Gas, boost, vacuum, tranny or exhaust! - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gas, boost, vacuum, tranny or exhaust!
Monday, June 19, 2006 3:53 PM
Well here is the run down. Sorry it's long but if you've the time please give it a glance and give it a guestimate!

2001 Cavalier z24
Auto transmission with a BM Shift+ for 1 1/2 years.

Pacesetter header, downtube has been loud and raspy even after I had a full 2 1/4 exhaust put on and had the shop readjust it. It seems to be loud but not necessarily leak.

GM supercharger bought used from a JBO member and put on just several weeks ago. Put in the whole kit: plugs, injectors, charger etc.

Here is the deal:
1st scenario
nearing the 70mph mark on the highway and pressing (but not all the way to the floor) the gas to speed up, my car will hesitate and stumble feeling similar to hitting the govorner limiter. The RPMs reflect the stutter by bouncing casually in the 2500-3000 range(i think it's 2500) or whatever is normal at the 70mph.

2nd scenario
Rolling from a stop, maybe 10-15mph and flooring it the RPMs will shoot up like crazy and if I stay on it the car will eventually catch up to the rpms and take off. I've also had this same feeling while merging on the freeway. I usually go WTF and let off the gas then hit it again and sometimes even then it doesnt get going right away.

I've done some playing with the BM on setting 1 and 2 and Off, but I think it's all the same at this point. Other times the car runs great and doesnt miss a beat but other times it feels like crap.

I thought it was my exhaust having a really bad leak, but I doubt it cause it's not exceptionally loud. Thought it might be the fuel pump struggling, which it very well could be. I checked the plugs already and they were fine, readjusted the injectors and no leaks. Thought it could be the transmission, i even dumped a bottle of Slick 50 restorer hoping it would work but I only got half the bottle before my funnell broke on me and couldnt finish. I gues it could also be a throttle cable issue or something with the charger itself, but i still have my money on the fuel pump. What do you think?

Re: Gas, boost, vacuum, tranny or exhaust!
Monday, June 19, 2006 4:36 PM
judging from what you've said in 2nd scenario...i'd say you have a tranny problem. being electronic, how it operates and sends messages to the ECm will adversely effect how your car runs. if its not working right, the ECM will know it and can do its own thing. not for sure but if your RPM's go up drastically when flooring but the car has to catch up to it then i'd say a torque converter or perhaps a tranny clutch band slipping.

Monday, June 19, 2006 10:53 PM
so you are running the s/c spark plugs?

maybe gap them a little smaller, or try another plug.

start with the simple stuff first.

good luck.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 4:29 AM
sounds to me( i had/have a simular problem ) that it might be an injector,i noticed one of my plugs that showed detonation on the plug,i hope this helps,check the injector pulse width

if at first you don't succeed,you should probably give up
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 12:17 PM
Well, my CEL came back on which I forgot to mention had happend in the last few weeks and I just unplugged the battery assuming it was the O2 at the cat(had that problem when i had a cat put in last time too). I couldnt get it checked before cause my fuse was blown and I didnt know it was the reason for not being able to get an OBD2 reader to work. But now I got it scanned and its P1137. I'm guessing I should make sure my header didnt melt the wires, that my connections are tight, there is no moisture in the wiring enclosure(it's a bosh universal that's been on for 3 years) and that its in tact. Think this could be the cause of my other issues?

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 1:02 PM
well, the universal enclosure they give for the 4 wires (only 2 of which my car uses) was melted kinda bad. The wiring on both ends of the connector were fine with no signs of being melted but as for the enclosure it was fubar really! I'm not going to reset the code but rather see if my car will adjust it out.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 8:37 PM
Well I drove several miles on the thing now and the CEL hasn't gone away yet. I'm thinking I may just go buy another O2 sensor and toss it in there but should I unplug the battery or have Autozone reset my CEL or wait it out? I'm really wishing I had bought the Wideband when I intended to two weeks ago to ensure I'm not running Lean, but the car seems to be running alot better now than just yesterday despite having the CEL on. Please, any input is welcome and apreciated. I'm just trying not to ruin a good thing here!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 10:46 AM
and what exactly does the book say P1137 is for a code??

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 11:21 AM
P1137 HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 2 Lean System or Low Voltage.

Supercharger issues revisited, input welcome!
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 10:21 AM
Ok, so I gapped the plugs to .40, injectors are not leaking but I couldn't get my Ohm tester working so I'll try to check the resistance today sometime. Today I changed the fuel filter (102,000 miles) and plan on ordering a walbro 190lph fuel pump soon because I have a suspicion that it's just not drawing enough fuel. Any other thoughts about what I can do?

Re: Supercharger issues revisited, input welcome!
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 10:44 AM
Did you change the O2 sensor?

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 10:54 AM
No, I was hoping the fuel filter would help out. I guess I should just change that sensor all together!

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 10:58 AM
what is your actual fuel psi???? sound like the pump is on its way out...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 11:01 AM
Yes, change the sensor. If you are running with a CEL like the O2 sensor, your car will be running in limp mode. If the sensor is bad, nothing will "even it out", you HAVE to change the sensor.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 11:55 AM
its the after cat o2 throwing the code , that shouldnt effect the way its running at all

ive got TR6 plugs gapped at .035 , and my shift plus is always on 2 (my trans doesnt like off or 1)

kinda sounds like the start of a trans issue , maybe try level 2 if you havent already

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 12:46 PM
SuperPyrofreek(Now With Boost) wrote:P1137 HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 2 Lean System or Low Voltage.

That is for the second O2 senseo (behind the cat). I would get a new sensor. Also get a ACDelco one.

I would also regap the plugs as well.

Also what exactly do your plugs look like? Color? Do they all look the same?

FU Tuning

Thursday, July 06, 2006 11:30 AM
Well, I changed the downstream o2 sensor and reset the computer. The old sensor is definitely trashed and wasnt even seated all the way into the piping since it was striped. The car drove much better but with some hesitation still. I switched the BM to setting 2 and it seems to be better that way minus the initial slamming into gear after startups. I believe my CEL trouble is over, I'll still be looking for it in the next day or so, but do you think by strapping on my tranny cooler I will get rid of some of the hesitation? Thanks again to everyone for letting me put my CEL diary on here and throwing me your input.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search