Ecotec dragster - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec dragster
Saturday, June 17, 2006 7:33 AM
I was not sure where to post this, but since the power levels they are claiming and it is boosted I thought I would post it here.

see this thread second post down.
Ecotec Dragster
Keep scrolling and you will see a picture of it mounted. This is a local shop. They produced the very first street Ecotec Kit on Josh Solomon's cavy. It held 19psi on stock motor and pulled 113mph in the 1/4. This is also the company that start out as SpeedCraft way back when. The now owner Tracy is a great Tuner. He will be tuning my cars with HPTuners once I have it.

FU Tuning

Re: Ecotec dragster
Saturday, June 17, 2006 7:54 AM
Badass street car.

275hp & 306tq - 1999 2.2 ohv
13.2 @ 108 mph
-1996 2.4 liter + Turbo + Built motor + Torco + More boost = Lots o' Power
-2000 Mustang GT + 2004 Cobra motor, Whipple 2.3 supercharger,
built rear-end,Dodge Viper spec T56 6 speed, bolt-ons = wheelies at the track!!!!!

Saturday, June 17, 2006 12:39 PM
THat is crazy i never thought id see an ecotec in a rail dragster

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, June 17, 2006 2:06 PM
once i saw streetglow's 2JZ rail car i knew one of these was pretty much inevitable... can't wait to see it smoke some 2jz ass

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, June 17, 2006 3:00 PM
^^^ that would be sweet to see, lol.

Saturday, June 17, 2006 3:29 PM
wow. check out that manifold

Saturday, June 17, 2006 4:55 PM
you should post on there that both the Nopi circuits and NHRA Sport compact have proven that nothing is competitive w/ the GM ecotec motor.

If they had any more weight to those dang GM cars then they might as well use factory cars and stuff those motors in ;P

Saturday, June 17, 2006 5:03 PM
Now go easy on me, i'm kinda learning as I go with the turbo perspective but I'm guessing that turbo would take some time to spool since the tubing of the manifold is so long. I thought it needed to have shorter tubing? Like I said, go easy on me, i'm still gaining knowledge about turbo's, lol.

Saturday, June 17, 2006 8:50 PM
actaully the design of the manifold can help it spool it faster.

Sunday, June 18, 2006 11:22 AM
most drag cars use nitrous too assist as well

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional."
Sunday, June 18, 2006 1:54 PM
the drag team i spoke with was making 1600 horse power@ 60psi (the most power they ever dyno'd) they work with the guy Jason (i'm almost positive thats his name) over on cobalt SS.net that has the orange cobalt that does like 10s and still has sticker price in the window

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.33@88.5mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001

Sunday, June 18, 2006 2:24 PM
Long tube manifolds spool slower because of the extra discipated heat but they allow for higher peak HP.

If you think that they are launching it out of boost though... you're crazy!

Cardomain|Myspace

Sunday, June 18, 2006 3:25 PM
thats freaking sweet man

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Sunday, June 18, 2006 5:36 PM
I have pictures of another one if someone wants to host them or upload them for me. I don't want to sit and wait for 7-10 pictures to upload.

Oh yeah...I have pics of the times from it too...7.21@204

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, June 19, 2006 8:27 AM
Ohh3SunFire wrote:the drag team i spoke with was making 1600 horse power@ 60psi (the most power they ever dyno'd) they work with the guy Jason (i'm almost positive thats his name) over on cobalt SS.net that has the orange cobalt that does like 10s and still has sticker price in the window

Orange Cobalt that runs 10s and his name is Jason?

Sorry but I think you have that confused maybe with someone named Brian Ballard (sp) who's best time was @ NOPI running a 9.24 @ 155 MPH I believe....

That Ecotec Drag Rail car belongs to Don Ness Jr. if I remember correctly... as for how much power it makes... not 100% sure...

Monday, June 19, 2006 12:20 PM
i wish i could tell ya his name for some reason jason sticks in my head....they were at my school for advertisement program with matco tools. the team was from maryland...i was told their best dyno pull was around 1600hp on the dragster. Jason hunt (orange cobalt)

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.33@88.5mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Monday, June 19, 2006 1:26 PM
Quote:

i wish i could tell ya his name for some reason jason sticks in my head....they were at my school for advertisement program with matco tools. the team was from maryland...i was told their best dyno pull was around 1600hp on the dragster. Jason hunt (orange cobalt)

damn... that is they badesst cobalt iv seen.... wonder what type of ems he is using. wonder if full race is going to start making eco kits

Monday, June 19, 2006 3:08 PM
Alex wrote:Now go easy on me, i'm kinda learning as I go with the turbo perspective but I'm guessing that turbo would take some time to spool since the tubing of the manifold is so long. I thought it needed to have shorter tubing? Like I said, go easy on me, i'm still gaining knowledge about turbo's, lol.

You are correct, longer tubing will cause a slower spool but when a motor is going to rev in excess of 10,000rpm low end power is less of a concern. Longer tubing will also help achieve a higher peak hp.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Monday, June 19, 2006 5:05 PM
Ohh3SunFire wrote:i wish i could tell ya his name for some reason jason sticks in my head....they were at my school for advertisement program with matco tools. the team was from maryland...i was told their best dyno pull was around 1600hp on the dragster. Jason hunt (orange cobalt)

That my friend is Brian Ballerds Cobalt. Jason Hunts Team Mate in CSI Racing. Jason Hunt races a Pro Front Wheel Drive Cobalt for CSI.

Monday, June 19, 2006 5:28 PM
I'm still partial to Tom Schambaugh's (sp?) Cav.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Monday, June 19, 2006 5:33 PM
well i looked it at more and saw their using a F.A.S.T. ems

also, whats the deal with the GM eco manifold? i thought it wouldnt fit a stock cavalier/cobalt without moving the core support foward. i read on a site that it will fit a stock car.

looks like its snug in there.

Monday, June 19, 2006 7:02 PM
Quote:

also, whats the deal with the GM eco manifold? i thought it wouldnt fit a stock cavalier/cobalt without moving the core support foward. i read on a site that it will fit a stock car.

They are using a 4t65 trans which means the angle of the engine is more downwards vs stock location. When you trim under the rad support the manifold will slid right under it.

Monday, June 19, 2006 7:11 PM
John H [Cavalierkid wrote:]

Has anyone that ever told you that ever actually tried to install it??? I could care less if it fits or not, i just like how everyone knows without ever testing it.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 12:40 AM
Quote:

as anyone that ever told you that ever actually tried to install it??? I could care less if it fits or not, i just like how everyone knows without ever testing it.

i dont know anyone that even has it.. just hear say. thats why i asked

Quote:

They are using a 4t65 trans which means the angle of the engine is more downwards vs stock location. When you trim under the rad support the manifold will slid right under it

is the 4t65 THAT much difference from the standarded 5speed? how much more of an angle are we talking about?
and i know it says it will accept a 75mm ls1 tb, but will a standared one fit? i dont think i need one that big on a STREET car.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 1:06 PM
John H [Cavalierkid wrote:]
Quote:

as anyone that ever told you that ever actually tried to install it??? I could care less if it fits or not, i just like how everyone knows without ever testing it.

i dont know anyone that even has it.. just hear say. thats why i asked

Quote:

They are using a 4t65 trans which means the angle of the engine is more downwards vs stock location. When you trim under the rad support the manifold will slid right under it

is the 4t65 THAT much difference from the standarded 5speed? how much more of an angle are we talking about?

26 degrees.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search