new to boost, need help - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
new to boost, need help
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 10:33 AM
i have a 03 manual cav and i wanna boost, i was looking at the hahn stage 2 kit, i was also looking at getting a greddy type rs bov. i was also looking at boost controlers , turbo xs High Performance dual stage and the greddy profec B-SPEC2, of the two i was wondering which was better, if they do the same thing, if it will work with the kit, ect.
also, i was wondering if there was anything else i should get, like an oil cooler or turbo timer, so on and so forth. last but not least, is there any thing else you guyz think i should know, this is al a little fuzzy(as far as the technical part goes).
oh and one last thing, does the hahn kit come with a down pipe and cat or just a down pipe or what and whats the ID if it does come with one. also is there any way around using the nasty lookin intercooler that hahn gives you with the kit?? something with some more surface area( with a drift body kit, theres a big hole to fill!!)

thanx guys, i know this is long and covers alot but i want to learn and not be a noob who blows his cavy up.
thanx again

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers

Re: new to boost, need help
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 1:59 PM
My setup is exactly as you just described. Im using the ecotec hahn turbo, injector, cartech FMU, Greddy type RS bov, Custom front mount intercooler and piping and dual stage turbo xs boost controller. I would go with the Greddy boost controller though...probably better quality and ive heard good things about it. As far as an intercooler goes Id basically buy an aftermarket one and piece your kit together like I kinda did. Read the facts about in the boost forum and youll know everything you will need to know about what you need for a custom turbo setup. Cehck out my cardomain page in my profile if you wanna see some pics.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 2:16 PM
-I would suggest a turbo timer for ANY turbo'd car.
-The kits come with a 2.25in downpipe and no cat.
-I personally think the IC they have is sexy, especially when painted flat black, but if you can get a IC with the same in and out setup as theirs you can use it.
-I would personally choose the Greddy Profec-B boost controller because I have used the Turbo XS Dual Stage and while sufficient for most it does not limit spikes or control the boost the way I would like it to.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 3:09 PM
a 2.25 downpipe on a turbo?!?!?!? are they nuts?!?!?! everyone i have talked to said i need 2.5 minimum,........ hhmmmmmmm. time to break out the tig welder

is there any way to do a sequential twin turbo setup??(just a thought)
and can you spray while boostin??

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:51 AM
I think you'll be better off with a single turbo setup, John. You can spray while boosting, but if you have a turbo that's good for your car, then you don't really need it. I've never been a big fan of nitrous in a street car though, so it's your call.

(website under construction)
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:49 AM
John VanCuran wrote:a 2.25 downpipe on a turbo?!?!?!? are they nuts?!?!?! everyone i have talked to said i need 2.5 minimum,........ hhmmmmmmm. time to break out the tig welder

Hahn has very impressive performance numbers and alot of testing behind their products. 2.25" may seem small but its performed great for them as well as a few custom turbo'd projects on the Org as well.

Yes, you can twin charge but a single turbo, well tuned setup will be more efficient and cost effective.

Yes, you can spray with boost but you have to take into account the strength and durability of your motor. Remember, you're injecting power into a motor that's already making plenty of it while in boost.

Blown.
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:58 AM
John VanCuran wrote:a 2.25 downpipe on a turbo?!?!?!? are they nuts?!?!?! everyone i have talked to said i need 2.5 minimum,........ hhmmmmmmm. time to break out the tig welder

Tell them they're wrong then...the people you've talked to that is. Hahn made 400+WHP with the 2.25in DP and I made 260WHP and 278 lb/ft @ 12PSI with it. It is on the smaller side for HUGE HP numbers though but it helps keep the low end torque numbers through the roof. You can feel free to step up to 3in DP if you want but your going to lose A LOT of low end grunt.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 11:39 AM
so the megan cat would do fine with this kit then??

do i need anything else like an oil cooler, electronic fuel management, ect. ect.,?

oh also im lookin for a rreally loud BOV, is the greddy type rs what im lookin for or does loudness depend on boost psi??

who makes a really good high flo cat?? and im assuming it has to be a dual sensor.

when i mount the O2 sensor for the aem wideband, do i mount it before or after the High flo cat?

should i use any special kind of oil or fuel while boostin??

anyone know how the greddy profec works and which is better the Type-S or the B-Spec 2??

well thats all i can think of for now so...
later

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 1:14 PM
I GOT A QUESTION TOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whats The Average Charge on a Turbo installation on a 99 Z24 ???????????????

and i want to get more psi so i would need internals , what would u
recommend to get first CAMS, PISTONS,RODS.etc...??????????????/

and How do i know what size of pistons and rods and cams or what ever it is that i should get firts should be???????????????????
ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ???? and any websites recommended???
Thanks.........

Oh and //John VanCuran. sorry about taking some space of urs..just thought this would be a good place to post this..... late.
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 5:32 PM
A Megan cat is your choice, you decide what company you want to purchase from for your exhaust needs. 94xxx series hi-flow cats from Magnaflow are pretty good, meaning not many have thrown codes. Whatever cat you buy, make sure it is OBD-II ready, meaning it has a bung for your o2 sensor.

An oil cooler isn't necessary, you decide if its worth the money. Keep in mind, some use it and some don't. The oil will get pretty hot pretty fast when the car is in boost often, which brings me to my next point - oil. Use a higher octane gasoline to help prevent detonation; I use at least 93 from the stations in my area. I'd also recommend upgrading to a quality, synthetic motor oil.

Yes, the volume of the BOV is related to the amount of boost you're running. I'm not completely sure how loud the Greddy BOV is so maybe someone else could chime in.

A wideband o2 sensor would be mounted before the cat somewhere in the DP. You should mount the sensor far enough away from the turbo so it is not destroyed. I've seen anywhere from 20-36" away, but 28" is what I've seen normally. I plan to mount my sensor near, but not in, the collector on my header.

BC's were already covered in the first few posts so I'd recommend rereading those.

Xplicit - Plan out some goals for your car THEN purchase parts. How do you know you'll be running enough power to need new internals? Read the FAQ's and Stickies at the top of the Boost and Performance forums, they have alot of answers to questions you probably have.

I apologize if something doesn't make sense, I just got out of an exam and I'm pretty worn out.

Blown.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search