Oil Restrictor - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil Restrictor
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 7:49 PM
what are people using for a oil line restrictor, i'm pretty sure the oil pressure is getting to high (i don't have a gauge hooked up yet) and is getting by the seals on the turbo,..the exhaust smokes a little to much under boost

also how much pressure is in the return line? if i have a slight hole in the fill tube, is there enough pressure to blow the oil out of the fill tube?

Re: Oil Restrictor
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 9:09 PM
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-OIL-022&Category_Code=OIL

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 5:28 AM
Well i have a 2.4L motor so i hope this helps you......i used the restrictor from atp....I was seeing pressures at about 30 cold and damn near 0 when hot.....when i was at WOT they would see about 25 or so......i talk to a guy at phoenix Turbo aka cheapturbo.com......and i told him and he told me to remove the restrictor.....now i see pressures at about 40 cold 10 hot andabout 20-30 WOT....i have slight seepage from turbo being new and everything but nothin major pouring out

As far as pressure goes in the return line....yeah i would say there is pressure but not alot maybe a few lbs....depending on where the hole is i would say it might blow out....but i would recommend getting it fixed just to be safe

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:17 AM
how did you find out the pressure at the turbo?? if i were to put the pressure gauge fitting at the block, wouldn't that messure the pressure before the restrictor?

and the hole i'm fixing today, looks like oil is coming out of it

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:43 AM
Be careful with a restrictor. I've know guys to seize their turbos thinking that a restrictor would solve their smoking problems. How old is your turbo? Are you sure that the seals are not bad?

There is hardly any pressure on the return.

http://www.JunkyardTurbos.com
DIY and Junkyard Turbo Discussion
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 11:42 AM

I have a restrictor that I purchased from ebay- its designed to bolt to oil inlet, I guess to reduce the fittings needed...

However-- I do have a little oil on the bottom of the compressor housing after idling the vehicle for 10 minutes or so.. I cannot find any oil leaks on the fittings..

Are new turbos know for a little oil seepage when they are first used?

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 2:36 PM
there should be no pressure in the return.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 2:48 PM
turbo is almost new, about 2500 miles on it.. and it only smokes under boost..just hooked up my oil pressure gauge today "t" off the feed line.. and its gets up to 70psi at about 3500.. i can't really go much higher than that right now because of the smoke..

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:02 PM
DCStang67 wrote:there should be no pressure in the return.

true...there should be no pressure...i was thinking about the force of oil coming out of the return other that PSI.......it hard to explain my thinking but, i do agree with you......

If there was pressure backed up in the return you would of smoked the turbo by now...

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:08 PM
its not backed up on the lines, there is no level part of line, going straight down and no kinks.. i think its mostly to much pressure

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:38 PM
yeah i would think that too......my line comes out of the turbo with a 90 goes over the trans to the oil pan with a 90.......im not worried about oil return or anyhting...i talked to a few people at ATP turbo and Phoenix turbo and thay said the way im set up is good....but i do agree that straight down is the best....unfortunatly i did mine like that due to clearance issues...plus my T3 flange was welded further down that expected so thats is what i had to do.......but my guess is that you may have a feed issue....i do have a oil line at the turbo for my oil press guage.....so far so good..

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search