How much PSI with GM ECO S/C - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How much PSI with GM ECO S/C
Monday, June 12, 2006 6:38 AM
Hey guys,

I'm just curious:

1) How much boost are you seeing (on stock pulley)
a) Those with the factory purchased kit
b) Those with the Cobalt/Ion purchased parts

2) Those of you who have dynoed how much HP TQ are you putting down?
a) For those of you with bolt ons or less
b) For those of you with more

I am just curious to see where I am sitting because I think I might have a defective kit. I had the dealer look at it last Friday and they claimed they don't see anything wrong. I'm getting 8 PSI and only seeing 197 WHP. Granted I should not complain about such a large increase from stock except it's lower then I would have expected. The kit stated it was 10-11 PSI and the Cobalt SS guys are putting down more HP than I am.

Thanks for your help because I'm trying to get them to replace my kit just incase there is something wrong but I need to know that I am in the right for thinking there is something wrong.

Re: How much PSI with GM ECO S/C
Monday, June 12, 2006 8:04 AM
The cobalt ss guys will see more boost on the LSJ motor because its a smaller displacement and if your making 197 to the wheels thats identical to some stock LSJ dynos, i dont think theres anything defective with your kit, have you hooked up any type of data logging to check AFRs and if your getting any knock?

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Monday, June 12, 2006 8:13 AM
Well that is why 10-11 PSI seems to make sense to me considering the stock SS guys I run with are seeing 11-12. The displacement really isn' that much of a difference to drop me 3 psi. Plus the kit did state 10-11. And if you think about it. 10-11 psi would make for a bit more generous power gain then I am experiencing. And again the Cobalt SS guys went on the same dyno and where seeing 203-207 WHP. It just seems to me like I'm getting less than I thought I was paying for.

Monday, June 12, 2006 8:32 AM
To me, I always expected the Ecotec S/C kit to be close to the 2.0L LSJ SS engine numbers, but not same or better by any means. Again, this is just personally... I don't have my kit yet so I can't compare.

And when you see 8psi of boost, is this all the time, or after beating on it a bit, hot or cold temperatures, etc...

What octane of fuel are you using?

J-Body Club of Ontario (JCO)
Monday, June 12, 2006 8:48 AM
i run an average of 10 psi and 11 psi on a cold day stock pulley.

Monday, June 12, 2006 9:01 AM
You are pulling good numbers!
There have been "reports" from LSJ owners from 182-216 whp (all were inconsistent for being the same engine). You can tinker with dyno #s to show more-- for winning bragging rights. The dyno where I go showed 186 whp on a RL on record.
Hell, we were able to make as high as 201whp on my S/C on one test lol. In reality it registered 178 whp.
Dyno results should be taken with a grain of salt when it comes to comparing and LSJ tests just like many other cars should not be taken as "written in stone" just because of variable therefore questionable.
Thats what I learned from the local Dynojet guys.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, June 12, 2006 9:57 AM
I know what you mean Mr. Goodwrench but I'm basing it on we went to dyno the same day, at the same place. Only an hour difference between my last pull and the Cobalts last pull.

cyklone I see 8 psi when i am on it. I have to be above 3000 RPM to hit 8 PSI anyway. Below that I peak at 5-6 PSI.

Phlatcav are you intercooled or no? I have the exact same cooler setup as the Cobalt SS.

Monday, June 12, 2006 10:18 AM
yes i am, i was a constant 11psi then after the cooler it dropped to 10psi

Monday, June 12, 2006 10:43 AM
the CARB info states that the kit is 10 psi max on the 3.35 pulley

also gm claims 200 hp , and your at that

Monday, June 12, 2006 11:35 AM
i thought they only claimed 175 HP on the eco kit?

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Monday, June 12, 2006 11:50 AM
175 wouldnt make sense since the 2.4 kit was 45 hp and half the boost of what the eco puts out

Monday, June 12, 2006 12:39 PM
I wonder why plhatcav seems more psi than encriptor.... maybe it has to do with elevation or stuff like that ? man I can't wait to have my friggin' boost gauge hooked up...

15.574 @ 89 mph stock without charger. new times with charger coming soon.
Monday, June 12, 2006 12:49 PM
elevation and temp outside can play a part aswell as the car itself. 2 identical cars can run a slight difference in psi. maybe a pound or 2. kinda like 2 identical cars on the same dyno on the same day can end up within 5hp of eachother.

