Heat Soak? Eco Charger - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Heat Soak? Eco Charger
Saturday, June 10, 2006 7:41 AM
Got a question for the supercharger brains out there! Today the weather has been beautiful here in Germany, mid 70s, low humidity...just a picture perfect day!

Problem though....I think I may be having some heat soak issues out of the charger. Got my reflash done yesterday so today of course I have drove everywhere and stayed in it pretty hard most of the time. It's just too fun not too!!!

Does the Eco charger heat soak and has anyone else running the eco charger noticed it too? It sort of does this...runs great and then the engine temps come up about 20 degrees from hard driving. I have a loss of power, almost a stumble below 3,000 rpm. But above 3,000 rpm, it picks back up and runs fine.

So, is that heat soak? Also, with the heat exchanger hooked up, should I see this problem go away to a certain extent. Sure if I'm all over it for a good period of time it will again but not so fast?

Is this something else?

Thanks!

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?

Re: Heat Soak? Eco Charger
Saturday, June 10, 2006 7:46 AM
yea mine ran a bit hot before the intercooler setup so i would not worry man. I would replace that breather on ur cam cover with a hose to your s-tube though < i have a theory about that and ill tell ya later

Saturday, June 10, 2006 8:02 AM
Never thought of that....I had a hose before and it never did this. A friend of mine here said his does what mine did and he has a little breather on his cam cover?? It's an Ecotec too...may be on to something there!

Hmmm....going to run a hose there now! See how that works!

So a little heat soak and maybe the brether huh?

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?
Saturday, June 10, 2006 8:18 AM
From what I've noticed I haven't had any heat soaking problems yet.

Saturday, June 10, 2006 8:52 AM
well the little breather bigs me for somereason, i noticed my car runs alot better with the pcv hose ran to the intake rather than a breather. not sure why but maybe the crank case is getting to much air? I dont honestly know im just going with my person experience.

once you get the intercooler done you will be able to drive for 5 hours and touch the manifold and it should feel like its been in the garage all day . but the supercharger itself will be hot

Saturday, June 10, 2006 11:28 AM
Thanks Aaron....so is that what heat soak feels like then....a little stumble at lower rpms and fine at higher rpms?

Saturday, June 10, 2006 6:01 PM
i havent noticed that in the g/fs cav , but then ive still got 87 in it and havent driven it much

but im taking it out tonight , and ill let you know how it goes

the ic stuff isnt hooked up yet

Sunday, June 11, 2006 12:49 AM
well i have noticed a flat spot , when accelorating , i never noticed the rpm it happened at

and the motor does fall after a hard quick shift , just like it did before

i did notice that the speed gov went from 105 to very close to 110 , kinda pissed off a nsx on the freeway , LOL

Sunday, June 11, 2006 6:31 AM
Care to explain the details of the nsx?

--------------------------------------
04 Cavalier LS Sport- Red with factory silver stripes.
16.186 @ 86.98mph
Sunday, June 11, 2006 9:16 AM
haven't noticed any heatsoaking yet... but I'm not quite sure what to look for... the temps stay steady in the middle until I stop for too long, but as long as I'm driving and not stopped in traffic the temps stay there... I don't drive for hours beating it though....

15.574 @ 89 mph stock without charger. new times with charger coming soon.
Sunday, June 11, 2006 2:39 PM
cavs staying next to a nsx will piss off the driver

the heat soaking is the s/c it self gettng to hot , from hitting boost over and over , as well as it just being hot under the hood

Sunday, June 11, 2006 4:44 PM
I would have liked to see the face on that drivers face. But anyways, heat soaking the charger you probably feel a lack of performance, I feel that on my n/a eco when it gets real hot.

--------------------------------------
04 Cavalier LS Sport- Red with factory silver stripes.
16.186 @ 86.98mph
Monday, June 12, 2006 1:04 AM
That pretty much sounds like it only thing is I have power still above 3,000rpm...below that though I feel a loss of power.

I'll fix that with the intercooler and all I think? To an extent anyway!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:17 PM
Didn't want to start another topic since it's the same thing really....

Still seeing a power loss at lower rpms...a stumble more so? It just doesn't want to go. Only does this after the car warms up to operating temps but I can turn the car off and then restart it and it's fine for a bit, then does it again?

Above 3,000 it seems to have power back though. I've not installed my boost gauge to see what I'm getting boost wise but not sure it would help?

I guess I'll try my scan tool to see if I can see anything but still open for thoughts on this if you have any.

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:22 PM
you might be able to use the machined supercharger housing that Intense sells for the cobalt ss, they both use the M62, they machine them for better flow and to eliminate hot spots

Check it out

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 5:02 PM
i'm pretty sure with the intercooler hooked up, especially with that massive ass heat exchanger you're using, that you won't have any problems with heatsoak.... ever. As for your current issue i'm not sure if thats heat soak or not as the application of the word heatsoak is pretty liberal around here... moreso used as a "riceboy excuse" for bad times. But I bet if you pulled over right after a run and felt the charger it wouldn't be all that hot since its right there at the front of the edge of the hood where a lot of air can get in to help cool it.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 1:21 AM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:i'm pretty sure with the intercooler hooked up, especially with that massive ass heat exchanger you're using, that you won't have any problems with heatsoak.... ever. As for your current issue i'm not sure if thats heat soak or not as the application of the word heatsoak is pretty liberal around here... moreso used as a "riceboy excuse" for bad times. But I bet if you pulled over right after a run and felt the charger it wouldn't be all that hot since its right there at the front of the edge of the hood where a lot of air can get in to help cool it.

You like my heat exchanger huh? haha...it should work out good I think...

Yeah, I don't think it's heat soak either. There is just a loss of power there. Saw a post about the bypass valve and being adjusted wrong. Anyone have info on that? What about an injector issue....could that be something to look for?

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 8:14 AM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:i'm pretty sure with the intercooler hooked up, especially with that massive ass heat exchanger you're using, that you won't have any problems with heatsoak.... ever. As for your current issue i'm not sure if thats heat soak or not as the application of the word heatsoak is pretty liberal around here... moreso used as a "riceboy excuse" for bad times. But I bet if you pulled over right after a run and felt the charger it wouldn't be all that hot since its right there at the front of the edge of the hood where a lot of air can get in to help cool it.

even in the front my SC gets realy hot, only thing cool to the touch is the manifold.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 11:21 AM
perhaps your IAT is not functioning quite properly.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 8:17 PM
Your charger should be hot, as it is compressing the air and that generates heat, and lots of it as well. if the manifold is intercooled then it should be cool to the touch, if not it will be kinda warm as well

There may be airflow through the front but not a substantial enough to cool the rotor housing down......

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search