eco s/c, upgrading cluch, should I get flywheel ? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
eco s/c, upgrading cluch, should I get flywheel ?
Saturday, June 10, 2006 6:59 AM
hi

I'd like to know the pros and cons of an upgraded flywheel on a supercharger setup... I'm probably going to have to get a better clutch since my stock one started having trouble grabbing. I figure since I'm in the trans I might as well upgrade the flywheel too, but I've heard a flywheel is not ALWAYS a good idea to have, like say in a turbo car I think it's better with stock flywheel...

15.574 @ 89 mph stock without charger. new times with charger coming soon.

Re: eco s/c, upgrading cluch, should I get flywheel ?
Saturday, June 10, 2006 7:44 AM
I've got a SPEC stage III clutch and flywheell combo and it works good for me. Of course I've had the clutch and flywheel for about 2 years now so not sure of the difference if I had a stock flywheel.

Car revs fast still with the charger although it has stop coming down in the rpms so fast since I put the charger on (when shifting or pressingin the clutch). Guess it takes a bit to stop the F/I and that holds the engine rpm a bit longer than when I was N/A.

Maybe some more experienced folks can give you better answer but I've got no issue driving mine with the flywheel!

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?
Re: eco s/c, upgrading cluch, should I get flywheel ?
Saturday, June 10, 2006 7:49 AM
the light weight flywheel is better for road course and that kind of racing.

if you will be drag racing the stock flywheel will be a better choice because of the weight.
weight = more momentum and it will stay spinning fast longer.

where as light weight the rpm will just drop off.

a couple guys i work w/ are drag racers(v8) but they all insist on heavier flywheels to keep the rpms up so they can stay in there powerband

*************Yea i spell liek wrong get over it*****************
** If i write in caps its cause im @ work and i can only write in caps cause the keyboard is a retarded CAPS only keyboard.**
Re: eco s/c, upgrading cluch, should I get flywhee
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:13 AM
anymore input on this ?

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:53 AM
get the spec stage 2 clutch , and keep the stock flywheel

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 9:02 AM
97cavie plz check your PMs

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 9:46 AM
i have the spec flywheel, and everyone i know does too. i couldnt be happier.

some proof i know of.

98 z24 that my buddy has- he ran 15.0 with that flywheel clutch combo and a intake/ motor mounts. it dropped alot off his times( dont want to give exact #S, as i dont know them).

I would go for it.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 10:17 AM
as fast as the eco revs with the s/c , a light flywheel will cause traction issues

as well as be alot harder to launch at the track or on the street

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:13 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]as fast as the eco revs with the s/c , a light flywheel will cause traction issues

as well as be alot harder to launch at the track or on the street

I'll second that statement!! Since I've added the Eco charger I'm having to relearn how to launch the car! On top of that, I lost my light weight crank pulley which beleive it or not, made a big difference in the feel.

I still like the flywheel but I can't launch at 5,000rpm anymore....been going at 3,500 and I think that may be too high as well. But yes...launching the car now is harder than before!

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 1:09 PM
well md ld9 has my 2.0 eco pulley , so hopefully there will be a light weight pulley for the 2.0 and 2.2 eco's very soon

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search