few questions on engine build up.. - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
few questions on engine build up..
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 4:02 PM
engine... 2001 LD9

ok first is the timing chain.... is there only OEM ones? or is there any up grades for this?

oil pump - I see Jbody performance has a High Pressure Oil Pump for the 2.4L... think its work it? or just still to a 2.3L conversion? ( i will email JBP and ask them if they think it would work for what is going on with my engine and see what they say too)

and gaskets... is there any where that sells a kit? not the head gaskets but all the other random ones that dont need to have special ones...

and i know there is more questions but i cant remember them right off hand right now...

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno

Re: few questions on engine build up..
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 4:10 PM
I believe the OEM timing chain will be fine.

If you can get the 2.3 oil conversion done, Id go ahead and to that.. Me, there wasn't anybody in town that I would trust drilling my block so I went with the JBO highflow pump and im trying to get my neutral balance shafts done as well but their backed up on that.

I got all my gaskets from Napa, not the headgasket but the Misc ones like you mentioned.

Hope that helps.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 4:18 PM
timing chain, all you have is stock unless you want to swap to a 2.3 double roller, but there is a downfall to that, you have to get a 2.3 timing chain cover which doesn't have a oil cap on it so you would have to find another way to get oil in the motor, 2.when using the 2.3 timing chain housing you have to have a shim on the harmonic balancer to space it out other wise it will hit the timing chain cover, which in turn you will have space out everything on the belt drive system that far. and if you plan on revving in the 7k zone you'll need a new timing chain crank gear built out of better material.

oil pump, cant comment on jbp, im running the 2.3 pump with no problems, if i blow my motor im building the next with a dry sump oil pump.

gaskets, napa, your looking in the $300 range for a full engine gasket kit

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 4:35 PM
get sunfighter gt in here, he knows quite a bit, but isnt usually up to sharing much info, but maybe he can shed some light on the timing chain issue, and I bet he will say a big neh to the JBP oil pump.
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 4:39 PM
im keeping the RPM's to stock... nothing will change there...

and i think ill just stick to the OEM one.. i like the double roller idea from the 2.3L but thats just to much hastle for it...

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:06 PM
Fst Cavy wrote:get sunfighter gt in here, he knows quite a bit, but isnt usually up to sharing much info.

ahahaha

Blew it up, build numbers coming soon
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:12 PM
As far as I have found and spoken to others about there is no aftermarket chain for us, sadly...

Brian (SpeedRacerZ) suggested converting to the double roller 2.3 setup but that involves spacing out the crank pulley and correlating pulleys to deal with that... (Which Brandon has mentioned here)

The weakness Mike Karas ran into was with the Crank Timing Chain Gear... he was cracking it at higher than stock RPM's... (which is a concern for me)

The 2.3 pump works well for the LD9... I am personally going with the JBP pump. Mev told me how and why it makes more pressure and it makes sense... anybody that thinks it's a stock pump hasn't gotten one and given it a good look. Josh MSN me and I'll let you know a bit of what he does with it.

Oh and by the way at the power I know you want to make the chain more than likely will stretch... I can't even get an undersized chain if I wanted (and I do)... so all I can say is deal with the tensioner and make sure it can take up all the slack that will eventually happen with the stocker.

Lastly I know Mev uses a gasket kit (that includes the headgasket sadly).... maybe contact him and find out where he gets it. As Brandon said phone Napa I'm sure everybody has their sources... Mev being in Canada might help you out though.

Good luck man.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:14 PM
Felpro sells one. Contact Aaron at turbotech

Blew it up, build numbers coming soon
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:40 PM
Chris I am proud of you. The demeanor of that response was nothing that I had expected!! You do know quite a bit about the 2.4's, and we need epople like you to stick around, a lot of the 2.4 guru's are abandoning ship, not that we can blame them but....good information
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 10:05 PM
factory pump is too small and spins too fast, if building an engine, get the pictures, and buy my drive gear and windage tray off ebay, and do the swap. , the 2.3 pump is larger and spins at a lower speed, so if can provide better oil flow at high RPM's (autoX) and the pickup is designed better.

Stock timing chain is way more than is needed for 4-500 HP, but to hit that mark, you won't be worrying about small issues like this. Removing the balance shafts and going with the 2.3 pump swap and balanced engine is a smooth running engine, I notice almost no difference if any at all when my car run's. I notice Karos motor mounts 10 times more.

when I drilled my block, it took NAPA drill bit kit and a cheap Dewalt drill. then I got all the old holes (5) welded shut for 35 bucks, really cheap swap and worth it to prolong your engine life.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search