Monday, June 12, 2006 12:58 PM
I see up to 9 psi on mine, but that's with a fill 2.5" madrel exhaust with a hi flo cat.

Monday, June 12, 2006 2:26 PM
If I get into it hard, with a non-intercooled kit, I see about 10-11. that is in second at WOT and higher revs. normally I am in the 8-9 range with medium throttle. Normal driving I almost never see boost as I baby it.

Now I have seen 12.5, but that was in the 30 degree range and WOT at night on a relatively cool SC unit as well.

I have not dynoed, nor don't have any intention to for a while (mainly $$). This is on a fully stock car including exhaust sans the SC as far as the drivetrain. Any question see my profile.

Monday, June 12, 2006 3:41 PM
Blown DanteMustDie wrote:I wonder why plhatcav seems more psi than encriptor.... maybe it has to do with elevation or stuff like that ? man I can't wait to have my friggin' boost gauge hooked up...

elevation shouldn't enter into it, me and Encriptor are in Jersey, just about AT sea level... Kentucky should be either the same, or higher... the only way Phlat should be making more PSI due to altitude is if he were at a lower one.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Monday, June 12, 2006 5:08 PM
okay, on the way home I had to see what I was pushing for boost. When I got off the highway I wanted to see where I stood. This was with a heat soaked SC unit (50 miles highway driving) and it is about 68-70 outside. At the top of first I was at 10psi, top of second=10+psi, top of third gear=11psi, top of 4th 11psi.

I don't know why yours is different, and this is with the stock SC pulley as well.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 5:37 AM
Thanks for the information guys. I'm waiting for a tech from the dealer to call me back. I see 8 psi at WOT in any gear above 3,000 RPM. Most of the time I not in boost, and if I am at half throttle or below 3000 RPM the highest it ever goes is 5 psi. Usually I only see it go about 1 psi when accelerating around town if I don't go WOT.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:10 AM
Marchi1 wrote:okay, on the way home I had to see what I was pushing for boost. When I got off the highway I wanted to see where I stood. This was with a heat soaked SC unit (50 miles highway driving) and it is about 68-70 outside. At the top of first I was at 10psi, top of second=10+psi, top of third gear=11psi, top of 4th 11psi.

I don't know why yours is different, and this is with the stock SC pulley as well.
heat soak wouldn't be a factor. if your driving down the hgwy, a rather large blast of cold air is coming in you grill right at the S/C. heat soak happens when your not moving in traffic or only moving very slowly. course it also happens when your stopped with the hood down.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 10:23 AM
Here is a quik 10psi spike, it was about 85 and humid that day.

CLICK CLICK

the vid is an attachment twards the right of the thread marked (download)

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:01 PM
Is your bypass valve adjusted correctly? would be something quick and easy to explain a lack of boost.....

You haven't done anything really stupid like a underdriven crank pulley or anything, at least not that I can remember. Let us know what they tell you as this is interesting.....

The heat soak comment is realted to power, as I can feel the difference between when the car is cool and when it has been driving down the road for a while, and the drive home is up I75 in Detriot, so yeah stop and go is a factor.....

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 5:59 PM
Marchi1, you mentioned how the bypass valve is adjusted as being a factor. How should it be adjusted? Is there a way to test if it's adjusted correctly? Thanks
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 7:43 PM
maybe you are havin a psi loss to your boost guage.......?? a slight loss..

get a scanner(tech 2) ans see what the actual pis level is

*************Yea i spell liek wrong get over it*****************
** If i write in caps its cause im @ work and i can only write in caps cause the keyboard is a retarded CAPS only keyboard.**
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 3:13 AM
When I installed my SC unit I noticed that I didn't seem to be pulling full boost. what had happened was when I did the reassembly of the unit after having it polished is that the byass valve wasn't quite fully closed under boost.

I found this out looking at airtonics car, when the car is off the actuating lever should just barely touch the plunger coming off the vacuum module. I actually adjusted my module back so that they don't touch at all so that way I am assured of having full boost (saw it on one of the SS net forums) don't know if it is generally considered a good idea to do that, but I did and it works fine and still pulling close to 30 MPG average with city and highway combined......

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 6:03 AM
See I personally thought that the bypass valve could be the issue as well. But when the tech looked at it he told me everything was setup properly. I didn't touch it though because I didn't want to start messing with variables before the dealer looked at it, if it was a warranty issue. Maybe I will try to look at adjusting that valve this weekend and see if I can pull a little more boost.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search