turboed automatic - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
turboed automatic
Monday, June 12, 2006 12:31 PM
how much power can you add by turboing an automatic, I dont know much about them, so any help would be appreciated

Re: turboed automatic
Monday, June 12, 2006 12:47 PM
that's a very vaugue question. you can add 10hp or you can add 110hp.

Monday, June 12, 2006 1:19 PM
Just as much as you can with a manual transmission, problem is the auto takes a little more away to the ground.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, June 12, 2006 4:29 PM
sorry for such a vauge question, Basicly I was just asking about the differences between turboing an auto compared to a manual. I know nothing of turbos, and I am considering turboing my 2200 auto, and I was just wondering if it would be worth it or not.

Monday, June 12, 2006 8:32 PM
im boosted on an automatic... tranny makes no difference as it has nothing to do with the turbo install... you could use the power you are adding more effiecently with a manual, thats about it... but as far as parts and install is concerned... its the same thing... i didnt run into any special things i had to do because i am on an auto tranny.

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Monday, June 12, 2006 9:25 PM
how many horsepower gain to you get after this etc?

Monday, June 12, 2006 10:17 PM
sorry to kind of jack the thread but i bet your wondering if people move things around in the engine bay to make room for the turbo and to kinda get an idea of what they did, because i know thats what im wondering because from what i have heard it is slightly more difficuly to turbo your auto. im just lookin for some help too.
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:19 AM
quote=steve ennen]how many horsepower gain to you get after this etc? you could get 20hp or you could get 110hp depending on how much boost you run and how the boost system is built.

tyler Klein wrote:sorry to kind of jack the thread but i bet your wondering if people move things around in the engine bay to make room for the turbo and to kinda get an idea of what they did, because i know thats what im wondering because from what i have heard it is slightly more difficuly to turbo your auto. im just lookin for some help too.
turboing an auto is no different then turboing a 5spd. some like the auto because you can load up the turbo before launch by utilizing the torque converter. myself i like having a boosted auto.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:51 AM
automatics will sap more engine power but you can get some of that back with shift kit and convertor. its not uncomon for turbo cars to be automatic
there is the grand national,Gmc typhoon, turbo trans am and there was the turbo coupe of the 1980s
I think biggest problem some one would have is the j bods automatic
I know The focus 's auto trans has performance rebuild
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 10:08 AM
the 4T40E is a very good transmission and takes well to shift improvers.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 2:57 PM
thanks alot for all of your help guys

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:26 PM
im about to boost my sunfire 2.4L and i think i'm probably going to need a top mount turbo manifold because my transaxel will probably interfere with the manifold/turbo. then again its a small turbo so i may be ok but i'll never really know until i get it on lol. but hey, this passion is all about customization and fabrication lol. it would'nt be fun unless there was a challenge involved. then when you're out there smokin hondas you can take pride in your "Built, not Bought" car.
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:32 PM
you dont NEED a top mount... especially with a 'small' turbo...

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:28 AM
So let take a vote and see who thinks my auto will blow up around 300hp-320hp?
I do!!!!!

We will find out next summer when the full build is done! Im already expecting it to,
I just want to see it actually happen, then get some pics!
Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:38 AM
Phil Lindsay wrote:So let take a vote and see who thinks my auto will blow up around 300hp-320hp?
I do!!!!!

We will find out next summer when the full build is done! Im already expecting it to,

I've already found out. It doesn't.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:47 AM
Chris Taylor wrote:im about to boost my sunfire 2.4L and i think i'm probably going to need a top mount turbo manifold because my transaxel will probably interfere with the manifold/turbo. then again its a small turbo so i may be ok but i'll never really know until i get it on lol. but hey, this passion is all about customization and fabrication lol. it would'nt be fun unless there was a challenge involved. then when you're out there smokin hondas you can take pride in your "Built, not Bought" car.

I have a GT30 on my 2.4 auto and I have a log mani.. There is probably plenty more for a GT35.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:33 AM
Skilz10179 wrote:
Phil Lindsay wrote:So let take a vote and see who thinks my auto will blow up around 300hp-320hp?
I do!!!!!

"IT DOESNT WHAT?"
Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:56 AM
Quote:

I have a GT30 on my 2.4 auto and I have a log mani.. There is probably plenty more for a GT35.

ah ok thats cool. good to know. ill get a nicer turbo as soon as i can this one isnt bad its just kinda small for my car
Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:01 AM
Phil Lindsay wrote:
Skilz10179 wrote:
I do!!!!!

"IT DOESNT WHAT?"

It doesn't blow up with 300hp-320hp.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:12 AM
with stock internals? you will probably run a risk of SOMETHING breaking its just a matter of how long. also doggin the piss out of it never helps either lol. but if you have your motor built for boost you should hold fine. i know the stock 2.4L has 9.5:1 compression which should hold pretty decent under boost as long as you dont get too crazy. but it should hold fine up to 300hp as long as oil flow can keep up. make sure you have enough oil in it at all times lol. those quads like to go low on ya.
Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:52 AM
We're talking about the trans here not the motor.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 3:03 PM
oh @!#$ lol now that i reread the question... yeah we are talkin about the trans... ha
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search