Gas mileage question - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gas mileage question
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:26 AM
I've always read that when not in boost, the gas mileage of a vehicle increases. Why would this be? I was thinking possibly because the inlet air is cooler from the intercooler. Any connection with this?

-Thanks

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265283

Re: Gas mileage question
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 10:13 AM
never realy heard of mileage increasing but some have atleast had it not decrease by using a light foot.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:20 PM
When not boosting, generally speaking, the car should get the same amount of gas mileage as a stock motor.

Yes, there is air coming through the intercooler but you must remember, an intercooler's function is to cool the heated air coming from the turbo. So, when not boosting, the air coming through the intercooler would be the same temperature as the air coming through an air filter.

Adam Hahn

Street-Legal 2003 Sunfire 10.58 @ 139 MPH
Thursday, April 27, 2006 11:04 AM
Well I've been getting better gas mileage since boosted but it's just because I don't need to use that much throttle anymore to go the same pace. And I'm only seeing like 1-3 mpg better depending on where I am driving so it isn't very significant.

Thursday, April 27, 2006 12:29 PM
Its called Reaching max Volume Metric Effenictiny.

Average N/A cars reach about 80-90%

Now driving down the high way not making boost, but just enough for reach 100% means I am getting the most out of each burn. no waste.
I am too lazy to explain everything, but you should get the idea.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search