem you described the other day sounds exactly like what was happening to me with the srt 4 plugs. Hit my up online an we'll talk.
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 7:11 AM
What problem? I know exactly what's causing my current issues.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 12:44 PM
NGK TR6

farmerz24
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:07 PM
would the stock plug in NGK iridium run okay in boosted application?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search