2psi in first and 7psi in rest of gears? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2psi in first and 7psi in rest of gears?
Thursday, July 21, 2005 12:09 AM
has anyone ever had this problem, it started up tonight, at first i thought it was oil pressure to much oil stopping the turbo from continuing to spool...then i thought it was my boost controller doing sumthing wierd....and then my tranny came to mind
anyone have any idea, jus starting off in first it sometimes only hits 2psi and stops and sooon as the auto trany shifts it jumps to 7psi and is all good
anyone have any ideas?

<a href="www.daptronics.com">www.daptronics.com Huge Discounts on Electronics</a>

Re: 2psi in first and 7psi in rest of gears?
Thursday, July 21, 2005 4:15 AM
Wow, that's really weird.

You sure you don't have any boost leaks anywhere? Did you check all of your vacuum lines?

MaximumBoost.net
1-888-TURBO-31
sales@maximumboost.net

TAX ID: 45-8013458577-3
Thursday, July 21, 2005 6:43 AM
I'd tend to say boost leak...

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Thursday, July 21, 2005 7:12 AM
Well on my grand am I'd get 2 psi in first gear and 5 in 2nd and 3rd, because whoever installed my setup had the wastegate adjusted all the way open. Check that out (if you have an internal wastegate to make sure the flapper isnt all the way open or something.
Thursday, July 21, 2005 9:39 AM
YAH I DO have a small boost leak, its jus every other gear spools up n boosts fine, its wierd hahah, but yah ima try to fix that, and i guess this all started when i got a boost controller mayb i gotta mess with the settings abit, i duno....and yes its a auto grand am
sooo duno...

<a href="www.daptronics.com">www.daptronics.com Huge Discounts on Electronics</a>
Thursday, July 21, 2005 10:54 PM
Another turbo grand am... cool... what year is it?
Monday, July 17, 2006 4:32 PM
OMG its doin it again, i even started another post...now it does it in more than one gear im so confused..its like the wastegate is opening not boost leak...its so wierd....everyone think its a boost controller issue....

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:00 PM
My car doesn't usually hit full boost in first gear that because the load on the engine and the gas being burned isn't as much as say second or third gear.

For example...If I were to start my car off at 10km/h then floor it the car will loose just a bit of traction before it grips. However, if I were to load my car with people say an extra 500lbs worth I can get my car to loose traction to the point where I get tire smoke filling the air because.......it hits full boost.

You have to remember that the turbo is spooled by exhuast gases. The more exhaust gas you have coming out, the more the turbo will spool.

Here's a suggestion...find a steep hill and try driving up, see if it hits full boost in first.

Good luck

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:23 PM
ahah you finally got it started up ?? ahah i might have to stop by tomorrow after work...

but yea if your only getting 2psi or what ever in every gear i would say you have a major boost leak or somthing is messed up with your wastegate...

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno
Thursday, July 20, 2006 8:01 PM
Derek Spencer wrote:YAH I DO have a small boost leak, its jus every other gear spools up n boosts fine, its wierd hahah, but yah ima try to fix that, and i guess this all started when i got a boost controller mayb i gotta mess with the settings abit, i duno....and yes its a auto grand am
sooo duno...

I was thinking the same thing about the boost controller. Is it a manual or electronic boost controller? I would check that and see if it's hooked up correctly.

+1 for the turbo N-bodies on the JBO

Friday, July 21, 2006 11:19 AM
its gotta be something with the electric boost controller...i unhooked it and hooked up the line straight to wastegate
and i believe it has a 5 psi spring...i make 2.1 psi all the time MAX...and that is the max i get in first...so i figure its sumthing with that..if i manually put the car in first (auto), and rev it up it usualy builds full boost..but when its in drive..in first it usualy @!#$ up and doesnt build the boost..ima mess around with the settings on the boost controller haha...any other thoughts guys?..

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search