End tank config...what did you use.. - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
End tank config...what did you use..
Tuesday, June 06, 2006 2:31 PM
For those who don't know I spun a rod bearing on my 01 2200 last fall. I am currently in the process of getting a turbo kit together and building my ohv. I wanted to know what end tank configuration people were using and if there were any benefits to using one style over another.

Based off of what I came up with to ease the install of the I.C. and the shortest routing of charge piping on the ohv would be to remove the windshield washer reservoir and use an inter-cooler with end tanks that allow the inlet and outlet on the same side. Here is a link to a picture of what I'm talking about just in case I confused anybody.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/parts/icpics/18inchic-sameside.jpg

Are there any pros or cons to using this style of inter-cooler

thanks Jeff

Re: End tank config...what did you use..
Tuesday, June 06, 2006 5:07 PM
That is the same intercooler I run. It's super efficient (80-85, flows upto 1100 cfm with 1.5 psi pressure drop, etc, etc. I feel that style is the best you can run. I still don't really know why people use the long intercoolers with the small tanks. Probaby because they are cheaper.

Curtis
91' Turbo Z24
http://www.turboz24.com
Tuesday, June 06, 2006 5:51 PM
Curtis thanks for the info. I also want to add that I love your 2nd gen its one of the best in my honest opinion. I remember searching the net when i was 15 looking at cavaliers and I found your car on the net.. Sweet ride how long have you been boosted?

anyway back onto topic does anybody else have any input or first hand experience on using an inter-cooler with the end tanks configured like the one in the link?

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 6:14 PM
same type of ic i use when my car runs that is!! lol

Sunday, June 11, 2006 4:32 PM
No body else is using this style?

Monday, June 12, 2006 7:15 PM
I used the same intercooler on Jux's turbo wagon also.

As for my car, technically it's been boosted since like 99', but I'm about to downgrade it back to a stock motor and use the engine for something else. I should have never build a turbo FWD V6 car, it's useless at the track (shears my DSS axles or the tranny blows), I can't road race it or autocross it, so the only "fun" is at 80+ mph. And I even managed to blow a differential then a while back.

Curtis
91' Turbo Z24
Monday, June 12, 2006 7:36 PM
Curtis Walker wrote:That is the same intercooler I run. It's super efficient (80-85, flows upto 1100 cfm with 1.5 psi pressure drop, etc, etc. I feel that style is the best you can run. I still don't really know why people use the long intercoolers with the small tanks. Probaby because they are cheaper.

MOST of the time using a ic design with both pipes gong out the same way will make you use more pipe, which is not good. I would never use one.
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 6:25 PM
???

I guess it would all depend on the engine layout. If your Turbo and throttlebody sit on the same side of the enigne compartment, sure it's shorter pipes, not to mention that the intercooler we are refering to can also have the tank outlets point in different directions.

My turbo to intercooler charge pips is like 1-1.5 feet, my intercooler to throttlebody pipe is probably 3 feet. I have seen plenty of instances where people with the long intercooler with small end tanks end up wrapping the charge pipe up and back over the top of the intercooler anyway, so how does that save pipe?

Curtis
91' Turbo Z24
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 7:12 PM
Curtis Walker wrote:???

I guess it would all depend on the engine layout. If your Turbo and throttlebody sit on the same side of the enigne compartment, sure it's shorter pipes, not to mention that the intercooler we are refering to can also have the tank outlets point in different directions.

My turbo to intercooler charge pips is like 1-1.5 feet, my intercooler to throttlebody pipe is probably 3 feet. I have seen plenty of instances where people with the long intercooler with small end tanks end up wrapping the charge pipe up and back over the top of the intercooler anyway, so how does that save pipe?

mine is like 2 feet total, and im able to have a much larger intercooler.
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 10:33 PM
Kyle are you talking about your cavalier or your dsm? With my 2.2 ohv I would have very short piping with the intercooler I linked to, and Its not like I will be making ungodly power from my ln2. So I think this one will work the best.

Out of curiosity why so many dsms?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search